Posted by Faryaab S. 1 year ago

S42

Samsung has just started to roll out a new Software Update for the Galaxy S4. Galaxy S4′s (Exynos + Qualcomm) first batch of firmwares suffered from a lot of issues, and many people complained about these issues to Samsung and on various forums. Thankfully, the new software update brings a ton of improvements, enhancements and fixes over the initial firmwares of Samsung’s flagship device.

As you may know, the 16GB variant of the Galaxy S4 comes only with 9.15GB of user accessible memory in which the user installs all his/her apps. The new update addresses this issue by giving the user the functionality to move apps to SD card and increasing the available storage to 9.23GB. This should solve customers’ complain about low user accessible storage. This is one of the enhancements in the update, rest of them are listed below.

Improvements and fixes in the new Software Update:
-New Camera firmware
-Smearing issue has been fixed (Purple effect while scrolling)
-Smart Pause Toggle
-Move Apps to SD Card
-HDR Video (Can record HDR video)
-Semi-transparent status bar
-New Icons in Settings
-Secure boot status (About Phone)
-Increase legibility (Display) (New feature)

Currently, the new software update is only available for the Snapdragon-powered Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) but our insider has confirmed that the new software update will be coming to the Exynos-powered Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500), as well. As of this moment, Samsung has only rolled out the new software update in Germany, we hope other countries will follow soon.

Firmware details:
Model: GT-I9505
Country: Germany
Version: Android 4.2.2
Changelist: 768421
Build date: Wed, 29 May 2013 16:05:23 +0000
Product Code: DBT
PDA: I9505XXUBMEA
CSC: I9505OXABMEA
MODEM: I9505XXUBMEA

The update is 365.67 MB in size and you can update your device via Samsung KIES or via FOTA (Firmware-Over-The-Air). Make sure to charge your device before performing the upgrade. You can use our Firmware Section to manually update your device if for some reason you can’t officially update your device via Samsung Kies or via OTA as you are using a Custom ROM or if your country has not yet received the new software update.

Screenshots:

Update: The same update is now available in India for the Exynos variant of the Galaxy S4.

Firmware details:
Model: GT-I9500
Country: India
Version: Android 4.2.2
Changelist: 768420
Build date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:52:45 +0000
Product Code: INS
PDA: I9500XXUBMEA
CSC: I9500ODDBMEA
MODEM: I9500DDUBMEA

BMduGGmCYAAiWM9 BMduK74CMAEQhQS

118 comments on “New Software Update rolling out for the Samsung Galaxy S4, brings enhancements and stability fixes

1. Tawa 1 year ago said:

Looks promising, I hope I9500′s update brings Exynos optimization.

2. juanbad 1 year ago said:

Love for our I9505 LTE :D

3. Ronaldo818 1 year ago said:

The update is available in China. Anyone did the update in any of the devices? Battery and overheating fixed?

4. mandingo 1 year ago said:

What about short batery life?

5. angeloumbao 1 year ago said:

What about battery life and performance? ui/games stuffs.

6. angeloumbao 1 year ago said:

but nice update anyways! :)

7. ahmed sharba 1 year ago said:

please whats about the overheating in the galaxy s4 GT9500

8. pipoo 1 year ago said:

Just flashed. Seems very good. Few bloatware included but will let you uninstall it. Like the semi-transparent status bar.

9. Aayush_13 1 year ago said:

Hey, any news when it’ll come to India???
    Model-I9500 (Exynos)
    Baseband Version- I9500DDUAMDK
    Build No.- JDQ39.I9500XXUAMDK

10. Steef 1 year ago said:

Purple smearing isn’t fixed. It’s reduced but def. not fixed. It’s still very clear within apps like Titanium backup. You can also see it in the settings app if you look closely.

• puten 1 year ago said:

Yeah, and when it will definitely fixed, you’ll say “It’s still very clear if you take a microscope and look very close and if you take your phone like this and look at him like that” etc etc etc. People will never stop complain…

• Steef 1 year ago said:

Come on men, try reading next time before posting such a stupid comment. You don’t see me complaining because I don’t care about it that much. I’m just saying it’s reduced so claiming it is fixed is false.
        Don’t be like the iSheep and defend your phone so hard, every phone has its flaws. The more we bring to the attention of the OEM the quicker it will be fixed. Don’t be an ass next time.

• onununo 1 year ago said:

Fully agree with Steef

Anyway. I seriously doubt the “purple smearing effect” will ever be fully solved, simply because it can’t. It’s merely slowness of the display response. In other words, it’s simply a peculiarity of such a high resolution display. Not that I care much, either.
          I would have appeciated much more a fix to the totally unacceptable headphones ringing problem at certain impedances, but this is also a hardware flaw, so… so far so good.

• Steef 1 year ago said:

So true, purple smearing will always be there because of the LED tech. But I’ve never noticed it on my S2 or S3 so there is some room left for improvement.
            But like you said, there are bigger issues to fix. For me thats performance, it is much improved but I still has a long way to go.

11. stefyno 1 year ago said:

Where is the HDR video option?

12. Sean473 1 year ago said:

Looks like Samsung doesn’t give a shit about the S3.. When is 4.2.2 update?

• pipoo 1 year ago said:

I think you should be crying on a different page mate.

• robertorocha 1 year ago said:

It’ll probably be out soon, next week or so i hope..
      It’s easy to understand, if they updated the S3 to the new version too soon they wouldn’t had sold so many S4.. especially the quad core one, i have a I9305 and the S4 it’s really not that better..

13. demlasjr 1 year ago said:

Now the question is: Can Samsung troll us by releasing other update removing the option to move the apps to sd-card ? Maybe because Google will sue them ?

Is the number of apps which can be moved limited or any app can be moved ?

I refused to buy the S4 until the 32gb version will be released, but now I may just buy the 16GB and move the apps on the sd-card….

14. caarloos95 1 year ago said:

I have the problem of purple efect and bad legibility while scrolling. But does it affect to every SGS4 in the world? Should I wait for the update or take it to be replaced or repared?

15. caarloos95 1 year ago said:

Is it safe to update manually by downloading the firmware from sammobile?

• caarloos95 1 year ago said:

Or would it be bettar to wait until the update arrives to my country, Spain?

• Gute 1 year ago said:

I’m from Chile, I have an unbranded I9505 and I just install the update without problem from sammobile with odin and almost all my apps survive the update (I lose root access)

• igatica 1 year ago said:

Hola Gute, también soy de Chile ¿al instalar esta versión alemana se te perdió el español de estados unidos?

• Gute 1 year ago said:

El Español de Estados Unidos se mantuvo, incluso despues de la instalación no fue necesaria ninguna configuración, ya estaba en español y sin eliminar aplicaciones, instalo unas 4 o 5 aplicaciones extra, pero que pueden desinstalarse sin problemas

• caarloos95 1 year ago said:

¿Y con la actualización has notado que, como dicen, el efecto púrpura y las letras borrosas han desaparecido?

• Gute 1 year ago said:

Se nota un poco mas de fluidez, aunque la verdad nunca le puse mucha atención al efecto púrpura, por lo que no podría asegurar que sea así, trae una nueva opción para aumentar la legibilidad del texto, pero no noto mayor diferencia, quizas comparando con otro equipo, pero no he tenido la oportunidad de hacerlo

16. vanbutton 1 year ago said:

Where’s the HDR video option? I can’t see it anywhere. Setting the “Mode” to HDR only affects still images, the video is definitely not HDR…..

17. onununo 1 year ago said:

“The new update addresses this issue by giving the user the functionality to move apps to SD card and increasing the available storage to 9.23GB. This should solve customers’ complain about low user accessible storage.”

So 9.23GB should be an “increase of available storage”, compared to the former 9.15… LOL!!!!
    The much awaited function for moving apps to the SD card is the real deal!!

18. OleA 1 year ago said:

What about the terrible UI lag problems, has that been addressed with this update? It seems to be on all units, and its terrible. Has Samsung even responded to this problem? I find it completely offensive that Samsung release their flagship model with so much lag !

19. inge__ 1 year ago said:

deze neem ik mee

20. zupi22 1 year ago said:

Does this update include the option for LTE in Mobile networks settings? For now it’s just GSM and GSM/WCDMA, no LTE option.

• vertcam9 1 year ago said:

what is your model, i guess it is the GT-I9500, right? LTE is not supported on that unit.

The option you are talking about is present in mine, but model GT-I9505

• zupi22 1 year ago said:

No I have GT-I9505 model with qualcomm snapdragon inside. There is only this version for our country. So I am intereisted if there is an LTE option present in this German version of software? Othervise I wont be flasing this.

• Vikram26 1 year ago said:

Zupi, you can change the setting by following below steps.
          Dail *#2263#
          it will give you list of networks
          Select the one you prefer, “LTE”.

And you are done….let me know if it helps.
          I am switching network using above code and its very easy and simple.
          Regards
          Vikram

21. AdL2012 1 year ago said:

When 4.2.2 for S3 comes out???

22. vbx 1 year ago said:

Still think android is better than windows phone? Android sucks. U know it, I know it, google knows it, apple knows it, m$ knows it. The whole world knows it. Samsung knows it. Yet they still refuse to release their flagship devices on windows.

23. Hairolive 1 year ago said:

Hey, update is available in China

Version: I9500ZCUAME5
    Build Date: 30.05.2013
    Changelist: 590153

There have ( Move Apps to SD Card ) ???

24. Kerom 1 year ago said:

Hey guys. Report about the batterie life after the update (9505).
    Yesterday 11:30 PM full charged (100%) before i go sleep.
    Sync disabled (always by me)
    Today after 10 messages by Whatsapp, read 3 email, about 10 min phone call. also a very quite day. 9:21 PM 21% batterie life.

• gokul2324 1 year ago said:

does phone reboots if u try to open camera app? and camera and gallery app take forever to open. so much slow than year old s3. please let me if this new update fixed these issues or not. thanks. also phone is jittery and laggy at times.

25. spotlight79 1 year ago said:

The smearing issue has not been fixed at all. They simply changed the color of the settings, phone and contacts app. Now it’s dark grey instead of black so there is no smearing. In the gallery, and other apps where the black is still black – the smearing IS still present just as it was. So actually, they didn’t fix it, they worked around it. Really “great” job, Samsung!

26. chicagoaan 1 year ago said:

Got the update in Chicago… Let you know how it goes…

• Rusty85 1 year ago said:

What is your service provider and what model number, you have? I have not received anything yet if u are in the usa.

27. ArminVB 1 year ago said:

hello guys do you remember when samsung released update for GS3 (JB 4.1.2) and unfortunately we forced to wait couple of months to receive the new firmware update in our country (specially for me in Iran) and…now, is it the same time???! shall we wait looooong time to receive the new firmware again? recently samsung has boycotted Iran ( I don’t know why!!!???) however, Can we get the new update for GS4? and how long should we wait? (please excuse me for my bad English)

• ashkan 1 year ago said:

Easy Easy maaan…take it easy….Just download new firmware (don’t care about CSC Region) and Odin your GS4…No need to wait even a minute…there is no problem with Persian language support in other regions.just download the Farsi language in Samsung Keyboard settings…

28. ArminVB 1 year ago said:

ممنونم اشکان جان:)…پس اگه شما مطمئن هستی که مشکلی پیش نمیاد من حتما اینکارو میکنم،ممنون از راهنماییتون:)

• ArminVB 1 year ago said:

به نظر شما از firmware چه کشوری استفاده کنم؟

• ashkan 1 year ago said:

نه مشکبی پیش نمیاد فقط csc code عوض میشه که دیگه قابلییت به روز رسانی از طریق kies و fota رو از دست میدی.مگر اینکه وقتی به روز رسانی برای ایران منتشر شد به روز رسانی ایران رو odin کنی…

• ashkan 1 year ago said:

فارسی ننویسین.انگلیسی بنویسین که هم این اجنبی ها استفاده کنن هم این گلابی ها نیان هیچی نفهمن یگن اینا چی میگن…

29. gokul2324 1 year ago said:

30. mreyes1234 1 year ago said:

Galaxy i9500 I have the most current firmware until it is the Chinese I9500ZCUAME5, but I worry that while other firmware weigh it weighs 380 MB and 1.5 GB for china when I think it might not work well in my country Peru please i need views
    excuse my bad English

31. DVJ-Mishka 1 year ago said:

I was hoping they’d include the ability to use Lockscreen widgets in secure mode too not only with swipe (no security) mode in this firmware update. I hope it’ll be addressed in the next update because it’s one of the coolest and most useful features in 4.2.x but in order to use it, sadly one has to keep the device without any kind of Lockscreen security.

32. pepitona 1 year ago said:

You have not thought about changing the host uploaded to Mega.co.nz or some other different hotfile? Hotfile is a crap with the speed download

33. blizzybad 1 year ago said:

I’m using XXUBMEA on my i9505 and it works very well, no lag, no smearing, i can move apps to SD but not the data from games from example. Dunno about the hdr video thing…i think they build it inside the camera feature but it can’t be selected….so i think it is a stock thing now to have hdr video. The photos taken seem a little bit clearer. I’m wondering when will the update come to the rest of Europe

34. Panchomr 1 year ago said:

Can someone tell me how to flash this firmware using odin? Just need to put the file in the PDA section and hit the start button?

• ArminVB 1 year ago said:

first please tell me which firmware should I download?!

• blizzybad 1 year ago said:

i downloaded the pre-rooted version of i9505XXUBMEA from xda and workes just fine, no lag, no reboots no problems. Then extract the zip and u end up with a .tar file, then u add that in PDA of ODIN, shut down your phone, put it in download mode( Volume down, Home button and power button), after it is in download mode just connect the usb cable, odin will accept your device, hit START and in 5 mins it’s all done.

• ArminVB 1 year ago said:

thank you,but I’m using GT-I9500,I want the latest official firmware for my GT-I9500:), Where can I find it?

• blizzybad 1 year ago said:

in the firmware section, but this version of 4.2.2 try getting it from xda i think there is a version for i9500 also.

35. ArminVB 1 year ago said:
  36. Hiei11 1 year ago said:

And the Galaxy Beam??? Update???

37. Charleiro 1 year ago said:

When will it be available for Canada ?

38. dollnit 1 year ago said:

Finally got the new firmware update in India… will leave feedback after installing

39. SweetBear76 1 year ago said:

Installed already the Indian firmware over my Octa here in Perú. Everything seems quicker, and the sd mover is active. I’ll see tomorrow how it behaves. Thanks Samsung.

40. dollnit 1 year ago said:

bad news is still the phone gets warm, i tried using camera for few minutes and it starts getting warm…. anyone else has this problem or else its just me?

41. ArminVB 1 year ago said:

Is it highly recommend to do factory reset or… before flashing new firmware?
    I don’t want to install my apps again:/, please help me:(

42. kevinlin12 1 year ago said:

still wait for galaxy ace plus 4.1.2 jelly bean><

43. fazdnoah 1 year ago said:

Question
    I just bought my S4 octa…should I root it first or just flash it to new firmware?
    How about my files and data? Will it still be there after odin flash?

44. latousakis 1 year ago said:

I9505XXUBMEA firmware removed completely the battery status option *#0228# and the ServiceMode is disabled completely. I cannot open it with *#0011#, and the classic *#197328640# was never active on this device…

And as Samsung is not updating their LTE whitelist to allow users of other LTE networks to join their network (ie Vodafone Greece that is not included and we already have 4G LTE), we depend on the Service Mode to activating the LTE modem…

45. tungtq7 1 year ago said:

Update rolled out for I9500 user in Vietnam, cheers!!!

• Seth Johan 1 year ago said:

Yeah, you’re right. I just updated my S4 via FOTA and so far loving it. I live in the Philippines but we don’t have the octa variant here so I got mine from Vietnam. I didn’t have any issues with my S4 before, but so glad that we can now move apps to SD with no add’l bloats. Thanks, Sammy! Thought I’d have to wait for months for the app2sd functionality.

46. shoev 1 year ago said:

Good day to everyone.
    What do you think guys if do this update on galaxy s3 (i9300)¿

47. Wellaflex 1 year ago said:

Come on guys with 4.2.2 on the old s2 :(

48. zupi22 1 year ago said:

Can someone please tell me if this software includes LTE option in Mobile networks settings?

49. ArminVB 1 year ago said:

yeah! It’s good … Thank You Guys :)

50. Jake621 1 year ago said:

Can i install any country firmware on my i9500, what will happen if i do……???????

51. kickafella 1 year ago said:

only move apps to sd..not apps data…whats the point?

52. migueordano 1 year ago said:

exelente actualizacion ahora el rendimiento de la bateria lo vamos a probar

53. john sap 1 year ago said:

hello!!!i just wanted to ask when the update will be available i Greece?

54. Neurom67 1 year ago said:

Hey Samsung my Note2 and my S3 wait for Android 4.2.2

55. niccooo 1 year ago said:

im from the philippines but i think my s4 is from hong kong can i update my firmware using the philippines firmware?

56. Sencillo00 1 year ago said:

MI GALAXY S4 SGH-I337M CON COMPAÑÍA TELCEL RECIBIÓ UNA ACTUALIZACIÓN CON SAMSUNG KIES, PERO AL VER LOS COMENTARIOS DE ESTA PAGINA NO HAY NINGUNO DE ESTOS CAMBIOS. CUANDO LLEGARA A MEXICO??????????????

57. john sap 1 year ago said:

when will the udpate come to Greece???i cant find anything

58. Charleiro 1 year ago said:

So I guess no hope for Canada ?

59. salahalaa 1 year ago said:

What about Samsung galaxy S2 ( I9100 )?
    We are waiting for it.

60. slickerthenmost 1 year ago said:

Just checked my phone and update available connected to kies and upgraded, on the Vodafone network.

Firmware details:
    Model: GT-I9505
    Country: United Kingdom
    Version: Android 4.2.2
    Build date: Thu, 30 May 2013
    Product Code: INS

Move to storage finally…moving as many apps as possible :0)

61. slickerthenmost 1 year ago said:

ops product code wrong …. copied and pasted . lazy typer…

62. Sencillo00 1 year ago said:

YO NO ENTIENDO PORQUE SAMSUNG SE OLVIDA DE SU MODELO GALAXY S4 I337M DE MÉXICO YA QUE GRACIAS A QUE A SACADO VARIOS SUBMODELOS, CUANDO NOS DARÁN LA NOTICIA DE CONTAR CON ESTA ACTUALIZACIÓN POR QUE ESTAS ACTUALIZACIONES QUE SALIO PARA ALEMANIA Y LA INDIA, NO SON COMPATIBLES CON MI MODELO ALGUIEN QUE ME PUEDA AYUDAR???????’

63. didofrgt10 1 year ago said:

Hey sam peps, question, your site says that the update is available for Egypt, but I checked many times, OFTA and Kies and they both say that I have the latest firmware, even though I have the April one (I9500XXUAMDK) not the June one (I9500XXUBMEA), hints?

64. marky_boy 1 year ago said:

Someone surely must have a data as to when the BTU version will receive the update, its ridiculous now.

65. singerskates 1 year ago said:

When is the update with the HDR Video and move apps to SD Card to Wind Mobile Canada Galaxy S4 owners.