Samsung explains why missing FM Radio on the Galaxy S4

Every Galaxy S has it, only the Galaxy S4 hasn’t we are talking about the FM Radio. Samsung decided not to bring the FM Radio application to the Galaxy S4. According to Samsung people listen more to online broadcast radio streams. (which costs data)
What do you think do you miss the feature of no FM Radio? Or do you listen as Samsung said, to own music and online streams?

Below the explanation by Samsung Russia.

Our studies show a trend shift of interest to digital broadcasting, specifically – focus on listening to music content in social networks or on the channel YouTube. The flagship model of our products are focused on customers who use digital content, which use modern formats and channels of information consumption. (translated from Russian).

Phones 72

1 year 4 months ago

I have to say F**k u samsung niggas for Even thinking that we didn’t need Radio n by Radio i mean FM Radio on These brick Phones of yours,….Bought this GT-i9305 S3 and i sold it if off and very cheaply btw just bcoz there was no FM Radio so f**k U Samsung niggaz, big tym,… time when your thinking of producing a f**kin huge brick phone for the market just remember to include An Fm radio Chip u sad worthless hommies,…………..Radio f**kers we need it remember its the same reason i didn’t buy iphones and thus samsung S4 shit too….Am out…………………

reza zarchi
1 year 4 months ago

it’s not acceptable for me…

2 years 3 days ago

I use the FM radio on my phones daily while at work. I excitedly bought a Galaxy S3 4G thinking it was my dream phone, then had to sell it for a loss when I discovered it didn’t have an FM radio. Bought an S3 3G instead.
If there’s no FM radio, I won’t be buying it. I even went to the trouble of buying a Sony Ericsson R306 which has FM & AM radios (the only model I know of with AM) so I could listen to cricket coverage in summer.
Podcasts are great for stories but nothing is as up-to-date as free to air, broadcast radio.
I want DAB/DAB+ in my next phone. Get onto it Samsung! Or HTC/Sony/Apple(yeah right)

2 years 4 months ago

#yesradio #GalaxyS4

2 years 4 months ago

let’s hope GT-I9506 with Snapdragon 800 has radio or even the new Exyone processor

2 years 4 months ago

I dont’ use FM as frequent but I still want it to be there. I still remember how I hate Nexus S for not having it when I need it. Im S3 now. Look forward S5

2 years 4 months ago

Galaxy S4 is perfect because it supports all capabilities and additional functionality such as the Infrared , led light and more ! But if the support of both the radio with record and dvb-h with record Then I would be willing to replace it with the my Galaxy S3.
Of course It was better supported than Java and supported of dual sim.

2 years 5 months ago

Poor decisions in my opinion. Phone is not cheap but Samsung is trying to get from customers some more bucks… I do not see any logic to spend my limited monthly data to listen online radio if alternative costs me nothing… And Samsung is trying to make the same mistake as apple? The people who buy a S4 is diferent who buy a Iphone and with this decisions probably loase clients for apple our HTC because they have radio FM in the One and a better finish. I wait a few months to by a new phone from Samsung if they promise put a radio FM in Galaxy S4.

2 years 5 months ago

Bring FM Radio back…

2 years 6 months ago

For the lucky ones out there who not only have and can afford high speed broad band fair enough, but I like really do like FM and will not buy the S4 sorry. Same as I want Dual sim so end up with a cheaper Chinese copy which has it all and keep dreaming that once Samsung will wake up. Ah! and give me the right to get rid of the crap software I do not want nor need.

2 years 7 months ago

Let me place my opinion (explanation) about this issue, and i hope that this point of view is not far from what really happens. Also, please forgive me, if there will be some mistakes with my English! Let’s start explaining!
Marketing is just maths and facts!

Well the facts are:
1) Samsung kept winning the market when first invented AMOLED displays and the successful Humingbird 1GHz processor in 2009. So that makes SAMSUNG the leading company in producing high featured LCDs.
2) Samsung succeeded with Humingbird, due to high (power efficiency)/(battery consumption). That keeps enhanced year by year till now (the great Exynos 5 Octa platform).
3) Samsung is a leading company in supplying modules to other companies (Apple, SONY, HTC, LG, Meizu.. etc).

NOW keeping in mind all these 3 facts assume that I’m samsung and you all that you are reading this, are the other companies that are being supplied by me. We are all sitting in a round table and discussing. You all know that i’m going to release a new EVEN better product that will help me an EVEN bigger part of the market! Also I AM a supplier for you. So let’s say that Meizu tells me that “I want to produce 2 mobile phones that will sport your Exynos Quad core and Exynos Dual core”. Then i answer to Meizu “Ok Meizu ..that will cost you 8$ per SoC (system on a chip – Exynos) PLUS the brand Exynos team that will help you catch a tiny part of the Market that i’m leading with this technology”. Also i believe that Samsung has an robust politic which says THAT “NO OTHER COMPANY CAN BE SUPPLIED WITH MORE THAN TWO TECHNOLOGIES THAT I USE ON MY SUCCESSFUL PRODUCTS” for example you have never seen any company featuring Exynos and Super AMOLED screen ;) . Okkk… Now All of you know,as i said, that i’m realeasing SGS 4. This will make me sell even more than i sold with its predecessors (SGS, SGS I, II & III).. but this means that YOU,all the other brands i supply, will sell EVEN less. That means loss of money for me AS A SUPPPLIER to you ;). I want you to do well in the Market in order to buy chips and modules from me for your products.

Apart from all of you..there are the service providers that called me for a council in order to discuss some issues. When i met them (Vodafone, AT&T, Verizon, etc) they made me A TREMENDIOUS offer. Hear this..they told me “Hey sammy.. as you know the media are great products for earning money.. the stats shows that we must make an investement on this so when releashing the most eagerly awaited SGS 4 we hope that you make something so that we can have great profits…and you will be paid GOOOD from this”. And i told them.. “Yes… well you know…i think that i could forget to put the radio module (as my friend Apple does successively so many years)… Also this helps the other brands to sell their phones because a small part of my FAITHFULL customers WILL not buy SGS 4 this year,,,”

If this all happen, i will be very stupid to buy SGS 4! Because as you know SAMSUNG will add FM radio, again, on its SGS 4 mini that is coming out on July and i believe on the next SGS 5. Stop being fooled by the leaders of the Market! ;)

2 years 7 months ago

It’s too bad that Samsung decided to excluded the FM Radio in Samsung S4, I don’t think I would upgrade my samsung galaxy note II to S4 for that reason.. No matter what, the FM Radio really useful in certain conditions.

2 years 7 months ago

In Brazil we use FM radio since we don’t have Pandora. We also use when watching a football game. Fm narrations are awesome and give more excitement. So it is a cultural thing.
I have a Galaxy S3 with FM radio and Sony MW600 bluetooth headphones with FM radio included.
It’s nice to be able to record the audio from radios.
Poor decison from Samsung.

2 years 7 months ago

I think FM radio still important these days and that’s why I change my x10 to galaxy ace 2 because of its radio feature. not all fm radio has their own streaming and i don’t want to sacrifice my internet quota just for radio. after all, my internet connection in Indonesia is not as good as europe or US, not quite stable

So it is very unfortunate for flagship handset does not include fm radio for its feature

2 years 7 months ago

It is very sad news that FM is not there in S4.
now I won’t buy s4 instead of that I plan to buy HTC One.

2 years 7 months ago

This is a petty level decision on a premium device with so many useless bloatware removing a usefull feature is a fault.

I just bought a Galaxy note II 4G and I must say I am disappointed coming from my Galaxy SII that the GN2 4G has no radio, and I would say radio connexion is not as good on the GN II 4G as on the Galaxy SII.

so far I am disappointed, I will have to carry both phones, even on holiday when I wanted to dedite my SII to professionnal call and thus forget it during holidays, I won’t be able to do that because of that !

remember at the time of the SII launch, HTC lost to SII because of petty decisions like low capacty of batteries, petty decision lead to decline as it has been poven for HTC, supressing radio is a petty decision from Samsung.

It is sad that FM is removed. Basics are getting removed :(

Won’t buy S4 now.

Time to switch to “Sony Xperia Z” now.

2 years 7 months ago

If Sony releases the Xperia Z mini, I’d be on it. I have no use for a 5″+ display.

2 years 7 months ago

just turn in and listen just for free, common you cant´forget the little things than make you great….. now the sIII(international version, with radio) sounds a little better than before…

2 years 7 months ago

After this S*, I have to have a second thought! No FM causes more data causes more money. and don’t forget when you are travelling abroad cause the data is not cheap in roaming!. F* your studies. I hope this is a removal of the FM radio app not the whole FM feature

#samsung #galaxy #galaxys4

2 years 7 months ago

Supposedly the chip is removed…

2 years 7 months ago

dino: you are not even an ignorant, but an idiot. Read above why your comment is useless.

2 years 7 months ago

The Samsung is right…..there is no need for FM raadio on S4…
If you like to listen radio you can just download application like
TuneIn radio and listen Radio…….

2 years 7 months ago

Yeah, because using the data will save more power than using a regular radio. And plus, you get to see free ads that spy on your phone and data usage.

2 years 7 months ago

For the sake of weight and power things have to be dropped… do you miss the svideo cable support when you’re using blueray? What about that desk eating 24″ CRT?

Some technologies aren’t used as much and can be cut. It saves on testing, development, manufacturing, support. If it’s a really useful feature keep it, if it can be replaced with something more flexible replace it.

2 years 7 months ago

Well, dear laic and ignorant, do you think it would weigh too much? Like, 1 g? Maybe 2? Damn!
LTE SoC also did weigh too much on the international versions of Exynos, however in Korea it could be included? Shit!

Now seriously.
Somehow I think FM radio didn’t need too much testing :>
Not speaking of dev-ing. Some support sure would be needed – but c’mon, users know how to use the radio. The costs would be minimal, as manufacturing – such beast shouldn’t cut on anything really.

Think before you say something. REALLY.

And oh, that desk eating 24″ CRT was better in really almost all specifications than most of the LCD (and such) monitors made today, save for weight and dimensions. Some companies (like Philips) still produce it for professionals nowadays.

I just hate this kind of thinking, back-throttling really. Also reminds of people that get sacked and told that no one is irreplacable ;)

2 years 7 months ago

I’ll be honest I didn’t even realise my Galaxy SIII and never used it on my old S1, so it’s not really a feature I care much for, I’m more bummed about the fact we aren’t getting the Octa CPU in the UK.

2 years 7 months ago

GT-I9500 / GT-I9505 – United Kingdom – source: SamMobile.

Don’t be an ignorant with the features you don’t need…

2 years 7 months ago

Thats a shame. Where i’m from data costs too much to listen to stuff online.

2 years 7 months ago

Can’t you download to a PC and copy the files over? That’s what i do when I need to fly somewhere.

2 years 7 months ago

Well, that proves that Eldar Murtazin in Mobile-Review test was right – no radio in BOTH international version (as Russia only gets 9500 according to SamMobile, and GSMArena already tested and proved there is no radio in 9505).

Stupid explanation, if you ask me.

Unless the chip itself was taking a lot of space – it doesn’t make sense.
But same goes for LTE, huh? It SHOULDN’T use much space. Somehow Korean version COULD get the LTE SoC, interesting, right? I think the same goes for FM Radio.

Why it’s a bad decision?
1) Battery. Battery usage is much more extensive (not only data, but the phone cannot go into sleep mode ; the FM Radio uses about as much power as music listening (or even less) )
2) Network coverage. One HAS to be in at least 3G (stable, well-covered and non-overflowed by users’ phonecalls at the time!) to use streaming radio.
3) Availability. Not all of the FM radio stations have their streaming versions.
4) Costs. Even if one has a data packet, it is still used when it wouldn’t be needed. And if one doesn’t have it, one pays for data all the time.
5) Roaming. Look above… and multiply by lots, as often roaming data costs are outstandingly high.
6) Stability. Last but not least, FM Radio works more reliably.

So, why use FM Radio in the times of Internet news?
For example:
1) News – especially when you’re driving, you get information on the go. In some stations, you get well-detailed RDS info (or the radio simply tunes in to other topic) about road problems, accidents, weather, and so on – in general, it’s about your health, safeness and time.
2) Sports – good coverage of bigger sports events, LIVE.

Yeah, you could also get that on Internet radio.. but get back to the points 1-6 above and that can make you change your mind.

To put it shortly – Samsung makes an all-around device… and then puts old plastic design around it + worse looking materials as in case of S3 (the metal ones ; for example, blue), average ear-piece speaker – resulting in average call quality, no LTE in 9500 version (99% sure) – but not in Korea, no FM radio in ALL of the versions (even Korean ones, but that’s explainable there), lower speed of the CPU comparing to Korea (as always)…

Samsung HAS to make better ear-piece speaker, because call quality is VERY IMPORTANT, and HAS TO (after the downfall of S3 in crash-tests) build their devices more crash-proof (even if it’s that damn plastic).
FM Radio, clocking of CPU are, all-in-all, less important, but still… It’s a step back.

2 years 7 months ago

Arrest my case. Couldn’t have said it better myself.