Posted by Dom A 1 year ago

Galaxy S IV Build Quality? Build Quality Matters

s4post

One of the most frequent complaints we hear about Samsung devices is that the build quality just isn’t up to scratch, even if they are pretty scratch resistant. Recent information has come to light about the Galaxy SIV build quality and materials which suggest we might see something not-entirely plastic come out of Samsung’s production line in the middle of next month, but do the materials used in our phones matter? Should we be overly bothered about design? It’s obvious that since the Galaxy SIII, it’s something which Samsung is taking extremely seriously

Part of me thinks that design and materials are irrelevant: as long as there is a good quality screen and amazing hardware powering the software you see, then who really cares about design? At the end of the day, you should be paying for what a device is able to do, and how well it does it, not what it looks like. In my opinion, this is wholly the reason why Samsung Mobile has become so successful today. Since the Galaxy S and Galaxy SII, they have consistently provided the most cutting edge hardware with a well-rounded and customisable software. It certainly hasn’t been design which has won Samsung rave reviews for it’s mobile phones.

samsung-galaxy-s-iii

Though, that’s not why a lot of people buy phones, or at least, there are more things which people consider when making a purchase. Apple set a precedent for beautiful design and materials in smart phones since day one, and type of phone we own seems to be of increasing social importance. People are using phones more and more often to connect with the world around them, but also as a way to display their own status. Much like having the latest fancy car might tell you something about your next door neighbour, the type phone you own seems to be saying more and more about the type of person you are. So yes, design probably does matter as it allows different people to associate with different brands and phone designs. Whether it should matter is another question, which I suppose only you can answer.

The launch of the SIII saw Samsung attempt something more organic and ‘natural’ with their design, perhaps to make it appealing to a broader audience. The initial reception of which was negative, but subsequent sales figures proved critics wrong (or at least proved that Samsung has an excellent marketing department). However, even with this new design, we saw many people disappointed because of “shoddy build quality” … basically; people don’t like to pay out upwards of £$€500 for something branded up as “hyper skin” or “hyper glaze” even if the device was pretty durable.

There are arguments for and against the use of plastic in a smartphone. On one hand, plastic is much easier to manufacture and cheaper to replace if broken, which should keep the overall costs down (…or at least the profit margin up). It also allows for a lighter device and better signal quality, the latter of which is very important. Personally I don’t mind a plastic device, because if I’m spending that much money on something, the first thing I’m going to do is cover it up with a sturdy case to prevent any damage… so I’ll never see or feel any of that lovely brushed aluminium which a lot of people seem to go on about.

rotating_galaxy_s3_i900_case_colours

Those are all great reasons, but at the end of the day, if you are investing £$€500+ (a LOT of money!) for a device, you don’t want it to feel cheap, it should be made of out premium materials … after all, you are paying a premium price for it, right? You want to have a premium feel for a premium device for the premium price you are paying… not what many people refer to as a ‘plastic toy’.

s4

So, what we can expect from the Galaxy SIV build quality and Galaxy SIV design? Better. It simply has to be better build quality than its predecessors! SamMobile has recently gleaned exclusive information that the device will be 140.1 x 71.8 x 7.7mm with a weight of 138 grams. From leaked pictures, it seems that the “inspired by nature” design line has been dropped, returning to a more oblong or hybrid design as we saw with the Galaxy Note II. We have also been told that there will be aluminium around the edge of the device, but still plastic on the back (presumably for signal quality and easy-to-remove battery/SIM/Micro-SD cover.

What do you expect to see from the Galaxy S IV and the future of Samsung’s flagship devices? What would your ideal design be?

15 comments on “Galaxy S IV Build Quality? Build Quality Matters

1. Sp1tfire 1 year ago said:

I had enough plastic, I want aluminium. So if Samsung wraps S IV in plastic, then HTC will get my money this year. As much as I like Samsung, I feel I should get more than a squeaky plastic when I pay 700 euros.

• ithehappy 1 year ago said:

Well dude world is full of retarded people nowadays, that’s why I had to login and agree to your comment.
      It’s really time for Samsung to move to some non-garbage material, unlike plastic. Otherwise Note 2 is last Samsung undoubtedly, and I’m not threatening them, just saying what I’ll do.
      Regards.

• easymomo 1 year ago said:

Did @ithehappy just said some people are retarded just because they don’t think exactly the same way he does ???
        And he just logged in to say that!

• rendaderr 1 year ago said:

After the whole faulty hardware problem in the S3 and the way Samsung refused to fix (in warranty) my phone WITH the faulty hardware just because I had had the phone rooted I’m afraid I really don’t care what the S4 is made of. As it is, I’m not due to change my phone till next year anyway (I upgraded a year early last year to get the S3 but I won’t be doing that this year to get the S4). My current thinking is that I will probably get a Nexus phone when I next upgrade (and hope that it’s not a Samsung made phone!)

• pileot 1 year ago said:

Jokes on you, the latest nexus phone is Asus which has horrible QA on their devices (check out the transformer line tablets). I would never buy an Asus device again if i wasnt sure my local shop could warrenty it for me.

I agree with you tho, Samsung has to seriously step up their game, they used to be one of the best, now im not so sure…

• syedzeeshan021 1 year ago said:

when we talk about the plastic material which have some elasticity when side drop it jumps which means plastic absorb some drop force and for this reason the board and screen could survive

my brother through his samsung touch + qwerty slider phone from bridge to concrete parking no screen damage and body occur when he check his mobile.
      This means when we develop the technology in which the plastic body could fully bounced on drop like the tennis ball then there is a success of mobile technology

2. blackpepper74 1 year ago said:

I was just thinking the same thing as @Sp1tfire.

3. easymomo 1 year ago said:

I don’t care about plastic used on the back of my phone. I ALWAYS use protection case so I don’t even see the back.
    I think build quality is very important as well as hardware and software.
    I had the BlackBerry Curve 9360 and I was extremely surprised to see that the back was made of plastic so I looked at the back of some other Blackberry model and found plastic. NOBODY is complainig about plastic on the back of Blackberry, that’s crazy, I never ever heard anybody complaining about that.
    I am not criticising anybody cause everybody is free to think the way he wants but it does not bother me to have plastic on the back.
    I had the Note I, now I have the Note II, I won’t buy the SIV because I’m waiting for the Note III. I Hope it will have the Exynos Octa, AMOLED and awesome software.

4. ChrisJ 1 year ago said:

I personally don’t mind the plastic but the material it is built of doesn’t automatically transfer into good or bad build quality. In the end, the quality and design of a phone make you want to take it and use it. I’ve been testing the Nexus 4 for a while and while the screen was not even worth comparing to the SIII’s the quality it is made of (even though out of plastic and glass too) is way superior. I absolutely hate the back cover creaking when pushing the home button on my SGS3 for instance.

But phone design also matters software-wise. Just look at the notification bar. This is – for me – the epitome of halfhearted design work. The toggles are in Samsung’s green (like the battery icon and so on), the bar for adjusting screen brightness is in Android vanilla colours (blue) and the checkbox for switching to Auto adjustment is in green again. This is a mixtures of design philosophies and not very continuous.

5. jgjd691995 1 year ago said:

there’s something wrong here, if u have aluminium there is no over heating problem. and is the display calibrated?? because lcd has deeper blacks which could lead to hope for amoled. but i dont see of this happening because of it being so light

6. kerrmuir 1 year ago said:

Water and dust resistant would be a major selling point.

7. Marcos Prata 1 year ago said:

Samsung Galaxy S4 = Snapdragon 600
    ZTE Grand Memo = Snapdragon 800

Please Samsung, more respect! It’s a flagship device!!!

Learn from HTC, Aluminium, not plastic.

You have to use premium materials and the best hardware.

8. jonathantarabbia 1 year ago said:

Hello,

I think the arguments for plastic are no longer valid today. Apple or HTC proves it with their iPhone and HTC One. Weight can be quite correct (users do not feel differences between 138g and 150g …). Then Apple and HTC proves that having a beautiful aluminum design with good signal reception system is totally possible.

Since the Galaxy S3, I do not buy Samsung. I went to HTC. I would have at samsung when he fired the plastic! For why the wave are entitled to a better finish?

9. killer_power 1 year ago said:

new beginning for samsung smartphones

10. kramrajesh 1 year ago said:

I feel that build with Plastic will be of greater advantage. My daughter might have thrown down my phone at least 20 times and I might have dropped at least 10 times due to mishandling. I didn’t see any crack on the body of phone & can’t feel any problem in display.

Samsung please continue with Plastic. I like it.