As a result of Samsung staying ahead of the firmware update game, a handful of Galaxy smartphones are already running the August 2022 security patch and have been doing so since late July. For security reasons, Samsung kept the changelog under wraps for a while, but the company is now ready to reveal more details.
Samsung has just published the August 2022 security patch bulletin. As usual, the new security update addresses more than a dozen vulnerabilities found in Google's Android OS. But the August patch also addresses 31 vulnerabilities and exposures affecting Samsung apps and software.
The list of vulnerabilities that Samsung fixed through the August 2022 security patch includes but isn't limited to:
- Leak of MAC address of connected Bluetooth device
- Leak of MAC address of connected Bluetooth device in NFC
- PendingIntent hijacking vulnerability in Knox VPN
- Manipulate the list of apps that can use mobile data in Wi-Fi service
- Improper access control vulnerability in DesktopSystemUI
- Possible to scan and connect to PC in Samsung Dex for PC
- PendingIntent hijacking vulnerability in DeX for PC
- Heap-based buffer overflow in Samsung Dex for PC
The new update contains quite a few security fixes related to DeX, so if you are using Samsung's desktop environment, make sure to download the new patch on your device as soon as it's available.