Here is what we think about the Galaxy S9 design in the leaked renders

Home / News / Here is what we think about the Galaxy S9 design in the leaked renders

Earlier today, alleged press renders of the upcoming Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ leaked online. We already knew from various leaks and rumors that the Galaxy S9 duo will be very similar to their predecessors in terms of appearance. It was believed that any major design changes to the Galaxy S9 pair will be only on the back side of the devices with a new dual camera setup (reportedly for the Galaxy S9+ only) and a more sensible fingerprint reader placement.

Well, going by the renders leaked today, that may not be entirely true. It appears that Samsung is slightly tweaking the design on the front as well, and we are not sure everyone will like the design. Ever since the renders leaked, our team at SamMobile has been vigorously debating about the design. So far, the opinions have been diverse. Here is what some of our team members think –

Danny Dorresteijn

I believe the Galaxy S9 pair will be a minor visual upgrade to the current Galaxy S8 line-up. My feelings towards the upcoming devices are reminiscent of what I felt during the Galaxy S7 Edge launch. The Galaxy S6 Edge had a stellar design, which made the refined Galaxy S7 edge not so exciting. It feels like a repeat of the same with the Galaxy S9.

Martin Reinders

I personally like the design of the Galaxy S9. From the renders, it looks like the side bezels are thicker while the bottom bezel is smaller compared to the Galaxy S8. The top bezel mostly remains the same. In my opinion, all of this gives the Galaxy S9 pair a more symmetrical design compared to the current Galaxy S8 line-up.

Naresh Nekkanti

If the renders are true, then I personally think it’s a step backward in design for the flagship Galaxy line-up. The side bezels are almost non-existent in the current Galaxy S8 series. This gives the user an illusion of a completely bezel-less display. I was hoping Samsung will just make the top and the bottom bezels slimmer in the Galaxy S9 series, but it seems they have other plans.

Abhijeet Mishra

I’m not sure what I think of the S9 seen in these renders. For some reason, the phone looks more rugged, but that could just be the lighter shade of black around the screen. The side bezels look like a step backward, but as someone who never uses the Edge screen features, I wouldn’t have an issue with that. Again, the render makes me think this is more on the lines of a Galaxy S9 Active, and I find it a little hard to believe Samsung is indeed going with this design for its next major flagship.

Let us know what you think about the Galaxy S9 design in the comments section.

Phones 27

Lucidfer
3 months 26 days ago
Lucidfer
It’s straight-up crazy. They only add to thin the lower bezel which would have set-it as a perfect competitor of the iPhone X, the evolution of the S8, and even give them an excuse to remove headphone jack (especially if bundle with bluetooth AKG earbuds). Instead, it’s the same bezels top/bottom (yeah slightly thinner, but WGAF), but also wider on the edges which is indeed a step backwards but also actually makes it incredibly uglier, and ruins the point and effect of an “infinity display”. This also means it’s going to remain the same Gorilla 5 glass (because the only… Read more »
gtone339
3 months 26 days ago
gtone339

Keep the flat-edge infinity design for the A & J series, not for the S series!

Sleepypandauk
3 months 28 days ago
Sleepypandauk

I hope the bezels haven’t been increased. The S8 is utter perfection to me. The S8 model has always had the pill shape whilce the note had the boxier shape. They should stay with that

Biransahin
3 months 28 days ago
Biransahin

Good news, they haven’t been, Evan Blass has said that this is NOT a true representation of the S9. This whole thing was a waste of time. It looked pretty obvious to me it was fake, I’m surprised that of all people Sammobile staff fell for it.

gtone339
3 months 26 days ago
gtone339

S series = curved/rounded shape
Note series = rectangular shape

tim54
3 months 28 days ago
tim54

I think I’ll wait for the S9 active this year…

ace123456
ace123456

The real problem on new – old galaxy s9 is not the camera , the real problme is the battery that is not bigger than s8 , same capacity and the bowlshit with the power of the new processor it is a bad joke…in real using it is same time like s8 , so why buy a new expensive phone , for a new camera that is not better on the market or a the new procesor that are not so god like predecessor ??? samsung is cheating on this new release

Sleepypandauk
3 months 28 days ago
Sleepypandauk

Just wait for the S10, I don’t rally get yearly upgrades when a phones are future proof and will still usable after 2 years. The S9 seems more aimed for people coming from the S7.

Biransahin
Biransahin

So, Evan Blass has confirmed that this is an unfinished render, that the side bezels will be just as thin as S8 and Note8, that the top bezel will not be thicker as shown here, and that the bottom bezel will be slightly thinner than the S8. So, this whole conversation is based on incorrect information and was a total waste of time.

Viorel Ianasi

I like the Note 8 squared design, less edgy and less-rounded corners. I’ even considering upgrading from my current S7 (non-Ede, didn’t like like the Edge design, but trying to adapt). If the S9 will adopt the Note 8 design, on front… it will be great!

Biransahin
Biransahin
I really like it though I’ll be sticking with my Note8. It seems to have the more square look of the Note8, but not as square. It’s a beautiful design anyway (but more on that below!) but what is important is what is under the hood. Someone said the S7 Edge was just an iteration of S6. Nothing could be further from the truth. Apart from the curve, they are chalk and cheese. You cannot expect a huge design change every year. It’s an evolution. With the new AI enabled chip and better camera nobody can say that they’re the… Read more »
pigieffo
pigieffo

The fingerprint scanner in the back of the device is the worst choice I don’t know why Samsung made this decision and why you Sammobile guys didn’t criticize it. Horrible. So homesick of the S7 and its stunning scanner……….

Abhijeet
Abhijeet

I agree, but I don’t usually keep my phone locked so I’ve been able to easily ignore the rear fingerprint sensor on the S8/Note 8. But I’m not a fan of the front-facing Samsung scanners, either, because those aren’t the most accurate around. I did use it on the S7 because it was a faster way to unlock by long pressing the button, but HTC, Apple and other companies have much better front-facing fingerprint sensors. Thankfully, the A8 implementation of the sensor laying horizontal below the camera is great for accuracy.

Biransahin
Biransahin

Of course the front facing fingerprint sensor will be completely gone from iPhone in 2018. I find the iris scanner on the Note8 to be super fast, I just start looking down and it unlocks, hardly ever use the fingerprint scanner which is just as well given its not great placement. But of course there is Face Unlock, Bixby secure Voice unlock and pin.. and pattern. Count them, 6 methods, and people still find something to bitch about..

Khlad
Khlad
Agree, fingerscanner should be on the front not back. When you have your phone on a table you can’t unlock it. Also iris scanner and face regognition have it,s flaws for example when your phone is on the table you have to lean your head over the phone or pick up the phone, this is annoying when you work in front of your desktop pc. Fingerscanner on the front doesn’t have these flaws and you always have your finger on the front, its the most convenient place to place a fingerscanner, only flaw is that the scanner needs big space… Read more »
Khlad
Khlad

Something is wrong with this post, i commented and after 1 sec it was voted 0

Khlad
Khlad

ProdByEchelon
ProdByEchelon

OnLeaks just posted on way this leak looks like this. Its a perspective shot. Its meant to show everything. Like its almost flattened out. The press images will have slimmer bezels, the blacks will be blacks and you’ll see the curved screen better. Looking at the CAD, the screen curve is more dramatic like on the S7 edge. Go check OnLeaks latest tweet.

Samarasx
Samarasx

I think those aren’t official renders and are poorly made. The artist messed up the edges by adding black shadows (not using global lighting either) instead of white glare which completely ruined the depth perception of the edges. Now everyone is debating whether the S9 display is flatter or the same as S8. This looks like a shrunk Note8 with poor lighting and childish glowing fonts and widgets. Samsungs art team knows better.

Biransahin
Biransahin

I was thinking the same thing. Some people just believe everything they see. Reviewers should be a little more circumspect and not believe every pic on the web. The cad drawings for example look different to these pics. It looks like a manipulated Note8.

Samarasx
Samarasx

Precisely.

strazzi
strazzi

Agree with Naresh Nekkanti.

laucha1905
laucha1905

Evan Blass already explained the side bezels. Aparently it would be the same like Galaxy S8