Home / News / [Updated] Galaxy Note 8 gets new update with no changelog, January security patch

The Galaxy Note 8 got updated with the January 2018 security patch not too long ago, and Samsung is now rolling out a new software update for its newest flagship. Oddly, the security patch is still on January, and there’s nothing in the changelog other than “improved security.” It’s possible the company has thrown in a few additional security fixes or has fixed some bugs that may have cropped up with the last update. The update is rolling out in Brazil and France at the moment, so it certainly doesn’t look limited to a particular market.

Galaxy Note 8 gets new update

If there are new security fixes in there, they could be related to the Meltdown and Spectre processor exploits that have rocked the tech world. These exploits are more dangerous on actual PCs but do affect smartphones as well, so maybe that is what the new Note 8 update targets. There’s no way to tell right now, but if you have a Note 8 and are in the aforementioned countries, you can check if the update is available in the Software update section of the settings. The firmware version on the new build is N950FXXU3BRA8.

Update: This update could indeed include the Meltdown and Spectre patches, as Verizon recently sent out an update to the Note 8 with those patches. Again, no proper changelog means nothing can be confirmed, but an update’s an update, so go see if it’s available for your Note 8!

Firmware news 20

3 months 10 days ago
Ehsanullah Raihan

I received 715 mb N950FXXU3BRA8 update to my note 8 in Afghanistan with January 2018 security patch and devices stability and improvements I hope this would bring new and useful features to my note 8

gsdworld21
3 months 15 days ago
gsdworld21

This update has destroyed my battery life. I’ve now had to turn screen resolution to HD+ to try and get a decent time.

3 months 10 days ago
Ehsanullah Raihan

What do you mean.
Should be update or Don’t.

ChodaBoy
3 months 20 days ago
ChodaBoy

My USA unlocked Note8 just received N950U1UEU3BRA5.

DoctorKDS
3 months 21 days ago
DoctorKDS

The USA unlocked Note 8 just received the January update on Sunday. It had a release date of 2 February and I installed it late 4 February evening.

3 months 21 days ago
Ķøžhąýa BM

Still with december security patch here in lebanon? whyy!?

msjames09
3 months 22 days ago
msjames09

I got an update for my note 8 but not the February one

gsdworld21
3 months 23 days ago
gsdworld21

My update had downloaded in the night. Now on January 2018 running O2U. I think what they’ve done with the bootloader so you can’t flash unlocked genuine samsung firmware is rubbish. It’s a good job we don’t own the phones or we’d be fuming. Ah, wait a minute……

OnnoJ
3 months 23 days ago
OnnoJ

Received update in USA to unbranded N950U1 today. Same story, no changelog, reporting it is a security update…

nkolsen
3 months 24 days ago
nkolsen

Still nothing in the Nordics. Only got 2 updates since September…..this will be my last Samsung phone….Spitting in the faces of those who pay the most for their handsets……

Kathan Gandhi
3 months 24 days ago
Kathan Gandhi

My A8+ India got new update yesterday about 114.77 MB. In which nothing has changed. Just showed Improved security. Security patch is still Jan 18. Pls note I got my phone just 4 days ago.
And this is my second software update. The first update I got on very first day on my A8+ while setting up the phone.

stondec
3 months 24 days ago
stondec

I have this horrible bug ? that intermittently mutes my voice during calls so that the other person cannot hear me, and this issue only temporarily resolves with restating the phone. I really hope they release an update that fixes this.

seanroberts1
3 months 24 days ago
seanroberts1

Downloading now, quite big at 562mb without an update of the security patch to feb in my opinion. Or is it a update before they release Oreo ? Probably not

Szakall1
3 months 24 days ago
Szakall1

I updated N8 last week in Poland

Ruwin Daniel
3 months 24 days ago
Ruwin Daniel

I updated mine yesterday in India

TurkishStyle
3 months 24 days ago
TurkishStyle

Meltdown and spectre are patched with the 2nd january patch. The 1st january patch does not include it

n900mixalot
3 months 24 days ago
n900mixalot

Exactly. The Verizon update that just went out said exactly that in the changelog.

locarno
3 months 24 days ago
locarno

You’re wrong
Read this:

Quote:
“”
Note: In response to the disclosure of Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities (CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5715, and CVE-2017-5754), Samsung is adding patch for CVE-2017-13218, which is provided by Google and effectively mitigates all three related CVE’s. Samsung security index (SSI) of SMR Jan-2018 Release MS includes patch for CVE-2017-13218, in addition to all patches in SMR Jan-2018 Release 1.
“”