Gear S3 Tizen 3.0 update makes a major UX change that you may not like

Home / News / Gear S3 Tizen 3.0 update makes a major UX change that you may not like

If you have received the Value Pack update on your Gear S3, you might have noticed a drastic change in how you operate the watch. Well, operating the watch remains pretty much the same as before, but Samsung has made one change that may put you off, at least in the initial few days: You can no longer swipe down from the top of the display to go back inside apps and menus.

On Tizen 3.0, swiping down from any screen opens the toggles screen, which means you now have to use the back key any time you need to go back. It’s how the Gear Sport works out of the box, but if you have been using the Gear S3 for a few months (or are upgrading to the Gear Sport from a Gear S2 or Gear S3), you will probably find it to be an inconvenience.

Some of us here at SamMobile certainly feel so. After getting used to swiping down on the screen to go back in apps and menus, it’s going to take a while to get used to reaching for the back key. Of course, it’s not like it was a fully natural experience to use Samsung’s circular smartwatches to begin with. Regular operation requires quite a bit of movement between the bezel ring, touch screen, and the power button. For example, you press the power button to access the app drawer, rotate the bezel to reach the app you wish to open, then tap on that app’s icon to fire it up.

Now, with the back function dedicated solely to the back key, it’s yet another action for which you need to adjust your hand/finger during regular usage. Yes, this will probably come off as nitpicking to some of our readers, but we have to say it’s certainly a change that is frustrating us. Sadly, Samsung isn’t offering an option to select between using the existing gesture and the back key, either, so it looks like a permanent change that we will have to live with.

What do you think? Are you okay with the gesture’s removal in the new update, or is it something you are finding difficult to adjust to? Let us know your thoughts by getting a discussion going in the comments!

Watches 19

1 month 8 days ago
Felipe Marinho

Worst thing that could have happened with this watch. Loved the swipe down to go back and am really worried about having to click so many times during the day the back button. Arrived here trying to find a way to change it back…
This is how Samsung convinces you on buying a new phone. Instead of new models and functions, they just help you break the one you already have.

rsluser
1 month 25 days ago
rsluser

I would trade ALL of the new features (which I like) just to get the swipe down to go back feature! I have no idea how removing that got past usability testing. Samsung, please give us the swipe down feature back!

Hemant Karkhanis
1 month 29 days ago
Hemant Karkhanis

Wrong update. Touch screen swipe is just a gesture. While pressing back key again and again will reduce life of watch as it will cause mechanical wear and tear. I had Gear S1. I never used its mechanical key for navigations.

2 months 22 days ago
Ty G

This is the dumbest ‘feature’ I could possibly imagine. This takes a device that was a strong 8-9 in usability and drops it to a 2. Samsung, WTF!! How could you be so idiotic as to deliberately break this feature? You could already access the toggles with a second downswipe, WTF!! You need to fix this ASAP. If you’re unable to fix this I seriously want my money back and you can break whatever TF you want. This device is effectively ruined by this update.

DHTML7
2 months 29 days ago
DHTML7

Would like to know how to roll back as battery life is shocking after update.

westfind
2 months 25 days ago
westfind

I found out that if you force stop or update the Samsung Health apps, the condition will improve a lot.

westfind
2 months 29 days ago
westfind

My SM-R760. After updated to Tizen 3.0.0.1, the software drain the battery at alarmed rate.
And, battery stop charging at 94% due to need to cool down.

2 months 30 days ago
Praditio Aditya Nugraha

Bad battery life after updating. I hope Samsung can fix this ASAP!

westfind
2 months 29 days ago
westfind

Mine stop charging at 94% due to need cool down.

2 months 30 days ago
Will e Dany Jp

Update Gear S3 SM-R760 ??????????

For the model of Brazil did not arrive :/

TIZEN 3.0 ???

westfind
2 months 29 days ago
westfind

I suggest you not to upgrade. Mess up mine S3 Frontier.

DHTML7
2 months 30 days ago
DHTML7

When will sammobile put up firmware rom for gear s3 watches. Would like to know how you are supposed to if possible roll back to earlier version. Surprised no one has asked before as I dont see any comments about this.

o0MHJ0o
2 months 30 days ago
o0MHJ0o

The idea of quick toggles, is that it is meant to be quick, this is one of the things that I really like from the new UX! It was such a pain trying to find out how much battery was left when I am exercising or just checked my heart rate – for it to pull me out of what I was doing, and the swipe again to access the toggles etc.
I much prefer this new one.

sharadbajla
3 months 4 hours ago
sharadbajla

Absolutely horrible. Pressing the back button hundreds of times per day is unbearable. Not to mention that you risk requiring to replace your motherboard eventually when the button gets screwed. (Its happened with two samsung devices for me)

These small things are why I have rooted and used custom ROMs on my phone since 6 years. Looks like the GearS3 is going down a similar route.

PlumUkr
3 months 9 hours ago
PlumUkr

I like it. At least now I can access toggles from any screen or app. That’s great.

3 months 10 hours ago
CapFan007

Noticed it instantly, it was faster with the gesture. Not sure why they removed it.

3 months 10 hours ago
Jayce Miskel

I didn’t even know this gesture existed until I noticed people complaining it was gone. My watch is the Verizon version, and hasn’t been updated. Seems to be a pretty nifty feature actually. I’m not used to using it though so I won’t miss it.

n900mixalot
3 months 6 hours ago
n900mixalot

Same here, I didn’t know I could swipe to go back. I always used the button. I do have the update (not a Verizon device) and haven’t noticed any real differences other than visual / icon differences.

It’s not that exciting as far as using it, but it’s great to see a major update.

ProdByEchelon
3 months 11 hours ago
ProdByEchelon

I never used the gesture so I ain’t complaining