Overdue international Galaxy Note 8 security patch might arrive next week

Home / News / Overdue international Galaxy Note 8 security patch might arrive next week

The international unlocked Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950F) has not received a security patch since August. It’s long overdue and Samsung is yet to roll one out. While the Galaxy Note 8 has received the October security patch in some markets, there’s no word as yet on when it will arrive for this variant.

We hear that there’s a possibility that the overdue Galaxy Note 8 security patch for the international unlocked variant is going to be released at some point next week.

Galaxy Note 8 Security Patch

Samsung first released the October security patch for the Galaxy Note 8 in China and Hong Kong. Earlier today, the company also rolled out the same patch for the Galaxy Note 8 in Canada.

The patch hasn’t arrived on the international unlocked model yet. It hasn’t received one since August. Samsung bypassed the September patch for almost all of its devices as it was busy patching the Blueborne vulnerability.

Next week, we’ll either see the October security patch being rolled out for the Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950F) or the latest patch for the month of November. Samsung is likely going to detail this month’s security patch in a couple of days.

There’s a possibility that this variant of the Galaxy Note 8 might be the first Samsung device to receive the November security patch. Given how long users have been made to wait for a new security update, it would certainly be appropriate.

We shall find out next week how this is going to pan out.

Firmware news 16

10 days 7 hours ago
mantaka

I personally don’t care about those security patches. The main concern for me is that major OS updates are lagging half a year behind.

Big Dre
10 days 20 hours ago
Big Dre

Much as I love my Note 8 note 7 note 5 note 4 smh with my note 8 still on August is unacceptable wen the s6 and older FONES have the October patch already smh I have tmobile here in the states but I will never get a boring iPhone like someone mention..come on Samsung step yo game up while y’all want us to pay 1,000+ for yo phones

Jesusfreak157
12 days 2 hours ago
Jesusfreak157

This is the reason why people switch to iPhones, Unless you use a Pixel you are stuck with the same firmware bugs you bought your phone with. This is pathetic and more pathetic are customers (like me) who pay $1k for devices that have no SW support from their manufacturers. Next time I will either buy a Pixel or a boring iOS device who will provide up to date SW updates and at last show some kind of care for us customers. I love Samsung devices but this is something that has to improve for customer care.

o0MHJ0o
12 days 4 hours ago
o0MHJ0o
A Samsung employee on the tech support team told me that the August security patch contains protection from Blueborne; I don’t believe it but at the same time, Blueborne was already getting fixed by the time we heard about it in September and apparently companies were aware of it earlier in the year to release a fix in August. unless someone actively tries to use the Blueborne hack, I don’t know if we will know for sure if we’re all already protected or not. 3rd party apps in the Play store aren’t always reliable. My Oreo beta is on September… Read more »
MStuart
12 days 17 hours ago
MStuart

$1000 phones but Samsung support is as crappy as always. And in two years, no more updates for you.

wpbogdan
6 days 21 hours ago
wpbogdan

and for other brands that are not scams (apple) you get the same buggy updates as ios

nitzer71
12 days 19 hours ago
nitzer71

No Update for the Galaxy S8 SM-G950F – AUT (Switzerland) since August… So I do not think Galaxy Note 8 owners can complain. We are all on the same boat. And I really think they are focusing on Oreo. Therefore, I rather get Oreo quickly than a security patch or a fix for the BlueBorne issue.

lukkie85
12 days 12 hours ago
lukkie85

Oreo is just a minor feature update, mainly focussed on Nexus/Pixel devices so that Google finally can do the same stuff Samsung has been baking into Android for years.
Security updates however, like the fix for blueborne, should be the top priority for Samsung and especially for the Note 8 as they market this phone as they “business safe” phone.

stoertebecker
12 days 20 hours ago
stoertebecker

A shame what Samsung is doing. We are good to pay a high price but dont get the promised monthly Patches. Next year i will think twice before i order Samsung again.

lukkie85
12 days 12 hours ago
lukkie85

So you will be switching to Apple instead? Or a GPixel?
Only those two phones have the quickest updates in the market. All others always lag behind.

wpbogdan
12 days 19 hours ago
wpbogdan

so you’ll choose LG, right? which updated its G6 and V30 phones once? or any other OEM that never brings security patches?

stoertebecker
12 days 18 hours ago
stoertebecker

I will see. I like my Note 8 but this is not the proper Customer service. We do not spend just a 100 for the phone. If i would do that , then i will not complain but this is slightly more expensive.

12 days 22 hours ago
Martin Eugeniev

I really love Samsung but I am still on August security patch on my S8 unlocked… But I wan’t to point that the phone is working great and there not any problems…

x M a L i K x
12 days 19 hours ago
x M a L i K x

I don’t understand considering how big of a conpany Samsung is that software updates take so long to arrive.

RoadRunner99
12 days 3 hours ago
RoadRunner99

They’ve got way too many phones on the market, and way too many regions to deal with. A separate firmware for each combination of model and country is just ridiculous.

antonmassoud
12 days 21 hours ago
antonmassoud

Same with me, international S8+ still on Aug with no BlueBorne patch yet.

wpDiscuz
Android Oreo Mega Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €55 for €25! Android Oreo Mega Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €55 for €25! X