[Poll Results] How much do you care about Android updates?

Home / News / [Poll Results] How much do you care about Android updates?

While Samsung has been working harder than earlier to release software updates to more smartphones and tablets, there have been a few instances where devices are running two-year older versions of Android. For example, the South Korean smartphone giant is yet to release Android 7.0 to the Galaxy A7 (2017), and it’s still running Android 6.0, which was released by Google back in 2015.

Google released the fourth beta version of Android O yesterday, and it’s a matter of weeks before the final version is released. However, we also know that Samsung brings a lot of features earlier than Google. Features like iris recognition, Secure Folder, themes, and Always On Display, which are available on Samsung’s phones are not available in the stock version of Android. So, we wanted to know how much our readers care about Android updates for their smartphones, tablets, and other devices.

How important are Android updates and security patches for you? Cast your vote in the poll below, and let us know your thoughts about Android updates as well as Samsung’s software update policy.

Poll Results: As per the results, most SamMobile readers (74%) who participated in the poll care about every software update, be it Android version upgrades, bug fixes, or security patches. About 20% of our readers who casted their votes in this poll only care about major Android updates.

Some voters (2%) don’t care about software updates as long as they get to use the features they want, while others don’t like changes to their phone’s software as long as their devices work as expected. Around 1% of voters say that they do care about updates, but they don’t like UI changes.

Do you care about Android updates?

• Yes, I want every small update (74%, 3,829 Votes)
  • I only care about major Android updates (20%, 1,047 Votes)
  • I don’t care about updates, as long as I get to use features (2%, 109 Votes)
  • Updates? As long as my phone works fine, I don’t want anything to change (2%, 101 Votes)
  • I care about updates but I don’t like UI changes (1%, 68 Votes)

Total Voters: 5,154

Loading ... Loading ...

Polls 49

Michollstad
2 months 13 days ago
Michollstad

I don’t care at all, Samsung has always been lightyears ahead of Google in implementing features that we, the consumers, actually care about. The only updates I like to receive are monthly security-updates.

StarKnight
2 months 19 days ago
StarKnight

Samsung updates sucks… sometime they release an update for a country while other countries must wait weeks if not months to get the same update for the same model. And I’m talking about security patches not whole new Android versions… security patches which should be deployed as fast as possible from the day Google makes them public. But this is not the case with Samsung…

Tahab786
2 months 19 days ago
Tahab786

But however Samsung updates are very slow as compare to other company

2 months 20 days ago
LetheRiver

I want 4 years of major updates especially for the high end phones. For me it’s a sign of the company’s investment in their customers. For such expensive phones, with such powerful specs, I expect to be able to keep it for longer than two years. I’m actually considering buying the iPhone 8 over the S8 just so I can keep my phone longer.

2 months 19 days ago
wpbogdan

omg exactly!! if you don’t have the latest OS version in 2 years, you can no longer use your phone!!!!11111
autism

matus201
matus201

I want another option: I care about timely security updates, I do not care so much about Android version numbers. If Samsung promises (and keeps the promise) of 2 major OS updates and 4 years of security updates, that is all I care about.

martindale
martindale
I only have experience of the Note line. For all the people moaning about updates and “I’m getting a Pixel” because I need the latest updates yesterday already. my old original Note had floating video-in-windows, I seem to remember it had split screen too. Certainly my Note 4 had those ‘Nougat’ features, and all long before any ‘pure’ stock Android phone. Some people will cut of their nose to spite their face. Sure they will have a later version number on their Google phone, but if it is the latest features they want they will see those on a Samsung… Read more »
wpbogdan

watchout, you’ll get downvoted by the virgins for saying the truth!
anyway, stock android still doesn’t have status bar battery percentage without rooting. it will probably be added in 20 years

LeifS
LeifS

If you ask “normal” users “Updates? As long as my phone works fine, I don’t want anything to change” would have much more votes. Some get really upset when something they’ve learned suddenly changes and they’ve to get used to it again.

fcaroll
fcaroll

I care about updates just too much for samsung

DANN03

Samsung must keep google update agenda!!!
They take 1 year to make an OTA update.
S8+ should have 7.1.1 at launch date

martindale
martindale

Samsung should cut the Note 4 some slack, at least in Europe, where it is *stiill* the current model in the Note line. Anyone still using their Note 4, who has not given up and jumped ship, is a long-suffering and loyal customer, so a little Nougat love would be a welcome gesture. Although it is noted that we are still getting regular monthly security updates, that at least.

wpbogdan

“still the current model” but it’s discontinued? the Note brand is dead in europe..until august

Osensnolf
Osensnolf

A better response would have been… Yes, I want every major and minor update… but I am OK if I only get major updates.

Most all of us WANT every update but not so much that we are willing to use a phone that does get EVERY minor update.

CarlSimon
CarlSimon

It’s soon 8 months ago Google released 7.1.1 and Galaxy S6-S8 is still on 7.0. Think I’ve bought my last Samsung – next will probably be the Pixel 2 XL.

stondec
stondec

Besides security updates, I don’t see what Google updates really has to offer. A lot of the Samsung features that have been available for years are just now being introduced in the latest Android updates from Google. Enjoy your Pixel but you’ll always be years behind features that are available on Samsung phones.

Androidfan4891
2 months 20 days ago
Androidfan4891

I completely agree

wpbogdan

congratulations, you are the dumbest moron i’ve ever seen.

lets see the 5 new features that 7.1 has over 7.0:

Blue Light Filter: we had that since android 6.0 (Note7)
Fingerprint swipe down gesture: we have that (S8)
VR: we have that
App Shortcuts: we have that (again, android 6.0 Note7)
Circular app icons: we have that

you have fried our braincells, well done. please stop buying Samsung because it’s obvious that they’re too advanced for idiots like you.

OH, and if you care so much about the versions, keep in mind that pixel STILL can’t display battery percentage in status bar without rooting.

wpbogdan

when you get rekt so you get your boyfriends to bot downvote me

CarlSimon
CarlSimon

It don’t think it is too much to ask to answer civilized even though we think different. With the size and the money Samsung’s got I think it’s a shame they are the slowest in the industry on updating their phones. I also realize SamMobile might not be a website for me anymore even though I own a Samsung phone and smartwatch.

krym73
krym73

Im always surprise how people in these chat rooms are hardcore update lovers, almost to the point some people seem as if they’re pheening to it. In my daily work day, most people come in to complain about software updates. Rarely do i actually see someone looking for the next update.

eHoolie
eHoolie

Every OS update is critical, they patch holes, flaws and fix hiccups in the system. That’s why major OEM’s agreed to push security updates with Google in a timely manor. But that hasn’t been happening with all phones.

nupicasso
nupicasso

For those who say only tech geeks care about updates, I say watch when Apple releases an iOS update. If only techies cared about updates, the millions of people on iOS wouldn’t be clogging Apple servers rushing to update their iPhones every time there’s a new iteration of iOS. I know woman who jump at these updates and they are the last techie people. Most loves new features. Not just techies.

Osensnolf
Osensnolf

I’m guessing you haven’t used an iOS device much lately.

As an Android user (and owner of an app company), it is very annoying for me to test my app on an iPhone when there is an available update. I only use the phone a couple hours a week and I could not imagine rejecting the update and using the phone daily.

People update iOS not because they know what is new, but to make the daily (and tricky) prompts go away.

Jasi2169
Jasi2169

i only need next android updates,small updates doesn’t matters to me maybe matters to users as a advanced guy i don’t care

maccyb
maccyb

We have to remember the responders here are tech geeks into their phones quite a lot. Ask the millions of people who buy Android phones and they’ll ask, “what updates?” or will vote Updates? I don’t care as long as my phone works fine. This poll doesn’t mean very much.

Acorns
Acorns

Still bit pointless with a Samsung. Still waiting for Nougat and security patch from Three mobile in the UK for my S6

speedyranger
speedyranger

received yesterday on my s6 edge no brand

xpr0back
xpr0back

We must get the updates all in the same time,not someone today and someone before 1 week or something just like this..

naranova7
naranova7

A device must receive as many updates as its hardware can handle. Including major and minor android updates as well as UI updates.
Samsung must truly stop using the UI, or certain software features that are not restricted by hardware as a marketing tool. It’s disrespectful to the intelligence of their users.

RoadRunner99
RoadRunner99

Security updates should be mandatory for at least five years. Major version updates, well, at least on flagships sure Samsung can do better than they’re doing at the moment. Seems like they’re copying the wrong things from Apple and not taking care of what Apple gets right.

wpDiscuz