Home / News / [Poll Results] Would you prefer a squeezable frame instead of a dedicated button for Bixby?

Samsung debuted its AI-powered digital assistant Bixby with the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8+, and even dedicated a hardware button for it on the smartphones. However, since the company failed to launch Bixby Voice (the assistant’s most important feature) in time, consumers got annoyed. Hello Bixby isn’t very useful in its current form, and Samsung doesn’t even let users remap the Bixby button to open other apps that they use frequently.

On the other hand, HTC’s flagship smartphone, the U11, comes with a squeezable frame. It can be configured to launch one of the three AI assistants available on the phone: Alexa, Google Assistant, and HTC Assistant. Moreover, users can configure its pressure sensitivity as well as use short and long squeezes to perform various operations. It is also rumored that Google’s next Pixel phone will use a similar squeezable frame to launch Google Assistant.

If the idea of a squeezable frame gets picked up by multiple smartphone brands, would you prefer Samsung using a similar feature in its phones instead of a button? Such a hardware feature would also make it possible to let users configure the long squeeze action (with the short squeeze dedicated to summoning Bixby) to launch the camera or any other third-party app. Moreover, it can also eradicate accidental presses that some consumers face with the Bixby button on the Galaxy S8 and S8+.

Cast your votes in the poll below, and let us know your thoughts on the matter in the comments section!

Poll Results: Going by the the poll results, most voters (31%) are fine with a physical button for Bixby. However, 28% voters think that a squeezable frame would improve the overall experience. Around 24% of the voters don’t want to deal with a button or a squeezable frame, while 17% voters are not sure if they prefer a squeezable frame but they think that it could be better than the Bixby button. It’s a split result, and we think that most consumers are confused as to what would be a better solution.

Would you prefer a squeezable frame instead of a dedicated button for Bixby?

• No, a button is just fine (31%, 408 Votes)
  • Yes, absolutely (28%, 370 Votes)
  • I'd rather just launch it from the app drawer, no dedicated hardware required (24%, 319 Votes)
  • Not sure, but better that than the irritating button (16%, 208 Votes)

Total Voters: 1,305

Loading ... Loading ...
Don't miss Samsung has a legitimate reason to block Bixby button remapping, whether we like it or not

Polls 15

4 months 1 day ago
Greg Joplin

What about NO BIXBY AT ALL!!!

itsa
4 months 4 days ago
itsa

Bixby?Does anyone use bixby?

maccyb
4 months 5 days ago
maccyb

The button is good. The squeezey frame is a gimmick. I use defense shield rigid metal bumper cases that don’t “squeeze”.

redgumtv
4 months 5 days ago
redgumtv

The buttons fine. Like many other people I mount the S8 in a car mount and they all need to squeeze the phone. No thanks, the car mount is more important, so leave squeeze out.
Samsung should spend more time on the rear fingerprint reader. Impossible to use when phone is car mounted.

Gregg1100
4 months 6 days ago
Gregg1100

I would root the S8 and get rid of bloody bixby- and the rest of the samsung crapware.. I certainly don’t need any so called assistant. Cortana firmly shut off on pc and laptop.
Just need a phone that works, doesn’t shatter with stupid glass back and 5.7″ max screen—the Note 4 was big enough for anyone. No sammy for me till glass backs go from their designs (???). Got a OnePlus 5- a few thing missing that I wouldn’t want anyway, and £200 notes cheaper.

SenorSjon
4 months 5 days ago
SenorSjon
I bit the bullet and bought the U11. It was quite cheap with Vodafone here. I use the squeeze for the flashlight and the longsqueeze for a screenshot. It is a fantastic phone with great camera and it is bloody fast. The 3.000 mAh lasts me 2 days, that is more than my Note 3 ever did. I had a new S7 for my mother this weekend and it felt very sluggish. I only miss my S-pen, but it was Samsungs choice not to have a Note available for years around here. Samung also has a lot too improve on… Read more »
naranova7
4 months 6 days ago
naranova7

Sometimes I hold the phone very tightly so that I make sure it doesn’t fall when for example taking a picture. I certainly wouldn’t want Bixby to launch when I squeeze it. However squeezing is a very useful option instead of a shutter button.

Wizky911
4 months 6 days ago
Wizky911

The S8 is squeezable….well it can detect a squeeze. its in the hardware test menu

mweinbach
4 months 6 days ago
mweinbach

I have bad Bixby Voice and I like it. It is actually really good. People should stop complaining, if they don’t like it, don’t buy the phone.

o0MHJ0o
4 months 6 days ago
o0MHJ0o

I really don’t understand why people are complaining about the extra. lets say it did launch the camera instead and was a dedicated camera button, would there still be the same amount of complaints that it is “always” being launched when I don’t want it to.
I can only wait for voice to arrive, but in the meantime, it stays unpressed quite easily

Abhijeet M.
4 months 6 days ago
Abhijeet M.

People only ask for the option to be able to put that button to the task of launching the camera because Bixby Voice isn’t available in most markets. If there had to be a dedicated camera button, it would be placed somewhere else. I’ve had the S8 for nearly three months, and Bixby still manages to launch because of an accidental press now and then.

o0MHJ0o
4 months 6 days ago
o0MHJ0o

oh really, where would it be placed? on the other side, but then you’ll confuse it for the power button and those complaints would start rolling in. After months of use, you should be used to it by now. unless it is not your daily driver. and not only that, but Bixby requires a double tap to launch since the first security patch was sent through to my S8+.

vanillasky
4 months 6 days ago
vanillasky

Since when it requires double tap? Last update for me was with June security patch and still one tap to open.

4 months 6 days ago
kevind03

Seeing bixby’s potential from its latest reviews I think it has future

wpDiscuz
Android Oreo Mega Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €55 for €25! Android Oreo Mega Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €55 for €25! X