It has only been two days since Samsung said that pre-orders for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ have crossed 620,000 units combined in its home market of South Korea. The company has even sold more than 150,000 units of the $1000 128GB Galaxy S8+ that features 6GB of RAM.
Samsung’s mobile business chief Dong-jin Koh confirmed to reporters today that the combined pre-order sales have now reached 728,000 units as of Wednesday. He added that while the company can't disclose the exact figure for pre-orders in the United States, the number is higher than it was for the Galaxy S7 last year.
Koh further added that Samsung is going to make efforts to regain its lost position in China where Korean companies like Samsung are facing increasing competition from local rivals. Not to mention the fact that public opinion against Korean companies in China isn't too favorable considering the political tension between the two countries.
“China is the market we can never give up. Although we have had a hard time over the past two years in the market, we believe Chinese consumers will react to and recognize good products,” Koh said.
He also addressed concerns about battery safety which are still fresh in our memories because it hasn't been that long since the entire Galaxy Note 7 fiasco. Koh said that Samsung conducted battery tests on more than 100,000 units of the Galaxy S8 and it can “confidently say the Galaxy S8 is safe for use.”
Samsung aims to sell one million units of the new flagship during the pre-order period and if it keeps going at this rate, it may cross that mark well before the April 21 release date.