SamMobile has affiliate and sponsored partnerships. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn a commission. Learn more.

Samsung will no longer source Galaxy Note 7 batteries from its own battery-making division

Phone
By 

Last updated: September 14th, 2016 at 10:37 UTC+02:00

Several reports have suggested that the faulty Galaxy Note 7 batteries at risk of overheating and explosion were sourced from Samsung SDI, the company’s battery-making division, and it’s believed to have met 70 percent of Samsung’s demand for the Galaxy Note 7. China’s Amperex Technology Limited or ATL is believed to have met the remaining 30 percent with focus on units headed to China. This is one of the reasons why customers in China are not affected by the Galaxy Note 7 recall.

The company is yet to assign blame to Samsung SDI publicly and it hasn’t said whether it’s going to stop sourcing batteries from it for the Galaxy Note 7 but this possibility has been rumored before. Reuters now hears from a person with knowledge of the plans that Samsung will be making ATL its main battery supplier for the Galaxy Note 7.

The scribe’s source says that ATL received orders from Samsung for additional Galaxy Note 7 batteries soon after it announced the global recall, it’s also said that ATL will completely take over the battery supply for this handset at least for the time being. ATL’s chief operating officer Joe Kit Chu Lam said he couldn’t comment on a specific client’s business but he did mention that his company saw a “significant increase” in business this month.

ATL expects this situation to continue for “the coming one to two quarters,” and doesn’t believe that this will create any capacity issue for the company. This means that ATL has the capacity to be the main supplier of Galaxy Note 7’s batteries even if Samsung decides not to source them from Samsung SDI for this handset. Multiple Korean news outlets are now reporting that Samsung will exclusively use batteries supplied by ATL for the Galaxy Note 7.

 

Source Phone Galaxy Note 7Samsung SDI
Load 3 comments

You might also like

Samsung SDI showcases latest battery tech for commercial EVs at IAA Transportation in Germany

While Samsung SDI has already joined hands with popular car manufacturers around the world, such as Volkswagen, BMW, and Stellantis, to supply batteries for their passenger electric vehicles (EVs), the company is also keen on supplying batteries for commercial EVs. To that extent, Samsung SDI is demonstrating its latest battery technologies for commercial electric vehicles […]

  • By Asif Iqbal Shaik
  • 7 days ago

Samsung SDI boss meets US officials to discuss its car battery joint venture with Stellantis

Last year, Samsung SDI announced that it is entering a joint venture with carmaker Stellantis to set up an EV battery plant in the US. Now, the South Korean firm’s officials met a delegation of officials from the US to discuss the joint venture further. Samsung SDI President and CEO Yoonho Choi met a delegation […]

  • By Asif Iqbal Shaik
  • 1 month ago

Samsung to spend $1.5 billion on EV battery manufacturing in Europe

Samsung seemingly has big plans for the electric vehicle market, and it should, given the looming 2035 ban on gas-powered cars. The Korean tech giant has become one of the major battery suppliers for the EV market, and the company plans to invest even more in the segment. Samsung SDI reportedly plans to make a […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 1 month ago

Samsung SDI establishes first EV battery R&D center in the United States

Samsung SDI has finished setting up its first research and development center in the USA. Located in Boston, the purpose of this new facility is to give Samsung a competitive edge in the electric vehicle battery market. This new development follows a similar announcement Samsung made earlier in the summer when SDI opened up a […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 1 month ago

Samsung SDI logs best-ever EV battery sales and operating profit in Q2

According to the latest numbers by Yonhap Infomax, Samsung SDI posted its best ever operating income and sales figures in the second quarter. This is all thanks to the robust EV battery sales and the world’s shift to electric vehicles. As per the report, the operating income reached KRW 429 billion (around $330.4 million) during […]

  • By Sagar Naresh
  • 2 months ago

Samsung confirms $1.3 billion plan for an EV battery factory in Malaysia

Several reports from earlier today suggest that Samsung is on an investment spree to expand its operations. Aside from the fact that the company plans to build nearly a dozen chip factories in the USA, Samsung just confirmed its new investment strategy for an EV battery manufacturing facility in Malaysia. We heard about Samsung SDI […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 2 months ago