Galaxy S8 may feature a 4K UHD display

Home / News / Galaxy S8 may feature a 4K UHD display

Samsung is expected to go with a 5.5-inch 4K Ultra High Definition display for its next flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S8. This has been rumored in the past as well and at least for now the rumor mill is convinced that Samsung will make the jump to 4K with the Galaxy S8. Not only will such a high-resolution display give Samsung bragging rights but it’s also going to significantly improve the virtual reality experience.

The company has already demonstrated a 5.5-inch 4K UHD display with 806 ppi at the SID 2016 trade show, market analysts believe that the production yield rate for this display will improve in the coming months thus enabling Samsung to use it for the Galaxy S8. I should point out here that Samsung bumps up the quality of its displays ever two years, the Galaxy S3 had an HD display while the Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy S5 both had a full HD display and the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S7 both feature a Quad HD display. If history is going to repeat itself then we very well might see a 4K UHD display in the Galaxy S8.

Via

Phones 12

antonmassoud
1 year 7 months ago
antonmassoud

1440p is actually fine, and 4k display won’t make it that much better, except in VR,,, plus, the 4k display will slow down the device cuz it will have to push more pixels …

zluishenry15
1 year 7 months ago
zluishenry15

Galaxy S7 was released this year, come on, let us feel safe for now!

ijazali
1 year 7 months ago
ijazali

thats what I was thinking, i m planning to buy s7 edge, but now with the posts regarding s8, i feel kind of unsafe

harryisme
1 year 7 months ago
harryisme

You can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p, 4K seems like overkill to me, I understand it makes a difference with VR but to the naked eye? I’m not sure it would matter much.

alawadhi3000
1 year 7 months ago
alawadhi3000

If you can’t tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p you have a poor vision. But I agree about 1440p being more than enough, 4K will be only good for VR.

sam142000
1 year 7 months ago
sam142000

Guys 4K is 2160p and not 1440p.
Secondly if you compare 1080p and 4K on a proper 4K screen you can clearly make out the difference.

alawadhi3000
1 year 7 months ago
alawadhi3000

Reading fail? Everyone knows that UHD (Wrongly marketed as 4K) is 2160p, harryisme was using the example of moving from 1080p (In the S4 and Note3) to 1440p (S6/S7 and Note4/5) didn’t make much improvement.

Sizzleboom
1 year 7 months ago
Sizzleboom

If I’m not mistaken, the Samsung Galaxy Note (the first one) already had an HD screen.

HexerPsy
1 year 7 months ago
HexerPsy

But it would still be pointless… Costs more battery power to run, a lot of GPU power to run that display. Many other phones with 4K displays perform tricks like reducing the resolution to save power on many apps… I bet that, if they do push the 4K display, battery complaints are going to blow up – and the galaxy S9 will feature a much bigger battery to compensate. Similarly how the SD card slot made its comback after the S6 failure.

MStuart
1 year 7 months ago
MStuart

I hope the 5.1″ size will still be available. I really don’t want a 5.5″ monster of a phone.

ProdByEchelon