Exclusive: Samsung Galaxy Note 6 to come with USB Type-C, new Gear VR incoming?

Home / News / Exclusive: Samsung Galaxy Note 6 to come with USB Type-C, new Gear VR incoming?

After Samsung’s success with the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, the South Korean smartphone giant wants to tackle the upcoming iPhone with the successor to the Galaxy Note 5. We have already confirmed that the Galaxy Note 6 will be water- and dust-resistant like the Galaxy S7 duo, and it could possibly feature an iris scanner.

We can now exclusively confirm that the Galaxy Note 6 will feature a USB Type-C port, reversible connector and all. We don’t know whether it will be USB 3.1 or an older standard; it would be logical for Samsung to go with USB 3.1 since it is truly the one port to rule them all. USB 3.1 supports USB Power Delivery 2.0 for faster device charging and the ability to carry HDMI or Display Port video signals.

This brings another important question to our minds: will Samsung release a new Gear VR alongside the Galaxy Note 6? The current version of the Gear VR comes with a microUSB port, so it would be logical to expect a new Gear VR – the second-generation model if you must – with a USB Type-C connector. Nothing is set in stone right now, and it will be interesting to see what Samsung is cooking up in its labs for the second half of this year.

Phones 21

iamnigeloke
1 year 6 months ago
iamnigeloke

I just want to see the IR blaster back, nothing else! Good thing I snagged the S6.

mcalvo@outlook.com
1 year 7 months ago

IR Blaster back pleeeease!!!!!!!!!

Solun
Solun

I fail to grasp why would anyone need FM radio? You can listen to ANY radio station on the internet today so why FM? They removed it from the S4 in 2013 and I don´t see any reason for it to come back in 2016 when most professionals (the main customer group for this phone) have good data access. I understand why people want the IR blaster though, that was a neat feature.

Solun
Solun

Note 6 gets me excited so much more than the S7 – especially because I am going to buy it no matter what.

darkman6092
darkman6092

Are they including a removable battery, Micro SD card and IR blaster, these are extremely important features and should be standard on any flagship phone especially tin the note series, Samsung really needs to get this right to regain footing in the market again and become number one, if not then thy are making a huge mistake and will see it in the lack of sales. or haven’t the figure that out yet. I really want to upgrade to the note 6 but need to have the right motivation to do so.

chanchan05
chanchan05

They already are number 1, even in the US they’ve eclipsed Apple in sales. The S7 already has the microSD slot, and most likely the Note 6 will too. I doubt that removable battery will come back though, since the S7 sold a lot without that.

tstint16
tstint16

That’s what prevented me from getting the Note 5 was the IR blaster, sd card slot, and the removable battery. I’m ok if the battery is not removable but Sammy you have to bring back the IR blaster and SD card slot for the Note 6!!!!

maaen

I will not buy a Note 6 if it ain’t got a removable battery….SIMPLES.
No point in going crazy for all the technology if the basic need for a removable battery is denied….EXTRA SIMPLES…..

chanchan05
chanchan05

You’ll probably be out of luck then, or stick with LG. Doubt the removable battery will come back. The S7 sold a lot, even with a non-removable battery. Samsung will likely see that as ok.

bgsky
bgsky

Hopefully they will bring back the temperature sensor, atmospheric pressure sensor, Ir Blaster. Get rid out of this 12 Megapixel camera and put some over 22 Megapixels.
Otherwise it will be the next same phone 🙂

nattyboy
nattyboy

That’s pretty impressive… and I sincerely hope it comes with IR Blaster and FM radio like others have said.
That will be very good. I just don’t knw why samsung keep adding some features and removing even the good ones. They can make the phone powerful and sleek and still add the IR blaster n FM.
Just hope they will include the microSD as well.

golem1102
golem1102

My dream note 6 is having a curved display, a big battry, IR blaster (i really dont know if i can move to a phone without it), in water resistant. And of course some new features for the s pen that i love so much

stondec
stondec

This is exciting. I hope the IR blaster makes a resurgence.

pedrinho1977
pedrinho1977

They could just include an adapter for the Gear VR as with the S7 they included an adapter for transfering files from one device to another, i know it’s not the same thing but that’s something they could do.

Solun
Solun

Would be pretty difficult to fit it in there… I think they will stick to the old microUSB or will make a new Gear VR.

lujki

Hmm… SamMobile also had an exclusive where you claimed the S7 would have USB type C too. http://www.sammobile.com/2015/10/16/exclusive-the-galaxy-s7-will-feature-a-usb-type-c-port/
And yet..

drmodify
drmodify

Hope all is true then. But if USB type C will be coming, I hope wireless charging would still be there as well as old features returned like IR blaster, FM receiver

lujki

Great. But I’m more into the S series. I hope S8 will feature a full metal body, USB type C, of course edge screen too, I won’t list waterproofing and stuff as it’s expected, not a wish.
And most important, an update program like HTC’s, where for flagships you get the update max 90 days after Nexus.

imattv4
imattv4
Based on my personal screen on time usage of the Note 5 which is: Average / Light usage over 20 – 30 hrs: 6 – 7 hrs Heavy usage over 20 hrs: 5 – 6 hrs Video playback (no wifi / 4G): 13 hrs Video playback (wifi): 10 hrs We should see these numbers on the Note 6: Average / Light usage over 20 – 30 hrs: 8 – 9 hrs Heavy usage over 20 hrs: 7 – 8 hrs Video playback (no wifi / 4G): 16 hrs Video playback (wifi): 12.5 hrs This is based on the new rumour… Read more »
ItsAGeekThing
ItsAGeekThing

Hopefully they will bring back the IR Blaster and enable the FM receiver. Other than that im excited for USB Type C.

R0987
R0987

I hope it also has a ir blaster and a 3.5 mm headphone jack(the last one seems to be replaced by the usb type c port in more and more phones).

wpDiscuz