Samsung is working on its own curated news app for Galaxy devices

Samsung had previously partnered with Flipboard to offer a news briefing widget that’s usually embedded into the launcher on Galaxy devices. Now, the company is working on its own aggregated news app dubbed ‘UPDAY’ for its smartphones and tablets. Samsung might be looking to compete with Apple News that was announced earlier this year.

The company has partnered with Alex Springer, a leading newspaper and digital content publisher in Europe, to develop the app. UPDAY is being pitched as an “aggregated news content platform” where news stories and content will be selected algorithmically as well as manually by a local team of news editors. However, the Alex Springer hasn’t revealed the amount of content that it will produce exclusively for this news service.

UPDAY will be exclusive to Galaxy devices, and its beta version will be available to download from the Google Play Store as well as the company’s Galaxy Apps and Galaxy Gifts stores. The app will be rolled out to Galaxy owners in Germany and Poland, and then its availability will be expanded to other European markets early next year. If Samsung thinks that it has potential, it will be rolled out to customers globally.

Via Source

General 9

MStuart
1 year 11 months ago
MStuart

Not I that particularly mind them doing this, but I think their software efforts should better be directed elsewhere.

ProdByEchelon
1 year 11 months ago
ProdByEchelon

Or you can download the apk no matter where you are in the world.

ThaiM
1 year 11 months ago
ThaiM

Samsunk needs to create their own app that takes up as little space as possible because of the new downgrade in innovation that their devices now offer.

Vesta@12b
1 year 11 months ago
Vesta@12b

More bloatware….

tetra82
1 year 11 months ago
tetra82

How is it bloatware? Because you yourself not like it without even see it yet? I hate when people do this.

iPhone 6 has way more preinstalled apps than Galaxy S6 and the added benefit of actually being able to disable most of them

eHoolie
1 year 11 months ago
eHoolie

Its bloatware if its preinstalled on the system partition so you cant fully remove it. And why bring up Apple? Nobody else did. I cant stand the Flipboard crap they put on my Note 3 and how they tied it to the home button, drove me crazy.

jpd514
1 year 11 months ago
jpd514

Hey you!
Flipboard is the most addictive information platform that we can find on the Internet. So talk for yourself.

Thanks to Samsung to open new horizon.

phate89
1 year 11 months ago
phate89

Doesn’t matter. Samsung implementation is simply terrible. You can’t customize it at all… Also if you don’t want it you can’t remove it taking space from other things (in a phone without microsd is quite important)

eHoolie
1 year 11 months ago
eHoolie

If you bothered to read my comment, if you can. I was talking for myself. Hence the uses of “I” and “me” in my comment. Get a life.

wpDiscuz