Samsung issues statement on Exynos 4 vulanerability, promises software update ‘as quickly as possible’

Recently, a major vulnerability was discovered in Exynos 4 SoC mainly in Exynos 4210 and Exynos 4412 processors. The security flaw was in the kernel which made the device R/W by all users, apps and gives access to full Physical Memory. In short, this vulnerability gave root permissions to *any* app and there was no control over it.

Just today Samsung issued a statement to Android Central acknowledging the security exploit and promising a software update to fix the security hole ‘as quickly as possible’. Samsung confirms that they were aware of the nature of this security exploit and a specially-coded malicious app is required to take advantage of it. So, the users who install known applications or install applications by trusted developers are probably on the safe side.

Affected Exynos 4210 devices:
– Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
– Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
– AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I777

Affected Exynos 4412 devices:
– Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
– Samsung Galaxy S3  LTE GT-I9305
– Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100
– Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE GT-N7105
– Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8000
– Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8010

Official Statement by Samsung:-
Samsung is aware of the potential security issue related to the Exynos processor and plans to provide a software update to address it as quickly as possible.
The issue may arise only when a malicious application is operated on the affected devices; however, this does not affect most devices operating credible and authenticated applications.
Samsung will continue to closely monitor the situation until the software fix has been made available to all affected mobile devices.

(Source: AndroidCenteral)

Firmware news 30

franz180
4 years 6 months ago
franz180

so update 4.1 for gs2 and note
!!

edinhogamadf
4 years 6 months ago
edinhogamadf
i would give my precious advice to samsung …” Instead of creating soaps please create phone… ” to mentain standard you need to take care about the device running in market … else i are not at all considered to be in level with iphone…. I am owner of S2 gt 9100 and facing Exynos and poor update and response from samsung. hope to get a better JB update…. 4.2.1 till end of jan 2013…:( i would recommend people to buy xperaia or Iphone rather then Samsung high end devices …they are busy n calculating money …as a customer buying… Read more »
saqr1999
4 years 6 months ago
saqr1999

Es curioso, ya que en la pagina oficial del Samsung galaxy s2 nos muestra como descripción: Impulse su negocio con conectividad de alta velocidad, SEGURIDAD MOVIL DE CALIDAD y un procesador rápido…

emoux
emoux

@henriw: Samsung Exynos 4210 dual-core processor

vksm
vksm

How about Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800? Many sources claims it also has Exynos 4210?

handark
handark

Maybe Update .. once more Maybe… for SII only.. or Maybe Samy will forget it.. Busy to sell new Devices

g30gli
g30gli

totally agree with you @SA71 🙂

The SII still continues to sell and with fairly good hardware capabilities. hopefully arrive before year-end update. Come on Samsung, Xmas gift 🙂

devilnv
devilnv
@poxvirus Man.The point is not that there is solutions in net.But as customer when for example i give 600-700 euros for a samsung smart phone,then i want EVERYTHING works WELL without problems. So i don’t say Samsung will not fix this but i say and i hope they fix this as soon as possible to all we feel calm about this problem.I don’t want to make experiments to my phone and setup other applications to fix something that from the start shouldn’t be like this. By the way the man that says iPhone 5 best phone world is so fail… Read more »
josef.fanta
josef.fanta
I am not an S II owner, I have Note II. I think people are unjustly harsh on S II owners. S II is not an old model, only 1 year old with fairly good hardware capabilities. Anything less than two years of a decent manufacturer support is sub standard. Current S III owners and Note II owners will be equally disappointed if they face the same situation as S II owners a year from now. Samsung have to find a balance between spitting out a new phone every couple of weeks and supporting existing devices. If one decides to… Read more »
g30gli
g30gli

“jaja” to you will be the same Mr general, stoner….when you leave the S4, you’ll be like me. and it touched you bastard “the new generation of mobile device’s” jajajaja

if you change the phone every 1 year that’s your problem, otherwise do not buy the “famous” S3 why not present many improvements that my current S2, so do not boast much with your silly S3 …. S4 come on to me.

Good bye, hopefully they will die and the S4 has happened to many, to charge it off and never turns on, “that spectacular smartphone” cueeck

g30gli
g30gli

Update S3 for United Kingdom, Germany and bla bla bla….

delay update for S2?, with this it is shown that it has nothing to do with the Bug Exynos processor.

Update for S2 NOW!!!!!!

Shows that they have no excuse for update the i9100 !!!!!

Update for S2 NOW!
Update for S2 NOW!
Update for S2 NOW!
Update for S2 NOW!
Update for S2 NOW!
Update for S2 NOW!

josef.fanta
josef.fanta

“Iphone 5 is world best phone? No HA HA HA
Si ma pekne pobavil hned z rána”

We do not take iPhone guys comments into account. You guys do not even know where you are with iPhone inaccurate maps. You are disoriented.

jackschidt
jackschidt

Here here Poxvirus 🙂

aravind75
aravind75

@poxvirus

nwg.piotr
nwg.piotr
I had a lot of fun reading these comments…. You want 4.1.2 for your S3….it’s available on the net! You want 4.1.2 for your S2…..it’s available on the net! You want to be safe with exynos problem…..there is a patch on the net (chainfire is the best one)! Your camera is broken because of the patch….there is a solution on the net ! I mean, come on guys, if you really want solutions they are available on the net….just have a look and stop crying like stupid kids! And if you really prefer a Iphone….buy it and you will understand… Read more »
jackschidt
jackschidt

It seem you people are not happy unless you’re winging about somthing

bob55
bob55

general stoner, how true you 🙂

bob55
bob55

Iphone 5 is world best phone? No HA HA HA 😀 😀 😀
Si ma pekne pobavil hned z rána 😀 😀 😀

dimmufikri
dimmufikri

Bye Samsung Phones and tablets.I will change world’s best phone iphone 5 .Bye Bye//

moaga
moaga

Guys, samsung ‘WILL’ solve the problem, for now just apply the patch by mr chainfire from xda or any other solutions out there n with lots of pray wait for the official update from samsung, other then that nothing we can do at this point…

vivekpaib
vivekpaib

Seems Samsung doesnt plan on keeping market share. Can we have another nexus device please, HTC or Sony

josef.fanta
josef.fanta

Samsung will quicker make 5 more versions of Galaxy phones, than fix this issue.

Dkarakio
Dkarakio

Roberttromp – so McDonalds make better burgers than your mother because they make more? Grow up dude…

Also – I couldn’t care less who or which company makes/does what, when something is f***ed up, it’s f***ed up, and they should be held responsible for it.

devilnv
devilnv

You guys MUST fix this problem no matter what.Because our expensive devices health depends on this about software.So release as soon as possible a complete update that fix this one and other bugs also if you can recognize without make something previous not working.I believe you can do it.We need this so badly to feel calm about this situation

boudis
boudis

I am running business I just lost all my data and possibility somebody stolen my bank details with all my clients data who will be responsibility cause of security hole on device? I will take legal action against Samsung. I am very disappointing

wpDiscuz