Posted by Faryaab S. 6 months ago

Antutu-Logo-S5

Samsung is all set to launch its upcoming Galaxy S flagship device, the Galaxy S5, on February 24 at its UNPACKED 2014 event in Barcelona and as the time to the launch event is coming close, rumours are popping up from all around the globe. Today, two Galaxy S5 variants, SM-G900H and SM-G900R4, showed up on Antutu’s database with very different specifications, they literally have nothing in common in-terms of specifications except the camera sensors.

A few days ago, an analyst predicted that Samsung will actually be launching two variants of the Galaxy S5, a standard variant and a prime (premium) variant, much like what Apple did with the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C. These benchmarks add a bit weight to that prediction but as we know that benchmarks can easily be manipulated and tempered with, so we would take this news with a pinch of salt. Also, even if these benchmarks were performed on the mentioned devices, the devices would be test samples with early hardware and software, so these results don’t really matter much.

Firstly, let’s talk about the premium variant (SM-G900R4) of the Galaxy S5. According to the benchmark result, the device is equipped with a Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974AC) SoC with a clock speed of 2.5GHz, Adreno 330 GPU, 3GB RAM, 32GB of internal storage, QHD (2560×1400) resolution display, 16-megapixel main camera sensor, 2.1-megapixel front facing camera and is running Android 4.4.2 KitKat.

The device scored 31,843 points in the benchmark, the score itself is lower than of the Galaxy Note 3′s (SM-N9008). You may be thinking how is that even possible, shouldn’t the Galaxy S5 score higher points than the Note 3? Well, you’re right. The main reason behind the lower score is the Adreno 330 GPU. Even though both devices feature the same GPU, the Galaxy S5′s huge QHD (2560×1440) resolution puts a bit more stress on the GPU than the Galaxy Note 3′s Full HD (1920×1080) resolution, which results in a low 3D score.

The story is entirely different with the standard variant (SM-G900H) of the Galaxy S5. Benchmark reveals an Octa-core Samsung Exynos 5422 SoC with a clock speed of 1.5GHz, ARM Mali-T628 GPU, 2GB RAM, 16GB of internal storage, Full HD (1920×1080) resolution display, 16-megapixel main camera sensor, 2.1-megapixel front facing camera and this unit is also running Android 4.4.2 KitKat.

The standard variant of the Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H) scored a total of 35,445 points in the benchmark, beating the Exynos-equipped Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900) by 1,203 points and the premium model of the Galaxy S5 (SM-G900R4) by 3,602 points which is powered by a Snapdragon SoC.

Source: Antutu CN (1)(2)

14 comments on “Two very different Galaxy S5 variants get benchmarked on Antutu, SM-G900H and SM-G900R4

1. megalomaiac14 6 months ago said:

I don’t get why samsung would still use the s 800 or 805 even vs using the new a57 architecture that would put the s5 into a new league of personal computing smartphones. Arms new architecture has been ready for implementation since late 2013 and will give major benefits in performance and finally give smartphones and tablets the capability of running full os style applications. Hopefully they come to their senses and stop with the gimmick focused stuff and spend the time and money on real innovations. The s pen was the last major one but that’s been several years and while I love my note 3, samsung needs to do something big as this hardware is all becoming standardized and cannot justify their prices without something new imo

Mega

• MastaCow 6 months ago said:

I really don’t understand why they didn’t use the 805. My Note 3 gets 36,105 on Antutu. Why are they going backward?

• hot_spare 6 months ago said:

Because 805 won’t be available for mass production before 2nd Q.

They are using what is best available at the time of manufacture. The production of phones have to start months earlier to produce millions of phones required.

And, just some lower number in AnTuTu doesn’t mean anything. People don’t go to shop and ask if the phones can post 36000 in AnTuTu. Stop this ridiculous thing about benchmarks. They mean nothing (absolutely nothing) in real world.

• MastaCow 6 months ago said:

Well then Samsung should have waited until the 805 was available. If they’re going to use a QHD screen, the need a GPU with the horsepower to drive it.

Oh well, I won’t be in the market again until the Note 6 comes along.

• hot_spare 6 months ago said:

LOL!!
            You think a company will be able to make hold sales for 2 months just because another newer processor will be coming. Where do you live my friend?? Corporate culture doesn’t work like that.
            it’s very well possible that after few months Samsung quietly replaces the processor in S5 with a newer 805. But they will never delay the launch by 2-3 months just because of a new processor.

BTW, many tablets like the latest Note/Tab Pro series runs on 800 (not 800ac) which are even higher resolution. So I am pretty this will be able to drive the resolution.

2. alfuen00 6 months ago said:

I really don’t care about s5 or any of the variants I’m done with regular phones my last was a s4, I’m only interested in note4 the last few years I moved from s2 to note to s3 to note2 to s4 to note3, I’m very happy with note3 and I’m very sure note4 will kill s5 in all aspects, as always happend s line for me is like a pre-release of the killer one called note so for me in the next years I will stick to note and wait the one year refresh line, I’m fact I will save a lot of cash not switching so early, or buying contract free phones, my 2 year contract ends this November just in time for note4 release. RIP for me Galaxy S line.

3. thunderboat 6 months ago said:

Samsung is so stupid again to equip their own Exynos processor in a lower specification model like they did with 3G Exynos v.s. 4G Snapdragon. What’s the point of developing in-house processor just to admit it is less capable than the other commodity processor? Mind you the cost of the Exynos is higher than Snapdragon. Who else besides Samsung will be interested to integrate Exynos in their mobile devices?

4. Keaganvdh 6 months ago said:

If these are the benchmark scores of the Samsung Galaxy S5 then I am very disappointed with Samsung. if they were releasing the next S series it should be better than any other Samsung phone out there, it should actually even be better than every phone out there. I mean the Samsung Galaxy S4 has a 1.6GHz + 1.2GHz octa core CPU and its the Exynos 5410 while the so called Samsung Galaxy S5 has a 1.5GHz octa core CPU, that’s going backwards. Only 2GB of RAM? that’s as much as the Samsung Galaxy S4. So that rounds it up. If this is the next S series then I am leaving Samsung and going for HTC.

5. sguyx 6 months ago said:

Was it really necessary to do these almost identical models but they still differ so much that getting updates takes years… And those would not been only variants of S5! There will again variants by variants and everybody waiting updates…

6. gtone339 6 months ago said:

Just wait for the actual benchmarks of the Galaxy S5 at launch guys! I rather not trust on this assumed prototype/test model just yet.