Samsung considering Android 4.4 KitKat for Galaxy S3 mini, Ace 3, Galaxy Core, and other low-cost devices

With Android 4.4 KitKat, Google is aiming to bring a better Android experience to the masses through features such as reduced memory consumption on low-memory (512MB) and low-cost devices, and that has had a lot of people hoping manufacturers will bring the new version of Android to some of their mid-range devices that may not otherwise be eligible for another update. Well, according to an image we received in our inbox, Samsung is thinking of doing just that, and is considering the update for some of its mid-range and low-end devices.

The list of devices is rather long, and includes the Galaxy S4 mini, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy S Advance, Galaxy Ace 3, Galaxy Core, Galaxy Fame, Galaxy Ace 2, and the Galaxy Fresh – there are likely more devices on the list, but these weren’t captured by the source of the picture. However, just because Samsung is considering the update doesn’t mean the updates will actually come – the Galaxy S4 mini is one device that is most likely to get the update, but for the other devices on that list, there might not be much hope, if only because Samsung’s heavy and bloated TouchWiz skin might negate the work Google has done on reducing the memory consumption on Android 4.4 KitKat.

But then again, we can always hope Samsung will be able to work some magic and update at least some of the devices on the list to Android 4.4 and breathe new life into them, in a nice gesture of support to consumers. Fingers crossed.

P.S: Note that devices that have been in the market for more than 18 months, and devices like the Galaxy Note and Galaxy S2 which have already received two major updates, won’t be getting Android 4.4, thanks to the 18-month support policy manufacturers follow.

4.4-mid-range-devices

Thanks Vaibhav!

Phones 91

khan50
11 months 17 days ago

Hello I’m Android 4.4 Samsung Galaxy Ace3GT-S7275R

jelly bean
6 months 1 hour ago

Where you got the update?is it official?

gronkyv
11 months 25 days ago

tengo samsung s3 mini quiero actualisacion de android 4.3 cuando sera eso

fahmi sahaka
1 year 1 month ago

i hope samsung galaxy ace 3 will be able to update to andorid kitkat 4.4

jelly bean
6 months 1 hour ago

Me too

yoriatet
1 year 3 months ago

How about samsung galaxy grand duos (I9082). it will update to firmware 4.4 also?
when we can update all device low-end to Kitkat?
please advice..

Cvekas
1 year 4 months ago

Samsung make update 4.4 kitkat for Galaxy Trend Plus S7580 ,DEC 2, 2013 released – only 5-6~ months old !! JB 4.2.2 have some glitches, HW+ doesnt work properly, videos when u using it – stuttering !! Common problem of this device !!

Azvi
1 year 6 months ago

I have just purchased a Galaxy Grand Quattro(GT-I8552). But its still running on 4.1.2, Please reply with the updated news as when to get the Update. Its a quad-core with 1gb ram…. hence it meets every requirement. So please inform…

xunxo
1 year 6 months ago

yo quiero android 4.4 kitkat en mi samsung galaxy core GT-I8260L ya que seguramente samsung va a actualizar el GT-I8262… :(

hakamelassouad
1 year 6 months ago

Any official update for Galaxy W?
thanks

LIKO15
1 year 6 months ago

when it will be clear which phones get an upgrade and which are not ?

bharat2013
1 year 6 months ago

please tell me approximate date for s advance KITKAT update

archies
1 year 7 months ago

Uploader plzz reply when s advance will get kitkat offcialy ?????

Goes Citoz
1 year 7 months ago

I have ace 2.
When is an update kitkat release for my device..?
thx.

ersinbull
1 year 7 months ago

Samsung,

God damn you!

You brought a second quality phone to Turkey.(Note3 N9000 iso N9005). Now, you upgrade N9005 to Android 4.4.2 Kit-kat, first. Do you think that we don’t pay any money for N9000? The price is the same, the service we get is much less.

So, god damn you!

Marios Ch
1 year 7 months ago

Can you please tell us the date of updating Samsung Galaxy Core to Android 4.4 kitkat?

vivek4svan
1 year 7 months ago

Hi All I am having Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos I9082. I just upgraded my OS from 4.2.2 to 4.4 (Kitkat) by CyanogenMod. Its running on 4.4 kernel and is low memory consuming. Battery backup is greatly improved and no lagging/hang. :D

archies
1 year 8 months ago

We all have kitkat in samsung galaxy S Advance I9070

zaim7667
1 year 8 months ago

How about Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Gt-i9082 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 . I want my device have android 4.4 KitKat .

Dexler
1 year 8 months ago

Well, and at last, those updates will be a dream for sure, thanks samsung for that, but at least, and the fact that will be and i get, is to use a custom rom. I know, no body will spect of that, but, being reallist, samsung will not give us those updates, so, my s3 mini already got kitkat, thanks to a custom rom. Thanks free developers, that make our dreams come true.

sinoname
1 year 8 months ago

P1000 please update to kitkat :D

srinivas039
1 year 8 months ago

I am eagerly waiting for official update of android 4.4 kitkat for my samsung galaxy grand duos GT-i9082.so I am requesting you guys the entire team of sammobile.com and also samsung developer team.so plz….plz…plzz….release update for my SAMSUNG GALAXY GRAND DUOS GT-i9082.i hope,i will get the updates of 4.4v.thanking u guys.

mortezasharifinia
1 year 8 months ago

I’m waiting to get my galaxy tab 7.7 Kit Kat (android 4.4) update.
I hope Samsung does that

;)

manish987
1 year 8 months ago

Will this update release for samsung galaxy s2 plus

Mettafox
1 year 8 months ago

The Galaxy S Advance have more than 18 months.
Was released at January 2012, January 2013 made one year (12 months), after 6 months (July), made 18 months. At moment, the device have 23 months.
So, if the update comes only in 2014, the device will have 2 years or more, if the update comes after January.

In this scenario, the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 can be upgraded as well. Because the Galaxy S2 has not been updated properly during the 18 months of support.
The S2 should have ended in Android 4.2.2 and not in 4.1.2.

nor30
1 year 8 months ago

Como quiero kitkat!! en s3 mini estoy probando de maclaw y va estupendo!!!! ojala nos den una actualizacion!!

pablom099
1 year 8 months ago

MUST give kitkat Samsung Galaxy S Samsung Advance. On the other hand, taking into account the errors produced by the OFFICIAL update jelly bean, affecting thousands of users rights, it is the DUTY of the responsible release an update with either kitkat or not, correcting errors and faults. It is not the duty of the user having to endure failures caused by official update. User is entitled to claim, when these things happen, the fulfillment of the duty of whoever has it released the update, which was officially we fail, to solve it after losing confidence that not happen again. And also because otherwise user rights would be prejudiced, as I try to redial. I think Samsung should take care of launching failures produced updated to correct errors, leaving helpless to trust when choosing a brand. NUCA but would have trusted with ANY cellular and sometimes that could be repeated. You, do not you think it is and should be so? Do not believe any official update should be responsible for errors or failures caused to users in any cell in question also have a year or more are purchased? Hopefully so be it. We want kitkat in S Advance and others.