Some Galaxy S9 displays suffer from black crush and color banding issues

Home / News / Some Galaxy S9 displays suffer from black crush and color banding issues

Samsung makes some of the best mobile displays in the world. The AMOLED panels on Samsung smartphones is one of the reasons why many users buy their products. However, Samsung mobile displays are not without their share of problems and complaints. Overly saturated colors are one of the most common complaints associated with Samsung’s AMOLED displays.

Old problems on new displays

Samsung has been continuously improving its AMOLED panels to stay ahead of the competition. In fact, the Infinity Display on the recently released Galaxy S9 and S9+ is rated as the best mobile display in the market. Unfortunately, even the best mobile display in the market seems to have some issues according to the complaints online from some Galaxy S9 users.

On various forums online, some Galaxy S9 owners are reporting color banding issues on their brand-new smartphones with dark/black images. Also termed as the black crush, the problem refers to a phenomenon where the screen has issues displaying shades of dark accurately, resulting in a grainy or a pixelated picture with blocks of black. The black crush effect should be apparent while watching dark images or videos as details are lost similar to a heavily compressed file.

This is not exactly a new problem as many users have complained about this on the previous generation devices as well. So, either it’s a difficult problem to solve for Samsung or the issue is limited to only a small section of faulty devices. Currently, it is not clear how widespread this issue is. Samsung has not commented on the issue so far, though we’ve asked for a statement from the company and will update this story as soon as we get one.

Have you faced a similar issue on your Galaxy S9 or S9+?

Via 1 Via 2 Via 3

Phones 31

intoman
4 days 14 hours ago
intoman
tfragkos
7 days 12 hours ago
tfragkos
To the people saying “this is normal for OLED’s”, no it simply isn’t. I’ve owned multiple OLED phones including Samsung’s and none had this problem. None. It’s so bad that practically makes videos unwatchable in low light. It is not something that you’d need to nitpick or try to look hard to notice it. It’s just there in your face clearly visible and makes the display look plain bad. We don’t know if ALL S9 plus users have this issue but based on the number of people reporting it, it seems quite widespread. Personally I’m on my 2nd replacement with… Read more »
quancayda
7 days 19 hours ago
quancayda
tekzonept
8 days 5 hours ago
tekzonept

I have black crush too (S9+). I have my doubts this can be fixed with an update (hope so). So far nothing has be done about call issues. Sometimes seems samsung don’t care about this things

edwardmcardle
8 days 12 hours ago
edwardmcardle

It is not “normal” as it does not exist on my s7 edge. I had black crush on my S9+, returned it and had the same issue on the replacement. Noticeable only when in darkened rooms. First spotted it during the avengers trailer 3. very obvious when lock/unlock phone via power key as the black pours in from the corners (again need to be in darkness). I returned it for a refund and am back to my s7 edge. very disappointed

RoadRunner99
8 days 15 hours ago
RoadRunner99

I’ve never had a Samsung device where this wasn’t present. It’s a limitation of their Amoled displays, same as the purple smearing, and it’s not device-specific.

Pulsedub
8 days 17 hours ago
Pulsedub

Yes I have black crush on my S9 plus also.

8 days 22 hours ago
swissman22

Yes I’m suffering this black screen crush on my s9+ I even exchanged it for a new s9+ but it’s the same thing again please help it gets really bad in the night even the official s9+ wallpaper has the black screen crush issue its more visible in the night?

Srmada
9 days 6 hours ago
Srmada

what about the call drops issue

ivnad95
9 days 8 hours ago
ivnad95

I hade a prblem with my s9+, burn in, the keybord was on the home wallpeper. I had to take it to service and they replace me with a new phone. This one its working fine

techiexp1969
8 days 8 hours ago
techiexp1969

You are a liar. Unless you had your phone on for 24hrs a day, 7 days a week for at least 6 months, it would be impossible to have display burn-in.

You are simply riding the hate bandwagon. Please go back under your rock you lying loser.

Even display phones at stores don;t have burn-in and they are on all day. You expect us to believe you have such on a not even month old phone?

Everyone isn’t as stupid as you.

edwardmcardle
8 days 8 hours ago
edwardmcardle

I had light burn in from locking on the navigation keys on my s9. It wasnt permanent and a few non static images made it disappear

militair007
9 days 8 hours ago
militair007

All s9+ user suffer from this black crush and specially when watching HDR shows .
this issues it’s more agressive with s9+ display specially in low light , impossible to watch shows in the dark and you can check (the man in high castle) on amazone video prime only the first 2 to 3 min to see what i’m talking about .

walkermoon
9 days 6 hours ago
walkermoon

My god. Just watched that episode and man!! It’s so bad. Does it come under a defect category?

militair007
8 days 8 hours ago
militair007

Don’t worry I checked 4 phones with the same issue

FXmAniac
9 days 9 hours ago
FXmAniac

I have the same problem on my Note8. Had it also on my S7Edge. It makes some of the GearVR content a pain to watch. Surprisingly my wife’s S6 line is totally free of this issue.

bicubic
9 days 9 hours ago
bicubic

I want sammobile notice problem with call droping with galaxy s9/s9+ posted in xda forums

ProdByEchelon
9 days 9 hours ago
ProdByEchelon

I had “black crush” on my Note5 but not I’m my current phone, the S7 edge.

locarno
9 days 9 hours ago
locarno

It is normal on Amoled disaply. Smudging. J5 2016 one of the phones that don’t have it.
I have it on S7 Edge, when viewing gray and black in low brigthness.

edwardmcardle
8 days 12 hours ago
edwardmcardle

my s7 edge does not have this issue at all. Both my s9+ and the replacement s9+ had it (now awaiting my refund). side by side the s7 edge screen was infinitely better with no banding whatsoever

bob1992
8 days 10 hours ago
bob1992

The s7 edge has the pink lines of death problem it’s worst

edwardmcardle
6 days 11 hours ago
edwardmcardle

True but this is an article/thread about black crush