The software support on Samsung’s Galaxy devices used to leave a lot to be desired. That has changed over the past couple of years. Samsung has worked diligently to increase both the pace and frequency with which it sends out updates.
It also took a major step last year by committing to three years of Android OS upgrades for its flagship and many premium mid-range devices. Samsung is now kicking things up a notch. The company announced today that Galaxy devices will now receive security updates for at least four years.
Samsung already provides three years of Android OS upgrades
The company previously used to support its devices for two years worth of Android OS upgrades with security updates being provided for three years. It’s now extending support for the security patches by an additional year.
This new policy isn’t just applicable to new devices. Samsung says that in addition to its latest products, eligible Galaxy devices released since 2019 will receive four years of security updates. This policy change applies to devices to both the monthly and quarterly security patch release schedule.
The eligible devices include handsets from the Galaxy Z, Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, Galaxy A, Galaxy M and Galaxy XCover series in addition to tablets from the Galaxy Tab lineup. All of these devices will receive regular security updates for a minimum of four years.
Here’s the full list of devices Samsung says are confirmed for four years of security updates:
- Galaxy Foldable devices: Fold, Fold 5G, Z Fold2, Z Fold2 5G, Z Flip, Z Flip 5G
- Galaxy S series: S10, S10+, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20+, S20+ 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21+ 5G, S21 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy Note series: Note10, Note10 5G, Note10+, Note10+ 5G, Note10 Lite, Note20, Note20 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy A series: A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G, A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G
- Galaxy M series: M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51
- Galaxy XCover series: XCover4s, XCover FieldPro, XCover Pro
- Galaxy Tab series: Tab Active Pro, Tab Active3, Tab A 8 (2019), Tab A with S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7, Tab S7+
Samsung has become quite proactive in sending out new security patches for its devices every month. In recent months, the company has been releasing these updates even before Google officially details what’s included in the Android OS patch.
By extending software support, it’s giving customers another incentive to hold on to its devices for longer. There are few Android OEMs that provide the level of software support that Samsung is doing now. Props to Samsung for leading the way on this.