Like compact phones? Don’t be afraid of the Galaxy S8

The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ have big screens, but the fact that neither is proportionately big in overall size has already been beaten to death. But while those used to phones with 5.5-inch and larger displays will not be too fazed by the 6.2-inch display on the Galaxy S8+, folks who prefer 5-inch screens will be rather intimidated by the standard S8′s 5.8-inch display. I’m not sure we drove this point home in our review, so I’ll say this now: If you’re afraid of large phones and prefer compact devices, don’t be afraid of the Galaxy S8.

If you have tried out the Galaxy S8 at a store (or are lucky enough to already have one in your hands), you’ll know what I’m talking about. The Galaxy S8′s display is larger by more than half an inch compared to the Galaxy S7, but you’d be hard-pressed to tell the difference when it comes to handling the phone. The S8 is slightly taller, and the display is tall enough to make reaching the top in single-handed usage impossible for many. The same goes for the fingerprint sensor, but otherwise, the S8 is as compact as phones can get with such gigantic displays.

The most notable element that helps make the phone ergonomic is the narrow design, so the overall experience handling the S8 will be very similar for those using a Galaxy S6, Galaxy S7, or any other 5-inch phone. Don’t worry; the display’s narrowness won’t ruin your experience in real-life usage, thanks to the new aspect ratio Samsung is using for the display. Not all apps support the new aspect ratio, but the company has thoughtfully built in a setting that allows you to force apps to take advantage of the entire screen.

What do you think? Did you order the standard Galaxy S8? If yes, was it the compact size that attracted you, or something else (like the lower price)?

Opinion 8

o0MHJ0o
2 months 2 days ago

I have to stretch a BIT to reach the fingerprint scanner on my S8+ no stretch at all on the S8. I absolutely love this device! It’s amazing. The only problem is in the dark. Because it’s so symmetrical. Takes me a few seconds to realise I’m trying to use the back of the phone! Lol (I don’t like the AOD)

aarozone
2 months 2 days ago

My S8 got delivered today. I must say it is well gorgeous! If you’re switching from the S6/S7 (which do seem wider and bigger than the S8) you won’t have a problem at all. I think there’s nothing wrong with the fingerprint sensor placement if you’re right handed. If you feel that it’s hard to reach then using both hands does help. And to be honest, with the iris scanner unlocking your phone in like half a second there isn’t a need to use the FS.

billywongwashere
2 months 2 days ago

Just got my s8 and I have to say it’s much easier to use than my s7.

Also the fps is no issue and I actually like it

kicin
2 months 2 days ago

S8+ je odličn telefon

jiyean
2 months 2 days ago

I remember trying out both S7 and S7 edge and finally getting the regular S7 because I had a hard time reaching the top part of the S7 edge. And the S8 is pretty much tall like the S7 edge. It’s so sad to see the S7 size go….

StefanC12
2 months 2 days ago

I mostly carry my phone in the pocket of my pants and I often use it with just one hand, so needless to say I went for the S8. The price difference is nice, but definitely wasn’t the main factor in deciding. The only thing that made me even consider the S8+ was the battery.

bonq07
2 months 2 days ago

“The S8 is slightly taller, and the display is tall enough to make reaching the top in single-handed usage impossible for many. The same goes for the fingerprint sensor, but otherwise, the S8 is as compact as phones can get with such gigantic displays.”

This. I call it fail.

j2001m
2 months 2 days ago

On the s8 it’s very easy to use the fingerprint sensor and it’s also easy to use it to make the top page to come down so you can see all things list and to make it go auto back up again, its way better fingerprint readers then my s7 edge

Summer Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €60 for €50! Summer Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €60 for €50! X