Unlocked Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus with US carrier support spotted at FCC

The hype surrounding Samsung’s upcoming flagship smartphone continues to increase with each passing day. We’re still being treated to rumors and reports about the new flagships even though the official launch is only a couple of weeks away. It goes without saying that the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus will be carried by all four major carriers in the United States and now it appears that the unlocked version of the new flagship will have support for all carriers as well.

Two FCC filings for the Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U) and the Galaxy S8 Plus (SM-G955U) have been spotted. The “U” in these model number denotes that these are factory unlocked versions of the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8 Plus. It’s clear that both will work on all major US carriers because the filing does reveal what band, mode and frequency they support. Both CDMA bands – 0 and 10 for Verizon and Sprint respectively – are supported aside from all GSM networks with LTE.

It’s possible that this year the factory unlocked version of Samsung’s flagship could arrive alongside the carrier locked version. Samsung didn’t release a factory unlocked version of the Galaxy S7 in the United States until June last year and I’m sure many customers would prefer if it didn’t make them wait that long with the Galaxy S8 as well.

galaxy-s8-unlocked

Via Source

Phones 10

6 months 13 days ago
phongnguyen40

Do not buy any Samsung unlock version . My s7 edge model g935u , no SECURITY update or nougat 7 UP to now and no support from Samsung either, be aware

6 months 14 days ago
jklnexus

DO NOT BUY!!! Samsung has yet to release the S7 930/935u nougat update and has said that they will only release quarterly security updates whereas the carrier branded ones release monthly security updates… Awful strategy to piss off the unlocked buyers. Considering the fact that those that buy unlocked are generally the nerdy type that advise their friends what phones to get. DO NOT buy this or any unlocked Samsung device.

JosSli49
6 months 14 days ago
JosSli49

I want to echo the sentiments of the other posters. Regardless of what Samsung’s intentions for not supporting the unlocked S7/S7 Edge the bottom line is that these phones are not supported by security updates, firmware updates and knowledgeable support (from either Best Buy, where I purchased the phone, or Samsung tech support).

Don’t be fooled like I was. Avoid the unlocked S8 phone like a plague. In fact avoid Samsung products whenever possible.

davebwi
6 months 14 days ago
davebwi

Yes, they are in for a BIG suprise…when you mislead purchasers of the S7. 930U..Your not going sell another one till Policy changes…If Best Buy is Smart ,they will pass on carrying the S8 unlocked
Thanks, Dave on my Unsecured ,outdated SM-930U….

6 months 14 days ago
Bone Datt

That’s that nerve. Samsung can’t update their current unlocked S7/S7 Edge on time, yet they have the audacity to consider releasing a follow up? Only an idiot will buy this particular version.

6 months 14 days ago
Kurtfrost12

Don’t buy this phone unless you don’t want security updates. I’m on the December patch on 6.0.1 on my unlocked s7.

6 months 14 days ago
Andreas Linn

Do not buy! Samsung doesn’t support unlocked devices in the USA. Your device will not get security updates or major OS updates.

robbuerkle
6 months 14 days ago
robbuerkle

This has to be a joke, right?!?!? I currently have a G935U (S7 Edge unlocked) that Samsung has already left in the dust! No Security patches since December of last year and no hope of Nougat the way it’s going! At least I hope they market it truthfully as ‘The World’s Most Expensive and Most Unsecure Flagship Paperweight’!

Enverdaz
6 months 14 days ago
Enverdaz

I am kind of surprised by this.
Why would they bother to release another U edition when they can’t maintain the S7’s 930U and 935U. Still on Marshmallow and still on the December 1st Security patch level.
Seriously, if they think they can pull the same scam twice, Ha! I laugh !

davebwi
6 months 14 days ago
davebwi

I Really think the People in Korea, dont even know there is an issue…I think their in a Bubble.

wpDiscuz