Cheetah Mobile launches ‘Made for Samsung’ version of its News Republic application
Chinese internet provider Cheetah Mobile has launched a ‘Made for Samsung’ version of its News Republic application on the Galaxy Apps Store. After installing the app, users are able to enjoy a flurry of features that are exclusive to Galaxy-branded devices, including text-to-speech translation, an Edge Panel briefing screen and a dedicated Gear S3 client.
The full list of new, exclusive features, together with a brief description of what they do, can be seen below:
- Text-to-speech: Article pages now have a speaker icon that users can tap to activate text-to-speech functionality. Playback controls will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Long-press for more info: Within a news article, Samsung users can now long-press on a topic to view Wikipedia information without leaving the article.
- Edge Panel news: Samsung Galaxy S7 edge owners can get the freshest news, simply by opening their Edge Panel app. A list of Breaking News will appear, and a single tap will open the article of interest.
- Gear S3 widget: News Republic is now compatible with the Gear S3. The new widget displays the Top Stories, and users can click to read the full articles, with the help of a circular scroll bar, directly from their smartwatch.
- Newsstand: Users can select individual news outlets to follow from within the app. News Republic’s learning algorithm will also recommend content providers directly in the article list page.
“We’re thrilled to work closely with Samsung to offer this latest version of the News Republic app,” said Charles Fan, CTO of Cheetah Mobile, in a post on the firm’s blog on Wednesday, January 18. “New features like text-to-speech, long-press for more info, and Gear S3 support, will make News Republic’s personalized AI-powered experience even better for Samsung users.”