The RAM management issue on the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge might be a ‘feature’

Home / News / The RAM management issue on the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge might be a ‘feature’

For years, Samsung’s smartphone software has been pretty laggy and slow, even on smartphones that cost an arm and a leg. With the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, Samsung finally got around to optimizing TouchWiz, its feature-packed custom Android UX. The S6 devices are fast and smooth, but as users have realized after a few weeks with either phone, the S6 and S6 edge suffer from an extreme case of background memory management.

Samsung has used some aggressive RAM management values on the latest iteration of TouchWiz, and this makes apps in the background close down within a few seconds after you switch to something else. In fact, Chrome doesn’t stay loaded in memory even if you open a single app and then switch back to Chrome. The poor multitasking experience has very little to do with the memory leak problem in Lollipop, which wreaks havoc in a different manner and basically makes a device slower after a few days of use, as the OS doesn’t efficiently clear memory when needed.

We have been waiting for an official fix for the RAM issue from Samsung, and our insiders believe the fix might be introduced with the Galaxy S6 edge Plus and then make its way to the regular and curvy S6. However, I’ve personally begun to think that the memory management on the Galaxy S6 might be deliberately set to be so extreme at killing background apps.

The reason? Probably the fact that Samsung might not have completed its work on optimizing TouchWiz to a level that would offer a good experience when there are a lot of apps open in the background. A few years of Samsung adding more and more bloat to its Android UX with each iteration without focusing on optimization at the same time means TouchWiz was in a pretty bad shape, and while the company started clearing up the core even before the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge with the Galaxy A and Galaxy E series, it was possibly not able to get to a hundred percent before the two flagships were launched.

Of course, I’m only making a guess here, but the thing about Samsung planning to introduce the Galaxy S6 edge Plus with a more standard RAM management system does somewhat hint that it will unleash a more optimized version of its software with the larger S6. Then, maybe an update will bring the new optimizations to the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, but with even the Android 5.1.1 update (for the T-Mobile variants) apparently lacking any solution to the problem, I’m beginning to lose hope.

What do you think? Could the memory issue on the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge be a deliberate thing, or do you think I’m just clutching at straws?

Opinion 48

ImABigBoy
ImABigBoy

It’s very interesting to see that even fanpages like Sammobile is beginning to criticise the lack of updates for Samsung devices. Samsung have for some time now sold less smartphones. Is this, when even fanboys have had enough, the beginning of the end for Samsung?

chi-hin
chi-hin
“In fact, Chrome doesn’t stay loaded in memory even if you open a single app and then switch back to Chrome.” Sorry but I disagree as I cannot replicate this issue. I’ve just opened 4 tabs on Chrome (Samsung, Apple, Yahoo and Amazon homepages). Then I opened WhatsApp, WeChat to send a couple of messages, read some news on BBC News app, and loaded a video on YouTube. Then I returned to Chrome and all 4 pages were still there without reload. I’m using S6 Duo from Hong Kong, also I have the ‘Merge tabs and apps’ turned off in… Read more »
che971
che971

5.1.1 in France for S6 is up !!!! Woulo !!!! I’m downloaded it…

veselinmarkovic
veselinmarkovic

I’ve completely given up on both Samsung and Android and switched to iPhone precisely because of things like this. I won’t pay a thousand euros for something that annoys me every time I touch it. You know what you can go and do Samsung/Google. Bye.

Nine54
Nine54

If aggressive memory management is closing apps, then what exactly is the recent apps menu doing? I always thought these “recent apps” were “tombstoned” apps that arent eating up CPU cycles but have data cached so they open faster when you switch back to them. If that’s not the case, then is it just a glorified favorites list?

I think the aggressive memory management is probably intended more for saving battery than preventing lag, or maybe it’s both. Keeping app data in memory takes a little bit of power.

andres ross
andres ross

I agree the best to me to….now that shutter speed and better ISO plus raw has been added hands down this S6 is the shit…once the Ram gets fix it’s on from here!!!!

gogolak
gogolak
So.. i ve always had like 81-85 used ram. So i got mad and did a little magic trick. I ve deactivated faceboom and facebook messenger. They were eating like 200+ mb ram together..now i always have @ 70% used ram… and the phone is running much better. Also.. chrome is eating lots and lots of ram… so i deactivated it and now i am using the samsung browser which seems to be smoother and faster. The ram management is pissing me off indeed. To agressive. But lets say it.. this is by far the best galaxy device!!! The design… Read more »
andres ross
andres ross

I just deleted dam near everything that has to do with Google besides YouTube and Google play Google maps and let me tell u my S6 is running a whole lot better wit less lag and responding real well…anymore suggestions that will improve the performance anyone?????

eHoolie
eHoolie

Well put Martin, you guys have a reader for life right here. Even if I jump off the Samsung ship. I thoroughly enjoy the articals here. I follow most of, if not all the bigger Android sites like Central and Authority, but I like the product that Samsung puts out for the most part so I come here most often. Keep up the good work.

eHoolie
eHoolie

It’s called an editorial piece people, and a good one at that. Pull your fanboy heads outta your asses. All news sites do it from time to time to give a personal take on things and how a subject touches one person. You can agree or disagree with the material written, but bashing the writer or the site is retarded to say the least.

Martin R.
Martin R.
I think you are the only one that understands it! Man seriously this isn’t news you know this is his opinion on something…. We write these things to stir up the pot and hope that readers will go into discussion. To flame the writer is just absurd! Just if you see it differently just comment your vision on things and we have a healthy discussion going on. Just what we want to achieve. And there is alot wrong with the S6 just like there are alot good things about it. We did point out the good things, now some negative… Read more »
7wajahat7
7wajahat7

Freezing touchwiz with titanium and using google launcher might help

madenx5
madenx5
Good article somehow i agree i have both the galaxy s6 edge and s6 64 gb version and both of them are excellent phones but they eat up ram very quickly that is for many users a big problem apps cloose to quickly i have already deactived many apps like whats app , messenger skype. all microsoft apps and others but the problem is still there it dos net disapair by it selv i think it isnt only samsungs problem you have google somehow messed it up i have also an xperia z3 before and it hade an excellent batterylife… Read more »
Jasi2169
Jasi2169
@Abhijeet M. or everybody i just wanted to let you know guys many guys do not know keep on blaming that i never faced any lag in my touchwiz ever i started with galaxy y,galaxy pocket,grand quattro,grand dues,and now s5 my touchwiz never lagged google+,google Play games,google play newstand,goolge play music,hangout, remove these extra google SHIT yes ITS BIG SHIT google doing keeps running and of no use i only keep maps,gmail,youtube,play store and plus google play services as it is required u do not need other apps by google Plus also remove extra stuff like samsung apps you dont… Read more »
TRusselo
TRusselo

Stop making up crap and reporting it as news. Especially this author.

Martin R.
Martin R.

Why is this crap? This is the opinion of this writer and if Samsung is bad Samsung is bad, when it is good it is good.
So if their is something bad to report we will report it. So simple it is….

rabbyy69
rabbyy69
Exactly. To be honest, once I was a Samsung fanboy because their devices were worth it. But now-a-days I’m very much disappointed of Sammy just because of it’s poor software management and I believe I’m not alone. So, if you keep posting this type of posts, may be Samsung will at least feel the necessity of hearing to their customers even more. Thus, my favourite sammy will become my favourite again. So, if you see the bigger picture, it’s always positive. Love you guys, especially hats off to Mr. Abhijeet. I love sammobile just because I feel it’s unbiased. We… Read more »
johnyjackson
johnyjackson
Maybe I am wrong and nobody will agree with me. But I like to say something about this site SAMMOBILE. I know this site is mainly for android update. Update firmware service is business concern of sammobile. However many people also come to this site to check exclusive news, not to update or recover os. Samsung insiders give something useful to this site. And some people liked this site because there was no bias no hatred no bashing like other western media and blogs. Tech giants have numerous fan sites. Sammobile is “oasis in desert” since there is no English… Read more »
kronicle
kronicle
I agree….. this writer is a total pessimist and appears to be more interested in being negative about Samsung than positive. It’s definitely not technically literate and doesn’t understand the first thing about Samsung Touchwiz or even what it really is. Touchwiz has been the only mobile Window Manager (desktop environment) with full desktop features, even when Android couldn’t handle all it’s problems. Touchwiz is now built on Enlightenment SDK like Tizen UX. This is why Samsung has so many more features than any of it’s competition on mobiles. All of them fake mulitasking like Apple, with suspending one app… Read more »
phate89
phate89

So they need to support Samsung no matter what? Even if they release a 700+$ phone with a huge bug and they don’t even fix it after 2 months?
In Italy we have a figure of speech that say: “the hope is the last thing to die”. But even if it’s the last it will die if you keep doing the same mistakes after you make empty promises.even fanboys will loose the hope at a certain point..

TRusselo
TRusselo

I agree with you

lightspeed11
lightspeed11

Samsung should have an official forums page where they explain what is happening to their users/customer’s and the things they are doing to rectify the problem’s that we are having. If they want to keep existing customers or get new ones in the future. I love Sammy’s phones but i hate being in the dark.

Tondern
Tondern
I’m a long follower of this site. I’ve respected Mr. Abhijeet for a long time and still do, but it’s sad to see him flail around in the matter over the past weeks as he gets his mood swings. It’s like reading pages of his diary, one day mad and slamming down his fists, then taking on a forgiving tone trying to explain why Sammy is doing this to his hard earned high-end phone. But yeah, I think that Samsung has largely opted out of the 5.0.x builds because they had their issues, just like they opted out of the… Read more »
phate89
phate89

Say that Samsung opted out from lollipop is simply false. As usual they’re still releasing the older version because they’re so late with some update they’re 1 generation behind. Even with KitKat out we’ve got a lot of 4.3 updates from Samsung.
The only thing they opted out is good software support…despite their recent promises (less phones,better support) they keep doing the same mistakes

TRusselo
TRusselo

Agreed.
Starting to sound like a whiney kid rather than a reporter.

shadad
shadad

agree with you

rabbyy69
2 years 4 months ago
rabbyy69
This post probably deserves the “Best Sammobile Headline Award 2015” from me! Anyway, I’m (proudly!) rocking CM12.1 on my Tab S 8.4 and I gotta say, boy, I’m lovin it! Flashed official Samsung 5.0.2 ROM via Odin a few days ago (as you probably know, good days are gone. Samsung takes ages to roll out an update via OTA now-a-days). Well, system apps eat more than 2GB ram alone and I could just open around 3 apps at once (better than S6, though). I like to believe that I’m using a device with 3GB RAM, not something like a 20$… Read more »
n900mixalot
2 years 4 months ago
n900mixalot

Deliberate, no. Not like excluding app pinning from anything running lollipop but the S6.

They obviously made a mistake and are going to require an upgrade for it to be fixed. As they usually do.

Samsung treats bug fixes like new features though, and that is definitely deliberate. But I don’t think they create the bugs on purpose.

amirsepehr
2 years 4 months ago
amirsepehr

Hello
Air view added on 5.1.1 or not?

n900mixalot
2 years 4 months ago
n900mixalot

Air View is still on Samsung phones. You can use Nova Launcher to be able to activate it. Samsung forgot to completely remove it.

amirsepehr
2 years 4 months ago
amirsepehr

tanks
i have galaxy s6
how to active air view in nova launcher ?

mbecles
2 years 4 months ago
mbecles

I hope thiss issue can be fix….its frustrating !!!

arhu74
2 years 4 months ago
arhu74

It’s definitely deliberate but not to speed up the UI, the UI smoothness is not dependent on RAM but what reason they could have I don’t know, unused RAM is useless RAM and I am pretty sure Samsung engineers know that. Although people who do not understand linux ram management always complain about the RAM being almost completely used as if it is a bad thing….

wpDiscuz