New Samsung design in the works, codenamed “Design 3.0”

Today, a very important meeting about Samsung’s new design strategy, codenamed “Design 3.0”, held at Samsung HQ in Seoul, Korea. The meeting consisted of high-level executives, including top managers Yoon Boo-keun and Shin Jong-kyun, reports The Korean Herald. The meeting was held mainly to discuss Samsung’s new design strategy for future products.

Firstly, let’s talk about the code name. I think every Samsung Mobile device, before the Galaxy S III, was Samsung Design 1.0 and after the Galaxy S III every device was Samsung Design 2.0, which was mostly inspired by Nature. Even Samsung’s latest flagship device, the Galaxy S4, comes under Samsung Design 2.0.

Since the original Galaxy S, launched in 2010, Samsung has been using plastic as it’s main build component for the Galaxy S line. We were hoping that Samsung may use high-quality materials with the Galaxy S4 but that didn’t happen, whereas all other smartphone manufactures are shipping devices which are made out of glass or aluminium, and we got a minor redesign over the Galaxy S III’s design. I know plastic is a durable material but let’s face it, a device made out of plastic with a hefty price tag doesn’t feel any premium at all.

“During the conference, new ideas on current design trend in the electronics market and strategies were exchanged,” Yoon said. “Everyone at the meeting agreed that consumers should be able to identify Samsung products easily.”

“Design 3.0,” Samsung Electronics’ new design strategy, focuses not only on external beauty and technical practicality of new products, but also about creating positive values and connecting with consumers, the company said.

This is a very good news for all us Samsung fans out there, as now we can finally hope for a better build quality and design by Samsung. The Galaxy Note III will not feature the new design but will feature a S4-like design instead, the new “Design 3.0” will make a debut in 2014.

Via: AndroidBeat Source: The Korea Herald

Phones 14

fawad.mz
fawad.mz

I really don’t know why Samsung do not invest in on design. Samsung’s durability and reliability is outstanding . from feature phone days After having several Samsung phones i have never faced any problem. Once i got an HTC phone just because of its designs but i missed my Samsung in first week.
Samsung PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ work on your design. you will be the best with a well designed software and hardware .

luka
luka

In this case if look the same of S4 i will wait the next Note 4..or i migrate for HTC T6 which be made like One just will be bigger with a beast processor…Snapdragon 800 2.3Ghz !

SimsP
SimsP
Polycarbonate doesn’t feel premium enough? Well I think this is something everybody has it’s own opinion. I for one would never buy an alu-phone reminding me of holding a heavy brick in my hand and blocking radio signals. And this will definitely be the case if Samsung desides to use alu bodies for smartphones with 5″+ screens. And glass, the other premium material … well tell me: how often have you seen a smartphone with a cracked glass back and how often with a cracked plastic back? How much premium does that look that? And yes it matters for me,… Read more »
Fuzzypaws
Fuzzypaws

I’d go with carbon fiber over aluminum. It looks better, it’s lighter, it’s more durable, and it won’t block radio signals like aluminum does. I’d also agree with the poster above about keeping the rounded corners.

I also hope they come up with a unified design language for Touchwiz. They have tons of features, but it looks like it was designed by 10 separate people without common thematics and mashed together without a sense of how it would look. Everything should share the same consistent design sensibilities, hopefully with an eye toward minimalism and class.

caglarfb
caglarfb

we just want flexible screen phone.
Design of all galaxy s and note series are failure..
true story

harryisme
harryisme

I’m guessing the meeting went something like this:

CEO: So Design 3.0, I’m thinking we need to use more plastic, you can’t go wring with plastic, it’s fantastic.
Everyone Else: Yup plastic is good.
CEO: OK well now that’s sorted on to more serious matters, where to order Lunch from.

vbx
vbx

I’m thinking a new product lineup. Such as plastic microwaves, plastic fridge, plastic stove, etc.

gtone339
gtone339

Should the design 3.0 build debut on the Galaxy Note 3? We have to find out later on the year. If not then the design could lead to Galaxy S4’s Successor!

vbx
vbx

It’s s not the plastic that is the issue. It’s the ugly soap bar design. I mean they took it too far this year. I won’t be surprised if Samsung actually sold soaps along with thei washers and dryer.

gtone339
gtone339

Sarcasm?

Rugratzz
Rugratzz

Poly carb, is a strong form of plastic, but so is carbon fiber, Although I doubt that people would call their carbon fiber car or the like plastic.

What about alloys, they are just metal, Um no they are not.

What ever Samsung decide lets just hope they dont go the way of the iPhone, or the HTC and seal everything. If I scuff my S4’s cover I can get a new one for a few $$’s, the Alternative is as many do, wrap your phone in a case/cover, so does it really matter.

RR

panagiotisgr
panagiotisgr

i hope the make a new UI. touchwiz is way too ugly

gtone339
gtone339

A new fresh touchwiz ui design maybe in the works but we haven’t heard anything from Samsung about it.

rgloor
rgloor

I just hope, they keep the large corner radius.
Because I tried several phones. The one with the smaller radius (sharper corners) feel much worse when put into the (front) pockets.

wpDiscuz