Galaxy S8 owners reporting frustrating camera focus bug

Home / News / Galaxy S8 owners reporting frustrating camera focus bug

A number of Galaxy S8 owners have taken to Samsung’s Community Forum to report a frustrating issue that’s preventing their handset from automatically focusing when taking pictures using the default Camera application and third-party offerings, like Snapchat.

With autofocus out of play, one would think that you’d be able to use manual focus—but you can’t. No matter what mode you’re shooting in, the device consistently churns out blurry images—and that isn’t what you’d expect from $700+ smartphone.

Here’s the good news: Samsung has issued a statement on the matter, outlining a few things you can do to rectify the bug (listed below). If they don’t work, however, you can send your unit in for repair under the terms of the firm’s one-year warranty.

• Ensure your handset’s operating system and all of your applications are up-to-date.
  • Gently tap the back of your unit to lodge any loose components back into place.
  • Clear all application caches and data.
  • Perform a full factory reset.

Hardware- or software-related?

We’ve contacted Samsung for some additional information and to ultimately find out whether the glitch is hardware- or software-related. We’ll update this post if/when we hear back. In the meantime, let us know whether you’re experiencing the issue.

Phones 20

JanJanssens
3 months 15 days ago
JanJanssens

I have the same problem, hardware related, but it’s getting worse over time (now I have to shake the phone almost every time before taking a picture. Totally unacceptable for a flagship phone, so my next one will NOT be Samsung anymore. One of the reasons I bought a S8+ was to use it for better pictures, not to make myself ridiculous in front of other people telling them to wait for a picture because it’s a S8+ you have to shake first, and then hope it will work for a while.

Samsung Clive
4 months 10 days ago
Samsung Clive

Shaking fixes it for me too. Very frustrating and only started happening around October / November 2017. Not what you would expect from a top of the range phone. As with most people, I use my S8+ as a camera more than a phone,.

salasjairo
5 months 14 days ago
salasjairo

Shake the phone solve the problem but I think they should correct the problem. erase the temporary and reset the cell phone does not solve the problem

Thepetitscarabee
5 months 25 days ago
Thepetitscarabee

Same issue here. You shake the phone and it focuses correctly which is totally unacceptable for a High standing smartphone. I send it back to the french retailler I bought it from and it came back with scratched…I’m now in litigation…I’m very upset about it.

mdenomme
5 months 24 days ago
mdenomme

I confirm, shake the phone is the solution. Not the right one, for sure, but that works again now.

salasjairo
5 months 14 days ago
salasjairo

I do the same to solve the problem but I think they should correct the problem. erase the temporary and reset the cell phone does not solve the problem

saddict_raaz
5 months 25 days ago
saddict_raaz

Same issue with me reported in member community forum but they replyed to clear cache data and factory reset . This issue is not permanent in my phone some time it works great and sometime didnt whether from third party camera app or manual mode it didnt work. Last options is to visit service center to change camera sensor, will do withing few days.
I actually upgraded from note4 to s8 but as per my usage and openion note4 is far better than s8 for me . Very disappointed with samsung.

micklord49
5 months 25 days ago
micklord49

I have the S8+ and this started happening on mine a couple of weeks ago – A quick tap usually fixes it.

5 months 25 days ago
mudassarfa

i am having s8+ and its perfect. the camera focus is fast and accurate. i guess some batch is defective but not all the models

RA88IT
5 months 25 days ago
RA88IT

I also had this happen on mine, it was sent away and repaired under warranty. Definitely was Not a software problem on my particular handset. I was not impressed, hopefully this doesn’t happen again outside of the warranty period.

bchliu
5 months 25 days ago
bchliu

This is NOT a software issue. Happened to my wife’s one and even reboot does not work to “fix” it. Tried to reset cache and data – still no good. The only thing that worked (as documented by hundreds of people) is to tap the camera module once quickly – or to shake it. Seems like the OIS may be the fault in this.

zakrzaczek
5 months 25 days ago
zakrzaczek

Hi everyone. I had the same frustrating problem with camera focus. I try some tips, but nothing works for me correct. I try one again after reading comments.
— TRY —
SETTINGS>APPS>SHOW SYSTEM APPS and RESET APP PREFERENCES.
After that i DELETE CACHE from Camera APP. SOLVED – so far :DDDD
Now i can see that when Camera APP starts, view is for some ms blurred and got focus. Now I understand why Samsung saysthat it is Software problem.

vskumar1972
5 months 25 days ago
vskumar1972

Yes I’m also facing the same issue. Paid ₹65000 for this so called flagship phone. But it doesn’t stand for that steep price. Even a 10k phone taking excellent photos and videos. I’m using s8+ 128gb version. I contacted service centre and the executive simply told it Will be like that only. Hee actually doesn’t know what is camera and what is photography. I completely wasted my hard earned money.

Abhijeet
5 months 25 days ago
Abhijeet

Wow, sounds like Samsung India’s customer care is being lazy again, we would suggest talking to them again.

o0MHJ0o
5 months 25 days ago
o0MHJ0o
Samsung were absolutely useless! I got this issue out of the box when I bought my handset back in March, on release! Their solution? FACTORY RESET! told them that didn’t work! Update phone, then FACTORY RESET! Didn’t work and sent in evidence. Told to send it in for repair. Constantly told them about the camera issue. They sent it back to me – FACTORY RESET again! With a letter stating they could find no issue with the device locking up or restarting. WTH!? I never said that was my issue. I specifically wrote down it was a camera issue! And… Read more »
hyenabg
5 months 26 days ago
hyenabg

Mine got the same issue, just tap the phone or restart the camera and it is fine.With the latest update it is less.

DROIDMAXX
5 months 26 days ago
DROIDMAXX

Samsung com as mesmas ladainhas de resetar o aparelho, faz aparelho descartável, tanto é que lança de ano em ano.

5 months 26 days ago
Grzegorz Dudziński

Ive got this same issue, for me is hardware problem, i had to hit gently and then its fine.. It doesnt matter what kind of system i used.

ssking
5 months 26 days ago
ssking

My gf has the same issue with her s8 since day 1. The seller on Samsung store told her to ‘shake’ the phone if the camera can’t focus.

5 months 26 days ago
Martin Eugeniev

Mine is perfect… though the something similar happend to my S6… But my S8 is okey! But it may be a software problem…