Home / News / [Poll Results!] How often do you check for software updates on your Samsung phone?

Samsung has received considerable criticism for being too slow in releasing software updates to its smartphones and tablets. The South Korean giant has improved quite a bit in the last year or so, and it has been releasing monthly security updates to most Galaxy devices for some time now. Samsung has improved a lot in terms of software design as well. Unlike other smartphone brands who just updated the underlying Android version, Samsung released a visual overhaul for the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge (and other existing devices) with the Nougat update, with plenty of additional features.

Software updates are a hotly debated topic when it comes to Samsung devices, and we have been wondering how often people check for software updates on their Samsung phone or tablet. Some of us here at SamMobile do it more often than we would care to admit, partly because we want updates like everyone else and because we’re in the business of writing about them. What about you? Cast your vote in the poll below to let us know, and get a discussion going in the comments section!

Poll Results: Most readers (28%) say that they check for software updates at least a couple of times a week, while 24% of voters do it more frequently: at least once a day. Around 13% voters check for updates a few times every day and 18% voters do it at least a couple of times a month.

Not everyone is so keen on checking for updates, though. 13% check for updates only when they read about them and 3% of voters don’t check for an update manually as they like to wait for updates to show up.

How often do you check for software updates on your Samsung phone?

• A couple of times a week (28%, 1,404 Votes)
  • At least once a day (24%, 1,184 Votes)
  • A couple of times each month (18%, 916 Votes)
  • A few times every day (13%, 660 Votes)
  • I check only when I read about new software updates (13%, 653 Votes)
  • Never, I wait for them to show up on their own (3%, 151 Votes)

Total Voters: 4,968

Loading ... Loading ...

Polls 52

amlboegis
3 months 18 days ago
amlboegis

I just wait until the update show up on their own

kiki722
3 months 19 days ago
kiki722

Galaxy Grand Prime SM.G530M, Please update android 6.0

yegs20
4 months 14 hours ago
yegs20

Galaxy C7 Nougat update???

cerioni fabio
4 months 7 days ago
cerioni fabio

Samsung oramai è in discesa..
fa acqua da tutte le parti…assistenza,aggiornamenti, software,hardware…prosotti difettosi,firmware con BUG…
da abbandonare

jorg3elu15
4 months 11 days ago
jorg3elu15

i do it everyday because samsung update all the samsung galaxy a5 2016 but the SM-A5100 still without get nougat

nor30
4 months 11 days ago
nor30

s6 claro Argentina sigue esperando android 7!!!!!

Leonitis
Leonitis

When I read about a new software update and I know that there is a update coming,I keep checking and waiting, so twice a week I check here on Sammobile for updates for my devices, best place for all Samsung related articles by the team…and you are right Samsung have improved a lot in the last year with updates,hope that they keep it up….

Jasi2169
Jasi2169

NEVER,unless i hear the OS is upgraded from xda then i install it,root my device, and uninstall all fota client that is Software update (2 software) apk from it and uninstall all the bloats added in new OS update and free again till new OS

thesloth3
thesloth3

UK mobile operators are pathetic when it comes to these updates. The “latest” S7 Edge update from Three (H3G) has only just been released and it brings the Android security patch level up to April 1st (and it took them four months). I would run stock (BTU) but unfortunately I need Wifi-calling which requires carrier firmware….

welshbloke
welshbloke

I’m on BTU and I have WiFi calling (on EE). I’m still on the April security patch though! 😉

Andrew Ho

What about Galaxy A8(2015) have android 7 update,
i see the samsung news said it will update galaxy a8 but not said(2015) or(2016)?
also hk tab s2 8.0 SM_T713 have not android 7 but many countries have update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Angry)

filipearques
filipearques

Note 4 is an “old” top device … And Samsung did not work on your update !? Well that Samsung could work this relationship better .. And take better care of old customers. Disappointed with so much indifference …. I Appeal to Samsung Have a Look at Note 4

superg05
3 months 17 days ago
superg05

the note 4 has had 3 major updates how many are you expecting?

filipearques
filipearques

iainclaire
iainclaire

Its a joke! My unlocked BTU S8 is on April security patch? Older cheaper devices on May! Whats that all about?

warlockba
warlockba

It’s called Samsung update policy 🙂

Titolone7319
Titolone7319

they do not care about crap like note4,…they want you to buy new hardware every year or at least every 2 years…!!!peace!!!LG G6 is awsome but the politics of Lg are’t dissimilar to those of Samsung

Titolone7319
Titolone7319

ma che vuol dire torrone? comunque a flashare una stock non ci vuole molto!!!

Titolone7319
Titolone7319

Since I flashed Nougat on my galaxy tab A 2016 I am no longer looking for updates, it’s now automatically settled to “check by yourself if updates are available”…!!!my fantastic LG G6 as well in automatic mode set!

Arman Ali

Samsung is saying since last year about noughat for Galaxy s6 .. I haven’t received yet on my global version F. Plz Sammy be more effecient interms of updates for flagship devices.

CarlSimon
CarlSimon

I check a lot when I’ve read a new Android version is released in my market (Europe). Otherwise once a month or so. Got Nougat to my Swedish S6 three weeks ago so now I don’t expect any more updates to that phone worth searching for. I’ll just because security updates which will show up automatically.

Troll Hammaren

I check them everyday, ’cause I hope for a performance fix! S6 with 7.0 is so laggy.

raymund0831
raymund0831

Me too, for my galaxy a5 2016. In some country there’s already an nougat update. But here in Philippines are not yet. So I also checking for update once a day. Or sometimes twice a day.

Titolone7319
Titolone7319

aren’t you able to flash nougat??? is easy,…look for tutorials….

yosephtangly
yosephtangly

I’m a bit disappointed since samsung only working on new device only. how about old user? I know that my device gonna get update but it so late since the same device in other country already got new firmware.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

they’re not, my S8+ is still on April where a lot of S6s are on May

Reshock
Reshock

I believe that it was November when Verizon started to send out monthly updates (3 to 5 weeks apart) for my Note 4. It was shortly after a Sam Mobile article that said no more updates for the Note 4… Now if it isn’t first, the update comes 1to 2 days after another Note 4 model gets it. I am very pleased and hope the Note 8 is fit to replace the function of a Note 4. I will not hold my breath though. 3 to 5 weeks behind Google but consistent.

shmily fisher
4 months 14 days ago
shmily fisher

I just love this vote, I wish it could make a change, keep it up…

David Gotelli
4 months 14 days ago
David Gotelli

I’m on an unlocked s7 in the US and got nougat on May 8th so not expecting anything til next year lol

blindmanpb
4 months 10 days ago
blindmanpb

May 1 2017 security patch just hit for the SM-G930U & SM-G935U. Looks like they were true to their word and updates for the unlocked devices will start rolling out more quickly!

jdrch
4 months 14 days ago
jdrch

I check for new builds every week, because that’s how often LineageOS for my S5 updates ;). Seriously, the best thing to do with a Samsung phone is to rip Samsung Experience off it and replace it with LOS. Samsung just needs to stop developing OSes. Period.

wpDiscuz