We Of SamMobile received the first firmware for the Galaxy S III based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.
This is the first firmware after many rumors about Jelly Bean for the Galaxy S III.
We already tweeted that Samsung is busy with this kind of update.
The update by KIES and OTA (over the air) will start at the end of this month begin next month.
Because there are many die-hard Samsung fans we want to give you the chance to test the first Jelly Bean rom by Samsung.
This is an PRE-RELEASE version so not official from KIES.
We want to give you a BIG warning when you want to test this firmware!
You will lose your warranty so please do not try this when you are not 100% sure!
The firmware: I9300XXDLG4 is based on Android 4.1.1
The build date is July 31 2012.
We have found a few visible changes.
– A new clock (in line with JB vanilla) in the notification bar.
– A function called “Dormant mode”
– Google Now is accessed by touching the Google Search widget
– A couple of new Live Wallpapers
– “Palm swipe” lets you take a screenshot
– Reboot into “safe mode” (maybe just in test release)
– There’s probably more new features that we haven’t discovered yet. Please share your findings!
We also had some troubles, for instance the internal SDCARD got formatted and some apps can’t be installed due to problems with smdl2tmp1.asec (which can’t be found at all). These problems could also be local to the specific device. A good suggestion is to make backup of everything prior flash
Inside the download package you only will see the PDA code.
We have no CSC or MODEM file of this firmware. So please make sure you know what you do! It is possible to flash this on a csc and modem from ICS.
You can find the firmware by OPEN Europe in the download section
We reported this firmware with WARNING code because this is a LEAK and not an OFFICIAL KIES release!
ADVICE of SamMobile is wait for 15 days to get the official updates by KIES or OTA!!!!
But for developers this might be the key for a full working rom they are developing.
– Make sure to have an ORIGINAL rom before attempting to flash. (could brick if not)
– Unzip the file
– Open Odin 1.85
– Restart phone in download mode (Home+power+vol down)
– Connect phone and wait until you get a yellow sign in Odin
– Add CODE_I9300XXDLG4_11164_REV00_eng_mid_noship.tar.md5 to PDA
– Make sure re-partition NOT ticked
– Start flash, sit back an wait a few minutes.
– Once the phone have booted, you’ll probably get into a boot loop.
– Remove the battery and put it back again.
– Boot into recovery mode (Home+power+vol up)
– Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA!)
– Reboot. and you are good to go! (hopefully)