Exclusive: Some more information about Samsung’s Gear A smartwatch variants and codenames

We’ve been waiting for the first circular smartwatch from Samsung for quite some time now. Codenamed ‘Project Orbis‘ internally, the Gear A smartwatch runs a version of Tizen platform, and is expected to be officially announced either during the company’s event on August 13, or during IFA 2015.

Now, we have received some more information about multiple variants of the Gear A. According to the information that we’ve received, the Gear A has at least three variants – SM-R720, SM-R730, and SM-R732 –, and all of them have the word ‘Orbis‘ in their internal codenames. The SM-R720 is internally known as the Orbis S1, the SM-R730 is called the Orbis S2, while the SM-R732 is internally known as the Orbis Classic.

It is possible that Samsung is trying to do what Apple did with the Apple Watch by launching multiple variants of its smartwatch. It might launch multiple variants of the Gear A with differences in connectivity options as well as style, and maybe build materials.

The South Korean electronics giant has already revealed some information regarding its upcoming Gear smartwatch including a rotating bezel for navigation and some launch partners who will have their apps ready before the announcement of the Gear A.  Not only did Samsung release the SDK to developers, it has also started testing mobile payments through its upcoming smartwatch.

As we reported earlier, the Gear A smartwatch is expected to feature a circular Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 360 x 360 pixels, an Exynos 3472 processor, 768MB RAM, 4GB of onboard storage, Bluetooth v4.1, Wi-Fi b/g/n, cellular connectivity (in some variants), NFC, a heart-rate sensor, and a 250 mAh battery. Do you think that Samsung can make a smartwatch that is better than Android Wear watches or the Apple Watch?

Watches 10

jaimitoso
9 months 15 days ago

I too like my gear S but if I change it’s going to be for an android wear. Tizen is way too limited on apps.
Also as many are talking about the supposed succes of the apple watch many web sites are reporting that they don’t meet the expected sales some even say it’s a flop.

fazdnoah
9 months 16 days ago

Will not get any samsung mobile product except for their smartphone. Samsung always came out with new product and ditch their older ones. Look at gear and gear 2. Gear S will be next.

kiaboi83
9 months 16 days ago

I love my Gear, S. Of course I would like it to have more apps, google pay features and wireless charging, but it def is packed with awesome features. I lost my phone and it really came in handy because it has its own SIM card; I had all my calls transferred to my watch. I don’t think any other watch does that. I think the new Orbis watch is going to be awesome since its going to have wireless charging and be used for merchant payments. I just hope it has more apps. I don’t think any other watch can compare to what Samsung offers. I will miss the extra battery pack though that I have with the Gear S. I have prepared myself for losing that awesome feature on the new Orbis watch.

fidocampeao
9 months 16 days ago

Don’t worry, samsung will make everything to guarantee that you think this is something, but will abandon it after a while and make sure, even though it could be something bigger, remains tiny. My last phone from samsung will be my current note edge. It has the potential to be one of the most spectacular smartphones ever, but samsung neglected it so much, that I still on kit kat. They don’t make new apps, didn’t tried to work with developers to make the edge more useful, they have forgotten about it’s existence. I feel used, feel like I bought a beta smartphone, anything new from samsung I think will be the same.

isroisro
9 months 16 days ago

I loved gow samsung tried to be the first at smart watches. Failed miserably. Then apple releases one. Massive succes. Samsung takes one launch out to copy Apple. I bet they dont even know why their failed they just cooy like headless chickens without understanding the design of their phones, interfaces and watches is dead ugly and the android skin is buggy and laggy. It s that simple.

jameszah
9 months 15 days ago

There are two reasons why apple sell ALL their products…
1) Support
2) Brainwashed Fans

Apple watch has nothing more than the Samsung Gear Smartwatches, Does not even come close. Look at the specs and compare. You have to be a blind apple follower to spend all that money for a shiny little box.

jameszah
9 months 16 days ago

Samsung have the best hardware in all of their devices including the Smart watches. I have Gear 2 and I luv it. No other smart watch comes even close. Water proof, camera for pics & video, long battery life, IR blaster, Heart rate sensor, fantastic seamless with s-health, blue tooth, voice calls with speaker hands free – voice sms – etc … but no further SUPPORT!!! Unless Samsung starts seriously supporting their products (and especially TIZEN against android wear – or some form of conversion software from Android to Tizen) Samsung will never compete with other brands. In my opinion Apple Watch has nothing more than Samsung Gear (much less in fact) and yet they sell more… why… surely not just design…SUPPORT!

manojmcn
9 months 16 days ago

Hope Samsung doesn’t dump the gear 2 & gear S designs. They have put in 2 years efforts and could improve upon them while introducing the new circular one too. They should learn from Apple on how to improve upon products rather than jump to too many new ones every now and then.

ProdByEchelon
9 months 16 days ago

Samsung has always had better Smartwatches than Android Wear ones.

n900mixalot
9 months 16 days ago

They already do make better watches than Android Wear or the Apple Watch but that’s not the problem. The problem is no one wants their watches and they are limited to Galaxy flagships.