Galaxy S5 update brings faster camera and improved fingerprint scanning

Samsung is currently rolling out the first software update for the month to the international variant of the Galaxy S5, starting in the UK. We took our Galaxy S5 for a spin after installing the update and found two very useful improvements. First, the camera is now noticeably faster to open, and so is the gallery app, which we found to be quite laggy in our review. Second, the update seems to have improved the accuracy of the fingerprint scanner – we already found it to be quite accurate even with one-hand usage, but this will hopefully improve the experience for those that the fingerprint sensor wasn’t working well for.

There also seem to be general performance improvements and better RAM management post update, though these are usually noticeable immediately after an update before going back to how they were. The update is currently available over Kies and is also rolling out over the air, though as usual, it could take a while before it shows up on your device. If you’re unwilling to wait, you can always download the firmware from our firmware section and update manually.

Firmware Details:

• • Model: SM-G900F
  • • Model name: GALAXY S5
  • • Country: United Kingdom
  • • Version: Android 4.4.2
  • • Changelist: 1539356
  • • Product Code: BTU
  • • PDA: G900FXXU1ANE2
  • • CSC: G900FOXA1ANE2
  • • MODEM: G900FXXU1ANE2
Firmware news 33

AndyMcD1892
1 month 8 days ago

I have tried repeatedly to install this Firmware. Have read countless tutorials on installation of Firmware, and followed meticulously, still no joy, ODIN fails instantly. Any help would great.

seer49
1 year 7 days ago

HI, My phone was imported from the UK so living in the Netherlands I’m using an O2 device running this firmware.
I have dutch simcard and everything works fine. However, when I go abroad (currently only been to Belgium) my phone can not register on any roaming network… I keep getting “not registered to network” when I try to make phone calls.
Funny thing is, when I turn roaming on for internet I DO get 3g / 4g internet, but still no phonecalls.

Is anyone else having this trouble? I’ve been googling for weeks now, checked my IMEI number, turned automatic network switching on/off but nothing has worked..

pablodelvallebanda
1 year 2 months ago

Hola a todos , ami me parece que va bastante genial en camara como en huellas , se aprecian las diferencias , lo que ha canbiado que no me gusta es en el icono de los cuadraditos ,antes ponia MENÚ y aora pone APLICACIONES , es lo que no me gusta , mi galaxy s5 es vodafone de españa , espero respuestas aver si esto solo me ha pasado a mí …

Matty9101
1 year 3 months ago

Can someone help me can i install this on my s5 its the SM-G900I (australia model)

erolsipar
1 year 3 months ago

This is the reason I’m waiting to get the Premium version of the Samsung S5.

Winchester019

What about SM G900H ?

Juppreet
1 year 3 months ago

Just received the update in India…Exynos version
S5 is now more responsive…:D
I think the fingerprint scanner also works better now.

elazraoui
1 year 3 months ago

it there’s a bug in scrolling settings !!

diegocapalbo
1 year 3 months ago

Can someome tell me if the camara and galery are faster and if fingerprint scanner works better than now?
Nobody really talks about the significant firmware fix issues.
Thanks

mrzemblanity
1 year 3 months ago

The most noticeable improvement is that now the camera doesn’t take too long to capture HDR images even in lowlight, unlike before. I think the fingerprint scanner also works better now.

diegocapalbo
1 year 3 months ago

thanks!! waiting for 900h exinos firm update!!

astuermer
1 year 3 months ago

Hi. Can someone please check if Picasa online albums are now shown correctly or still one big album with all pictures in it? Thx.

Asmith035

Will this work on sm-g900p

badrakh20

can’t use for the galaxy s5 SM-G900H/M. Only SM-G900F

fmontoya81
1 year 3 months ago

This also apply for the Galaxy S5 SM-G900M? Thanks :)

sp0r0s
1 year 3 months ago

what about knox counter? if i flash via odin do i lose warranty? also will it erase anything?

erolsipar
1 year 3 months ago

No flashing validated hashes won’t affect odin and won’t affect your warranty.

joel81
1 year 3 months ago

Can I use this firmware for the galaxy s5 SM-G900F in the galaxy s5 SM-900m the latín america version or that will damage my phone ?

vanillasky
1 year 3 months ago

If it’s Snapdragon – yes. If Exynos – no.

Juppreet
1 year 3 months ago

What about the update for Exynos version in India??

prodigy73
1 year 3 months ago

I had to disable fingerprint due to use of VPN… mandatory PIN or PASSCODE… is this fixed now?

vanillasky
1 year 3 months ago

Weather info on lockscreen still sucks. It’s not refreshing. You have to turn it off and on again to see updated info.

mandingo
1 year 3 months ago

What about lag on Settings, dialer, mesages, contacts with new UK firmware?

vanillasky
1 year 3 months ago

Lol, what lag? Why do people call an app opening a lag? Dialer is an aplication which gets killed after some time of being unused. Lag on settings? You mean this 0,0002 secs waiting for icons? There was no lag on messages since the beginning.

chris.nsele
1 year 3 months ago

Can I use this firmware for the galaxy s5 SM-G900F in the galaxy s5 SM-900H the Indian version or that will damage my phone ?

gyxter
1 year 3 months ago

Seriously dude?! Installing a snapdragon firmware to an exynos variant = death to your phone.

ohmeged
1 year 3 months ago

How about this firmware (SM-G900F) on the SM-G900I?
Its still snapdragon to snapdragon
thx

shamrock505
1 year 3 months ago

Try smart app lock-works for me

vanillasky
1 year 3 months ago

Works with fingerprint scanner?

vanillasky
1 year 3 months ago

Just upgraded. There are some news in private mode, it says that it can be applied to various apps such as gallery, files etc. \
BUT
Still can’t lock the app. Is it really so difficult to make this option available? I don’t want to use lastPass which really sucks (it works…sometimes) and I just want to lock the app, I don’t want to log out from the app everytime

And still:

Of course we can lock our files to private but if we did some picture with our camera and we have auto back up to cloud enabled we’re not secured. Doesn’t matter if private mode is enabled or not, the other person has still an acces to our cloud which is little bit weird. If I make a picture and want to keep it private it shouldn’t be available in the cloud (which usually has password remembered). It’s a detail but I someone will be a little bit smart he will see our private mode secured files in our cloud.

gtone339
1 year 3 months ago

Is the’My Magazine’ widget/app more snappier?

vanillasky

I don’t know m8, not using it

gtone339
1 year 3 months ago

That’s great news for the smartphone reviewers then!!

Samsung just optimized the finger scanner & the ram usage.

What about the ‘My Magazine’ window/widget? Is it slightly quicker than the previous update as well? Other apps too?

Just let me know here, thank you.