Rumor: Galaxy S III and Note II to receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat by March end

The Galaxy Note 3 has started receiving the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update while we’ve seen a couple of leaked firmware for the Galaxy S4, and that has naturally made owners of the company’s 2012 flagships wonder when it will be their turn to hop on to the latest version of the OS. A rumor late last year suggested that the Galaxy S III and Note II would be updated to Android 4.4.2 before April this year, and now, according to insider info received by Android Geeks, both device should begin receiving the update by the end of March.

Now, many will probably just shake their heads at that, but unlike the Android 4.3 update, which took months to arrive on the S III and Note II, the KitKat update does have a high chance of making its way to users by March. Both variants of the Galaxy Note 3 were updated to KitKat in record time (if only because KitKat isn’t exactly a major update), and while the update’s only just out in a couple of countries at the moment, Samsung should be able to kick off the rollout for the S III and Note II rather quickly as well. At least, that’s what we hope, but we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Firmware news 87

terrandroid
1 year 3 months ago

WE WANT KITKAT!

amithsna
1 year 4 months ago

Will Samsung GT-I9300(India) get a 4.4.2 update?? or is it still just a rumour?

ameer8124
1 year 5 months ago

i am waiting for the 4.4 firmware fo s3 without any issue. because 4.3 stucks for me gitting hang…still waiting for update…

the1asem
1 year 5 months ago

It’s funny because I just received the 4.3 update TODAY ☺

manthan2611
1 year 5 months ago

GT N7100 IS REDY\

cnrp7777
1 year 6 months ago

I hope my note 2 will receive android 4.4.2 soon because nothing change on my device after I updated android 4.3 on it. Android 4.4 will be better than 4.3.

cocolopez
1 year 5 months ago

You need to try the leak rom in xda….4.4.2 its working great….;)

dellamr
1 year 6 months ago

cant wait for kitkat in my s3

waywardyouth
1 year 6 months ago

NOTE: Samsung is the poorest company in this GALAXY :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

waywardyouth
1 year 6 months ago

I think Samsung has a USB flash memory with Android 4.3 update in it. And one guy from Samsung is travelling from one country to another country to distribute the update file. That’s why every week they release one country. HAHAHAHAHA :) :) :). YOU ARE REALLY POOR COMPANY.

cakirbay21
1 year 6 months ago

pöhh not2 4.3 almamamış Türkiyede 44 ne zaman gelir bilinmez samsung çok yavaş Türkiye yavaş yavaş vazgeçiyor artık

tsabrak
1 year 7 months ago

Now Samsung is going one step further. This days people want newest hardware and newest software. Sgs2, sgs3, note, note2 still have good spec’s. Tell me which company you will choose? One who after they release their product they discontinue any software update or give you one update. Or second company who after releasing their product supports it for at least next three years. Answer is simple. I hope this is new Samsung’s strategy. This could even affect nexus sales.

sandorag

Agree with you…..

Targonis
1 year 7 months ago

For those who missed it, the 4.3 update for the S3 increases the memory footprint to .095GB or above. For those with a 1GB version of the S3, this caused all those horrible problems with the original 4.3 release.

Now, for those with devices that have less than 1.5GB of RAM then, you HAVE to expect that Samsung learned from its mistakes, and wouldn’t release the update to yet more devices until the memory footprint can be reduced. This is where the 4.4 update comes in, which Google intended to work on devices with as little as 512MB of RAM. Now, TouchWiz DOES increase the memory footprint by a fair amount, so that will help, but Samsung may want to get the RAM usage of TouchWiz down a bit before releasing to older devices. I’d look at what you have in your device, and then figure that if you have less than 1.5GB of RAM, you just won’t see 4.3, though 4.4 may be released for it.

If a device was released before 2012, you should also expect that you won’t see updates, though Samsung might surprise everyone. It is the nature of the entire technology sector that older devices won’t get updates that newer devices do, and the newest devices, followed by the older but still popular devices will also see updates. This is VERY normal, and even Apple has drawn a cut-off for what devices get updates based on how much RAM and other specs the older devices have. If a device doesn’t have the RAM, or processing/GPU power to handle the updates of the new OS version, then that device will probably not get updated.

YossK
1 year 7 months ago

You’re right. If only people knew a few things before yelling in here :D I’d love to see them work hard on updates for ALL counties and realize how long it could take hahah ! I have the S III (GT-I9300) which has 1 GB of RAM, and I just got the 4.3 update (Jan. 2014 thanks to the KIES, not regular OTA) and I was seriously hoping that it would increase my device fluidity. It did a little bit, but I was surprised to see that my phone still takes 3-5 seconds to open regular applications like sms, contacts or call logs. It’s kinda sad when you compare it to an iPhone 5 for example (which has even less RAM) that thing is incredibly fast and fluid ! I hope Samsung did indeed learn from their mistakes, which makes me patient while waiting for 4.4.x KitKat. Let’s just keep hope and faith in Samsung, I’m sure they can make something satisfying for their customers.
Oh and btw, +1 ;)

pbm5362

ikhyquartzz23
1 year 7 months ago

How about S3 mini (GT-I8190) ??
Would it receive kitkat firmware update ??

trolloface

Hope samsung will update kernel and apps on note 2

fzrysr

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I have galaxy s3 and I installed android 4.3. After I installed android 4.3 I can not instagram internet and gmail. I deleted when programs (instagram,gmail) running but it doesn’t work again :’( I m now so upset

salamamohamed
1 year 7 months ago

I don’t believe this words..
I think we will get this update befor april..
My s3 still in 4.1.2 in egypt.. I didn’t received new update..tooooo late

sguyx
1 year 7 months ago

Have you already sold enough 10.1 2014 model to update our 10.1 2012 finally? We have still 4.1.2 – wake up samsung!!

androidscualdroid
1 year 7 months ago

actualizen el s3 mini i8190L ese nunca lo an actualizada actualizenlo a 4.2.2 o 4.3 o de preferencia 4.4 pero ya actualizenlo…….

atermon

ant+
ant+
ant+
c’mon Sammy, rise to your potential.

jameszah
1 year 7 months ago

That is excellent news for my Note II, but what about my Note 10.1 (2012), will we ever receive this update????!!!!! such a superb tablet/note without updates for all this time. Please update especially for multi user support (and maybe overclock to 1.6 like Note 2)

gewsan
1 year 7 months ago

Kit kat on devices that are not the Galaxy Note 3 and s4, only if you rub the Nestle chocolate on top of the screen. More respect, Samsung.

sharique786
1 year 7 months ago

Samsung suck…apple is much better than Samsung. …now I will never buy Samsung. ….

sharique786
1 year 7 months ago

In our dreams we will get update in march end. Till now we didn’t get android 4.3 and they are saying we will get android 4.4 update. They are ass hole we wont get it.

iitzjohnny92
1 year 7 months ago

I don’t know why you are all complaining about a simple update. My note 2 was updated to 4.3 in december here in the United States. Samsung confirmed that android 4.4 will be released on the end of Jan or beginning of Feb for the Galaxy S4, Galaxy Mega users. For the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 android 4.4 will be released in the end of March or the beginning of April. If your device isn’t updated yet to 4.3, don’t worry about it. If you really want 4.3 on your device DOWNLOAD SAMSUNG KIES!

darthduwan
1 year 7 months ago

if this is true them we’ll receive it by may or june, by then there could be android 6 hehehe

ashifpm
1 year 7 months ago

Where is 4.3 for S3 Saudia arabiya…. Eagerly waiting. Sammobile first rollout 4.3 in all countries then talk about 4.4. Now shut up.