Posted by Abhijeet M. 8 months ago

Rumor: Galaxy S III and Note II to receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat by March end

KitKat_Android_google_2120x1192

The Galaxy Note 3 has started receiving the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update while we’ve seen a couple of leaked firmware for the Galaxy S4, and that has naturally made owners of the company’s 2012 flagships wonder when it will be their turn to hop on to the latest version of the OS. A rumor late last year suggested that the Galaxy S III and Note II would be updated to Android 4.4.2 before April this year, and now, according to insider info received by Android Geeks, both device should begin receiving the update by the end of March.

Now, many will probably just shake their heads at that, but unlike the Android 4.3 update, which took months to arrive on the S III and Note II, the KitKat update does have a high chance of making its way to users by March. Both variants of the Galaxy Note 3 were updated to KitKat in record time (if only because KitKat isn’t exactly a major update), and while the update’s only just out in a couple of countries at the moment, Samsung should be able to kick off the rollout for the S III and Note II rather quickly as well. At least, that’s what we hope, but we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

94 comments on “Rumor: Galaxy S III and Note II to receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat by March end

1. chrillepill 8 months ago said:

Yeah, let’s see what happens. Seem to be stuck to 4.1.2 on my note 10.1 lte (n8020) forever…

2. zafarsajal 8 months ago said:

Samsung please add knox feature to galaxy s3 i9300

• Dragoncius 8 months ago said:

Really? Why would anyone want that crap on your phone?

• akmes 8 months ago said:

Why not? Secure sandbox is a good idea. Despite of unresetable counters and locks.

• darkshiner 8 months ago said:

Consider the following:
        You have a your private Note2 and want to setup exchange account to check company mail and stuff.
        Since the email app does have administrative privileges it will probably as you to increase security policy in your system to enterprise level (most companies will require).
        What that means to you is that:
        your phone will be locked by password (forget face unlock, symbol or even pin)
        your phone might be whipped out by your company administrator for security reasons

Here comes the KNOX. I find this as a PERFECT solution to mentioned problems.
        I do have my private area (default android apps settings and security policies) plus a business area embedded in my phone thanks to KNOX.
        This area is password protected while my phone can be symbol-protected :)

• broekhuijsen 8 months ago said:

My phone got the Nox thing with the latest update to 4.3, but my phone is an S3 LTE i9305

I assumed that the S3 also got the software. I however have no use for it.

3. wlting 8 months ago said:

i dont care which country release first, i’ll update it at first time when official 4.4.2 release for my s3

but pld uncle tera….

4. q8peace 8 months ago said:

cant wait for kitkat in my s3

5. Droid69 8 months ago said:

And when commes the update of android 4.2.2 to the galaxy SII???

6. Steef 8 months ago said:

That would be a good move from Samsung. Hopefully they don’t forget the devices with similar hardware like the Note 10.1/8.0 and the Galaxy Camera/NX.

7. NationGuettaTR 8 months ago said:

I9300 will get it on 2015 January if Samsung did it again. Whatever, i don’t believe they get it before april.

• darkshiner 8 months ago said:

neither do I.
      it will be postponed over and over again, else i’d call this a miracle if they could make it before spring

• q8peace 8 months ago said:

samsung said they releasing 4.4 kitkat in January for both s4 and note 3 and they also say they will release for s3 and note 2 kitkat in march and april just wait – sad to say its going to be the end of s3 and note 2 update we will be like s2 people :( but i will buy s5 loool

8. waywardyouth 8 months ago said:

I DON’T BELIEVE !!! SAMSUNG DEV TEAM !!! THESE FUCKIN’ ASSHOLES STILL SUFFERING WITH ANDROID 4.3 UPDATE. IN TURKEY WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR THAT. THESE FARTKNOCKERS ARE UNABLE TO FIX THE ISSUES AND RELEASE THE UPDATE.

THE ANDROID 4.4.2 KITKAT UPDATE MOST PROBABLY WILL BE RELEASED ON 2015.

SO DON’T BELIEVE SAMSUNG. THEY ARE LIARS AND CHEATING MILLIONS OF SAMSUNG USERS.

AND THESE UPDATES WITH FULL OF NOTHING. JUST A FEW NEW FEATURES AND NOTHING MORE.

• Dragoncius 8 months ago said:

You are such an idiot.

• waywardyouth 8 months ago said:

I THINK YOU’RE FROM ONE OF THOSE ASSHOLES FROM SAMSUNG DEV TEAM. :)

• KawaDrifter 8 months ago said:

Your phrasing suggests to an IQ of a fire hydrant.

• matrix-s3 8 months ago said:

I think it’s pointless to be angry at Samsung and swear at them. Updating, 4.3 came yesterday to your country. Try again if it does not you have already received. Having too high expectations with the new updates, it is not good and not possible, then the hardware is often not the necessary support. I also have the S3, and have got JB 4.3, and is not particular surprised what’s packed into the latest software on the basis described above.

• waywardyouth 8 months ago said:

Thank you for the information but I have Note 2. And the update is not released for Note 2 in Turkey. The release was for S3. But thank you anyway.

9. kbtch 8 months ago said:
  10. MReede 8 months ago said:

Lol, I still have 4.1.2 on my Note2, you must be kidding me!

11. androidloverbe 8 months ago said:

First Galaxy S4 LTE Samsung we paid more thren those oldies

12. Serilthas 8 months ago said:

Good news. For example I would like to have S Translator and Story Album applications on my Note II. Another nice addition could be the new camera modes.

13. stoolzo 8 months ago said:

yeah well great, cheers, us 10.1 note owners and still on the 4.1.2 shit pile :)

14. pbm5362 8 months ago said:

This is great news! Too bad it wont be out ’til about June or July here in the U.S. because the carriers will wanna add their bloatware and do their “extensive testing.” By then I’ll have an S5!

15. taher.rlhuni 8 months ago said:

What about GT-I9500

16. mdmohinpasha 8 months ago said:

Boss, first roll out the 4.3 update in all countries and talk about 4.4.2 later…… Still 129 countries to be updated to 4.3… Hey Samsung, speak less and do more

• Franz54 8 months ago said:

That is well said! ! !

• pranjal091994 8 months ago said:

I like your comment..haven’t received the update yet either

• Targonis 8 months ago said:

You DO realize that work on the updates is done in parallel, right? The work on 4.4.x is being done independent of the 4.3 work for other devices. That is why 4.2 was skipped for the S3, because they looked at how long it would take to release 4.2.2 and how long it would take to release 4.3, then decided to just skip 4.2. Now, the big problem that hit some people with 4.3 is that SOME versions of the Galaxy S3 only came with 1GB of RAM. My own S3 runs at 0.95GB of RAM most of the time, going to 1.25GB of RAM used often. This is why 4.3 brought many versions of the S3 to a crawl.

Now, 4.4 is SUPPOSED to reduce memory usage, so SHOULD be better.

17. pranjal091994 8 months ago said:

Lol talking about the android 4.4 and here in UK they haven’t even released the 4.3 update yet..

18. braulioholtz 8 months ago said:

And the I9500? When?

19. nicugoalkeper 8 months ago said:

Another joke nice.

20. AdL2012 8 months ago said:

i dont think so this will happen on the end of March….

4.3 took too long

21. Foxipol 8 months ago said:

Jelly Bean 4.3 is still unavailable in many countries. I don’t think Kit Kat will be available so quickly, but it would be great if it did…

• Manofvalour28 8 months ago said:

Exactly…I’m in the caribbean and I’ve yet to see an update for any of the sister caribbean islands as well.

There was one that showed up for my country last week, however I think that was an error (looking at the file name etc), what’s up with that Sam Mobile?

22. Abu Ayman 8 months ago said:

I don’t get 4.3 update yet :(

23. hunggalaxy 8 months ago said:

Tôi sống ở Đài loan galaxy s3 của tôi vẫn là phiên bản 4.1.2 đã được lên 4.3 đâu, Samsung hãy lo hết cho những người chưa được cập nhập 4.3 đi đã rồi hãy nói tới 4.4.2,đúng là samsung luôn phô chương quá mức

24. nisarfarsana 8 months ago said:

still there is no 4.3 update for S3 in UAE

25. allcilagdo 8 months ago said:

They didn’t say which year most be 2015 end of the march

26. eng_samy 8 months ago said:

Fuck you Samsung…we didn’t even receive 4.3 on Note 2 in Saudi Arabia & Egypt & Israel…

Fuck you Samsung

27. sajad68m 8 months ago said:

Hello, my HP nbashi tired I have a phone that Odin 2 update and got skipped goshim series please do not have this problem before I get in the meantime I’m from Iran, thanks

28. ashifpm 8 months ago said:

Where is 4.3 for S3 Saudia arabiya…. Eagerly waiting. Sammobile first rollout 4.3 in all countries then talk about 4.4. Now shut up.

• Abhijeet M. 8 months ago said:

Uh, do you realize we’re NOT officially related to Samsung and are simply a fan/news/reviews site? Take your complaints to Samsung, not to us please, thanks.

• ashifpm 8 months ago said:

Then please give us samsung official complaint register link. Thanks. Cuz service center executives don’t know anything about 4.3

29. darthduwan 8 months ago said:

if this is true them we’ll receive it by may or june, by then there could be android 6 hehehe

30. iitzjohnny92 8 months ago said:

I don’t know why you are all complaining about a simple update. My note 2 was updated to 4.3 in december here in the United States. Samsung confirmed that android 4.4 will be released on the end of Jan or beginning of Feb for the Galaxy S4, Galaxy Mega users. For the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 android 4.4 will be released in the end of March or the beginning of April. If your device isn’t updated yet to 4.3, don’t worry about it. If you really want 4.3 on your device DOWNLOAD SAMSUNG KIES!

31. sharique786 8 months ago said:

In our dreams we will get update in march end. Till now we didn’t get android 4.3 and they are saying we will get android 4.4 update. They are ass hole we wont get it.

32. sharique786 8 months ago said:

Samsung suck…apple is much better than Samsung. …now I will never buy Samsung. ….

33. gewsan 8 months ago said:

Kit kat on devices that are not the Galaxy Note 3 and s4, only if you rub the Nestle chocolate on top of the screen. More respect, Samsung.

34. jameszah 8 months ago said:

That is excellent news for my Note II, but what about my Note 10.1 (2012), will we ever receive this update????!!!!! such a superb tablet/note without updates for all this time. Please update especially for multi user support (and maybe overclock to 1.6 like Note 2)

35. atermon 8 months ago said:

ant+
    ant+
    ant+
    c’mon Sammy, rise to your potential.

36. androidscualdroid 8 months ago said:

actualizen el s3 mini i8190L ese nunca lo an actualizada actualizenlo a 4.2.2 o 4.3 o de preferencia 4.4 pero ya actualizenlo…….

37. sguyx 8 months ago said:

Have you already sold enough 10.1 2014 model to update our 10.1 2012 finally? We have still 4.1.2 – wake up samsung!!

38. salamamohamed 8 months ago said:

I don’t believe this words..
    I think we will get this update befor april..
    My s3 still in 4.1.2 in egypt.. I didn’t received new update..tooooo late

39. fzrysr 8 months ago said:

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I have galaxy s3 and I installed android 4.3. After I installed android 4.3 I can not instagram internet and gmail. I deleted when programs (instagram,gmail) running but it doesn’t work again :’( I m now so upset

40. trolloface 8 months ago said:

Hope samsung will update kernel and apps on note 2

41. ikhyquartzz23 8 months ago said:

How about S3 mini (GT-I8190) ??
    Would it receive kitkat firmware update ??

42. Targonis 8 months ago said:

For those who missed it, the 4.3 update for the S3 increases the memory footprint to .095GB or above. For those with a 1GB version of the S3, this caused all those horrible problems with the original 4.3 release.

Now, for those with devices that have less than 1.5GB of RAM then, you HAVE to expect that Samsung learned from its mistakes, and wouldn’t release the update to yet more devices until the memory footprint can be reduced. This is where the 4.4 update comes in, which Google intended to work on devices with as little as 512MB of RAM. Now, TouchWiz DOES increase the memory footprint by a fair amount, so that will help, but Samsung may want to get the RAM usage of TouchWiz down a bit before releasing to older devices. I’d look at what you have in your device, and then figure that if you have less than 1.5GB of RAM, you just won’t see 4.3, though 4.4 may be released for it.

If a device was released before 2012, you should also expect that you won’t see updates, though Samsung might surprise everyone. It is the nature of the entire technology sector that older devices won’t get updates that newer devices do, and the newest devices, followed by the older but still popular devices will also see updates. This is VERY normal, and even Apple has drawn a cut-off for what devices get updates based on how much RAM and other specs the older devices have. If a device doesn’t have the RAM, or processing/GPU power to handle the updates of the new OS version, then that device will probably not get updated.

• pbm5362 8 months ago said:
    • YossK 8 months ago said:

You’re right. If only people knew a few things before yelling in here :D I’d love to see them work hard on updates for ALL counties and realize how long it could take hahah ! I have the S III (GT-I9300) which has 1 GB of RAM, and I just got the 4.3 update (Jan. 2014 thanks to the KIES, not regular OTA) and I was seriously hoping that it would increase my device fluidity. It did a little bit, but I was surprised to see that my phone still takes 3-5 seconds to open regular applications like sms, contacts or call logs. It’s kinda sad when you compare it to an iPhone 5 for example (which has even less RAM) that thing is incredibly fast and fluid ! I hope Samsung did indeed learn from their mistakes, which makes me patient while waiting for 4.4.x KitKat. Let’s just keep hope and faith in Samsung, I’m sure they can make something satisfying for their customers.
      Oh and btw, +1 ;)

43. waywardyouth 8 months ago said:

WHERE IS THE NOTE 2 ANDROID 4.3 UPDATE FOR TURKEY YOU ASSHOLES ??????? IT STARTED NOVEMBER 19 TH AND NOW THE CALENDAR SHOWS JANUARY 28. !!!!!! YOU ARE A BUNCH OF ASSHOLES YOU IDIOT SAMSUNG SOFTWARE ENGINEERS. YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT S3′s 1 GB OF RAM. NOTE 2 HAS 2 GIGS OF RAM SO WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT YOU MOTHERFUCKERS? WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING THERE STILL? STOP SCRATCHING YOUR BALLS AND RELEASE THE UPDATE FOR TURKEY YOU GOD DAMN STUPIDS. AND NOW YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ANDROID KITKAT. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…… DON’T MAKE US LAUGH. TRY TO REELEASE ANDROID 4.3 FIRST. YOU UNALPHABETIC IDIOTS………..

• pbm5362 8 months ago said:

Is there a reason to go off like this? It will not get the update out any faster. I don’t know if your specific device is carrier branded but people forget to realize that it’s the wireless carriers that are usually the culprits of updates being delayed. They add their bloatware and do their supposed extensive testing and that’s why sometimes updates are slow to get out. Also, if the carriers find a bug or issue during testing, they have to send it back to Samsung and start the whole process again from scratch. Take me for instance, my S3 on AT&T didn’t receive 4.1.2 until August of last year. That was about 4 months AFTER the other U.S. carriers got it and about 8 months AFTER it was released to the rest of the world. I didn’t get 4.1.1 til AFTER 4.1.2 was released. Again it was because of my wireless carrier. I hope this explanation helps. If it doesn’t, then you need to get your priorities straight because there are more important things to life than a silly phone update.

• waywardyouth 8 months ago said:

Thank you very much. This information was very helpful. But what I don’t understand is Samsung engineers must be highly skilled, hi-tech engineers. For one update 3 months is a very long time to fix the issues. Whar are doing for 3 months or as you said 6 months? For high skilled software engineers this is a shame. They are just delaying the update for one purpose, they want to sell more of Note 3. It is not the matter of solving issues of Android 4.3.

• pbm5362 8 months ago said:

Thats a very valid point and thanks for not flying off the handle. The reason why I brought up the carrier point is that they’re part of the reason why updates are delayed. I think the reason why updates are tied up on Samsung’s end is because of how bogged down TouchWiz is. That could change after Google telling them to lay off of the extreme customizations they put over Android and also the patent deal they both signed. Samsung has a 24 month support period which means the S3 will see another update and the Note 2 will most likely see 2 updates after 4.3. That’s better than some of the other OEM’s.

Personally I’m not against you or defending Samsungn it’s just these excessive skins all OEM’S put on their devices.

• jatinkhatri 8 months ago said:

+1 nice explanation

44. tsabrak 8 months ago said:

Now Samsung is going one step further. This days people want newest hardware and newest software. Sgs2, sgs3, note, note2 still have good spec’s. Tell me which company you will choose? One who after they release their product they discontinue any software update or give you one update. Or second company who after releasing their product supports it for at least next three years. Answer is simple. I hope this is new Samsung’s strategy. This could even affect nexus sales.

45. Winchester019 8 months ago said:

FUCK YOU AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT HAS TO DO WITH SAMSUNG.
    YOU TOLD US IN 2012 THAT ANDROID 4.2 WILL BE AVAILABLE IN END FEBRUARY OF 2012 AND WE WAITED TILL DECEMBER TO GET AN OFFICIAL RELEASE OF 4.3, AND NOTHING CHANGED ON THAT UPDATE. NOW YOU’RE TELLING US SOMETHING ABOUT KITKAT. I INSTALLED CYANOGENMOD 4.3.2 A FEW MONTHS AGO AND FOR THE FIRST TIME I’M REALLY HAPPY WITH MY SAMSUNG DEVICE. GT-19300 . SO PEOPLE ROOT YOUR PHONE AND FLASH CYANOGENMOD, AND LOOK HOW AMAZING IS THE PERFORMANCE AND HOW STABLE AN OFFICIAL CYANOGENMOD UPDATE REALLY IS, AND FUCK ALL THAT SAMSUNG STUFF THAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR DEVICE, SAMSUNG HUB, SAMSUNG HEALTH etc… WHO NEEDS THEM ?

• waywardyouth 8 months ago said:

I am totally agree with you. These son of a bitches they thing that they are doing something in Samsung Company. They are doing nothing by the way. Drinking coffee and make chat on Facebook for sure at the company. One fuckin’ update takes 6 months, c’mon you funny bastards. You are cheaters and liars. Samsung should fire all of these motherfuckers from the company. Cyanogenmod and other ROM developers are fixing the issues in 1 or 2 weeks. They are really software experts. Not like Samsung’s idiot, unalphabetic asshole software engineers. If you are unable to solve the issues with you little brains then no problem guys. Leave your desks and chairs for expert software engineers. I bet that they will directly solve all the issues and problems in Android 4.3 update and will release it. You mongol idiots…

46. waywardyouth 8 months ago said:

I think Samsung has a USB flash memory with Android 4.3 update in it. And one guy from Samsung is travelling from one country to another country to distribute the update file. That’s why every week they release one country. HAHAHAHAHA :) :) :). YOU ARE REALLY POOR COMPANY.

• cakirbay21 8 months ago said:

pöhh not2 4.3 almamamış Türkiyede 44 ne zaman gelir bilinmez samsung çok yavaş Türkiye yavaş yavaş vazgeçiyor artık

47. waywardyouth 8 months ago said:

NOTE: Samsung is the poorest company in this GALAXY :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

48. dellamr 8 months ago said:

cant wait for kitkat in my s3

49. cnrp7777 8 months ago said:

I hope my note 2 will receive android 4.4.2 soon because nothing change on my device after I updated android 4.3 on it. Android 4.4 will be better than 4.3.

50. manthan2611 8 months ago said:

GT N7100 IS REDY\

51. the1asem 8 months ago said:

It’s funny because I just received the 4.3 update TODAY ☺

52. ameer8124 8 months ago said:

i am waiting for the 4.4 firmware fo s3 without any issue. because 4.3 stucks for me gitting hang…still waiting for update…

53. amithsna 8 months ago said:

Will Samsung GT-I9300(India) get a 4.4.2 update?? or is it still just a rumour?

54. terrandroid 8 months ago said: