Rumor: Galaxy S III and Note II to receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat by March end

The Galaxy Note 3 has started receiving the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update while we’ve seen a couple of leaked firmware for the Galaxy S4, and that has naturally made owners of the company’s 2012 flagships wonder when it will be their turn to hop on to the latest version of the OS. A rumor late last year suggested that the Galaxy S III and Note II would be updated to Android 4.4.2 before April this year, and now, according to insider info received by Android Geeks, both device should begin receiving the update by the end of March.

Now, many will probably just shake their heads at that, but unlike the Android 4.3 update, which took months to arrive on the S III and Note II, the KitKat update does have a high chance of making its way to users by March. Both variants of the Galaxy Note 3 were updated to KitKat in record time (if only because KitKat isn’t exactly a major update), and while the update’s only just out in a couple of countries at the moment, Samsung should be able to kick off the rollout for the S III and Note II rather quickly as well. At least, that’s what we hope, but we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Firmware news 94

terrandroid
1 year 2 months ago

WE WANT KITKAT!

amithsna
1 year 3 months ago

Will Samsung GT-I9300(India) get a 4.4.2 update?? or is it still just a rumour?

ameer8124
1 year 4 months ago

i am waiting for the 4.4 firmware fo s3 without any issue. because 4.3 stucks for me gitting hang…still waiting for update…

the1asem
1 year 4 months ago

It’s funny because I just received the 4.3 update TODAY ☺

manthan2611
1 year 4 months ago

GT N7100 IS REDY\

cnrp7777
1 year 5 months ago

I hope my note 2 will receive android 4.4.2 soon because nothing change on my device after I updated android 4.3 on it. Android 4.4 will be better than 4.3.

cocolopez
1 year 4 months ago

You need to try the leak rom in xda….4.4.2 its working great….;)

dellamr
1 year 5 months ago

cant wait for kitkat in my s3

waywardyouth
1 year 5 months ago

NOTE: Samsung is the poorest company in this GALAXY :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

waywardyouth
1 year 5 months ago

I think Samsung has a USB flash memory with Android 4.3 update in it. And one guy from Samsung is travelling from one country to another country to distribute the update file. That’s why every week they release one country. HAHAHAHAHA :) :) :). YOU ARE REALLY POOR COMPANY.

cakirbay21
1 year 5 months ago

pöhh not2 4.3 almamamış Türkiyede 44 ne zaman gelir bilinmez samsung çok yavaş Türkiye yavaş yavaş vazgeçiyor artık

Winchester019
1 year 5 months ago

FUCK YOU AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT HAS TO DO WITH SAMSUNG.
YOU TOLD US IN 2012 THAT ANDROID 4.2 WILL BE AVAILABLE IN END FEBRUARY OF 2012 AND WE WAITED TILL DECEMBER TO GET AN OFFICIAL RELEASE OF 4.3, AND NOTHING CHANGED ON THAT UPDATE. NOW YOU’RE TELLING US SOMETHING ABOUT KITKAT. I INSTALLED CYANOGENMOD 4.3.2 A FEW MONTHS AGO AND FOR THE FIRST TIME I’M REALLY HAPPY WITH MY SAMSUNG DEVICE. GT-19300 . SO PEOPLE ROOT YOUR PHONE AND FLASH CYANOGENMOD, AND LOOK HOW AMAZING IS THE PERFORMANCE AND HOW STABLE AN OFFICIAL CYANOGENMOD UPDATE REALLY IS, AND FUCK ALL THAT SAMSUNG STUFF THAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR DEVICE, SAMSUNG HUB, SAMSUNG HEALTH etc… WHO NEEDS THEM ?

waywardyouth
1 year 5 months ago

I am totally agree with you. These son of a bitches they thing that they are doing something in Samsung Company. They are doing nothing by the way. Drinking coffee and make chat on Facebook for sure at the company. One fuckin’ update takes 6 months, c’mon you funny bastards. You are cheaters and liars. Samsung should fire all of these motherfuckers from the company. Cyanogenmod and other ROM developers are fixing the issues in 1 or 2 weeks. They are really software experts. Not like Samsung’s idiot, unalphabetic asshole software engineers. If you are unable to solve the issues with you little brains then no problem guys. Leave your desks and chairs for expert software engineers. I bet that they will directly solve all the issues and problems in Android 4.3 update and will release it. You mongol idiots…

tsabrak
1 year 6 months ago

Now Samsung is going one step further. This days people want newest hardware and newest software. Sgs2, sgs3, note, note2 still have good spec’s. Tell me which company you will choose? One who after they release their product they discontinue any software update or give you one update. Or second company who after releasing their product supports it for at least next three years. Answer is simple. I hope this is new Samsung’s strategy. This could even affect nexus sales.

sandorag

Agree with you…..

waywardyouth
1 year 6 months ago

WHERE IS THE NOTE 2 ANDROID 4.3 UPDATE FOR TURKEY YOU ASSHOLES ??????? IT STARTED NOVEMBER 19 TH AND NOW THE CALENDAR SHOWS JANUARY 28. !!!!!! YOU ARE A BUNCH OF ASSHOLES YOU IDIOT SAMSUNG SOFTWARE ENGINEERS. YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT S3′s 1 GB OF RAM. NOTE 2 HAS 2 GIGS OF RAM SO WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT YOU MOTHERFUCKERS? WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING THERE STILL? STOP SCRATCHING YOUR BALLS AND RELEASE THE UPDATE FOR TURKEY YOU GOD DAMN STUPIDS. AND NOW YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ANDROID KITKAT. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…… DON’T MAKE US LAUGH. TRY TO REELEASE ANDROID 4.3 FIRST. YOU UNALPHABETIC IDIOTS………..

pbm5362
1 year 6 months ago

Is there a reason to go off like this? It will not get the update out any faster. I don’t know if your specific device is carrier branded but people forget to realize that it’s the wireless carriers that are usually the culprits of updates being delayed. They add their bloatware and do their supposed extensive testing and that’s why sometimes updates are slow to get out. Also, if the carriers find a bug or issue during testing, they have to send it back to Samsung and start the whole process again from scratch. Take me for instance, my S3 on AT&T didn’t receive 4.1.2 until August of last year. That was about 4 months AFTER the other U.S. carriers got it and about 8 months AFTER it was released to the rest of the world. I didn’t get 4.1.1 til AFTER 4.1.2 was released. Again it was because of my wireless carrier. I hope this explanation helps. If it doesn’t, then you need to get your priorities straight because there are more important things to life than a silly phone update.

jatinkhatri

+1 nice explanation

waywardyouth
1 year 6 months ago

Thank you very much. This information was very helpful. But what I don’t understand is Samsung engineers must be highly skilled, hi-tech engineers. For one update 3 months is a very long time to fix the issues. Whar are doing for 3 months or as you said 6 months? For high skilled software engineers this is a shame. They are just delaying the update for one purpose, they want to sell more of Note 3. It is not the matter of solving issues of Android 4.3.

pbm5362
1 year 5 months ago

Thats a very valid point and thanks for not flying off the handle. The reason why I brought up the carrier point is that they’re part of the reason why updates are delayed. I think the reason why updates are tied up on Samsung’s end is because of how bogged down TouchWiz is. That could change after Google telling them to lay off of the extreme customizations they put over Android and also the patent deal they both signed. Samsung has a 24 month support period which means the S3 will see another update and the Note 2 will most likely see 2 updates after 4.3. That’s better than some of the other OEM’s.

Personally I’m not against you or defending Samsungn it’s just these excessive skins all OEM’S put on their devices.

Targonis
1 year 6 months ago

For those who missed it, the 4.3 update for the S3 increases the memory footprint to .095GB or above. For those with a 1GB version of the S3, this caused all those horrible problems with the original 4.3 release.

Now, for those with devices that have less than 1.5GB of RAM then, you HAVE to expect that Samsung learned from its mistakes, and wouldn’t release the update to yet more devices until the memory footprint can be reduced. This is where the 4.4 update comes in, which Google intended to work on devices with as little as 512MB of RAM. Now, TouchWiz DOES increase the memory footprint by a fair amount, so that will help, but Samsung may want to get the RAM usage of TouchWiz down a bit before releasing to older devices. I’d look at what you have in your device, and then figure that if you have less than 1.5GB of RAM, you just won’t see 4.3, though 4.4 may be released for it.

If a device was released before 2012, you should also expect that you won’t see updates, though Samsung might surprise everyone. It is the nature of the entire technology sector that older devices won’t get updates that newer devices do, and the newest devices, followed by the older but still popular devices will also see updates. This is VERY normal, and even Apple has drawn a cut-off for what devices get updates based on how much RAM and other specs the older devices have. If a device doesn’t have the RAM, or processing/GPU power to handle the updates of the new OS version, then that device will probably not get updated.

YossK
1 year 5 months ago

You’re right. If only people knew a few things before yelling in here :D I’d love to see them work hard on updates for ALL counties and realize how long it could take hahah ! I have the S III (GT-I9300) which has 1 GB of RAM, and I just got the 4.3 update (Jan. 2014 thanks to the KIES, not regular OTA) and I was seriously hoping that it would increase my device fluidity. It did a little bit, but I was surprised to see that my phone still takes 3-5 seconds to open regular applications like sms, contacts or call logs. It’s kinda sad when you compare it to an iPhone 5 for example (which has even less RAM) that thing is incredibly fast and fluid ! I hope Samsung did indeed learn from their mistakes, which makes me patient while waiting for 4.4.x KitKat. Let’s just keep hope and faith in Samsung, I’m sure they can make something satisfying for their customers.
Oh and btw, +1 ;)

pbm5362

ikhyquartzz23
1 year 6 months ago

How about S3 mini (GT-I8190) ??
Would it receive kitkat firmware update ??

trolloface

Hope samsung will update kernel and apps on note 2

fzrysr

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I have galaxy s3 and I installed android 4.3. After I installed android 4.3 I can not instagram internet and gmail. I deleted when programs (instagram,gmail) running but it doesn’t work again :’( I m now so upset

salamamohamed
1 year 6 months ago

I don’t believe this words..
I think we will get this update befor april..
My s3 still in 4.1.2 in egypt.. I didn’t received new update..tooooo late

sguyx
1 year 6 months ago

Have you already sold enough 10.1 2014 model to update our 10.1 2012 finally? We have still 4.1.2 – wake up samsung!!

androidscualdroid
1 year 6 months ago

actualizen el s3 mini i8190L ese nunca lo an actualizada actualizenlo a 4.2.2 o 4.3 o de preferencia 4.4 pero ya actualizenlo…….

atermon

ant+
ant+
ant+
c’mon Sammy, rise to your potential.

jameszah
1 year 6 months ago

That is excellent news for my Note II, but what about my Note 10.1 (2012), will we ever receive this update????!!!!! such a superb tablet/note without updates for all this time. Please update especially for multi user support (and maybe overclock to 1.6 like Note 2)

gewsan
1 year 6 months ago

Kit kat on devices that are not the Galaxy Note 3 and s4, only if you rub the Nestle chocolate on top of the screen. More respect, Samsung.

sharique786
1 year 6 months ago

Samsung suck…apple is much better than Samsung. …now I will never buy Samsung. ….

sharique786
1 year 6 months ago

In our dreams we will get update in march end. Till now we didn’t get android 4.3 and they are saying we will get android 4.4 update. They are ass hole we wont get it.

iitzjohnny92
1 year 6 months ago

I don’t know why you are all complaining about a simple update. My note 2 was updated to 4.3 in december here in the United States. Samsung confirmed that android 4.4 will be released on the end of Jan or beginning of Feb for the Galaxy S4, Galaxy Mega users. For the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 android 4.4 will be released in the end of March or the beginning of April. If your device isn’t updated yet to 4.3, don’t worry about it. If you really want 4.3 on your device DOWNLOAD SAMSUNG KIES!