Galaxy S7 Always On display feature not coming to existing Galaxy handsets

Samsung confirmed yesterday that the Galaxy S7 and the Galaxy S7 edge features an Always On display. The features allows the device to show ambient information on what would otherwise be a black screen when the display is turned off. The Always On display is capable of displaying a clock, calendar or even a background image. It also supports theming so third-party themes from the Themes store will be able to change the look and feel of this feature.

In the past, Samsung has brought over some of the features it has introduced with new flagships to the predecessors, but don’t keep your fingers crossed for this particular feature. Always On display feature is not going to be released for existing Galaxy handsets, not even last year’s flagships, so if you’d like to use this feature you have to pick up the Galaxy S7 or the Galaxy S7 edge.

Phones

gonzalotrianon
9 months 10 days ago

some developer will take care of porting to other devices. once all upgrade to Marshmallow there is no limit.

warlockba
9 months 10 days ago

What do you want? Samsung is as close as Google Stock ROM as it can be. It is called Samsung Stuck ROM.
But on the other hand, they are in a business of selling phones, not software. So as long as they can still get rid of their devices (aka. find customers who buy it), they will not care.
In Holland there is a Class Action Lawsuit against them, due to the update policy – however again, Samsung is not the only one who does this – most of the manufacturers do. So as long as there will be no way to update Android past the manufacturers (i.e. something similar to service packs) – there will be no change.
What is a shame although is, that Samsung, and this is my 5th year in a row, whenever a new device comes out – the old ones get updated, with updates, which make the devices barely usable, so you have to buy the new one.
I own now a Note 4 – and I will definitively skip the M update (was stuck on 5.0.2 for almost half a year, and my old S3 was performing better at that point) – check reports on S6 / Note 5 – that they are screwed up with M, and it is most likely that this is the close to last update they will get (maybe 1 more, to “fix some issues”), and that’s that then, since the devices get slowly more than 18 months old. So if your devices are working ok-ish, say thanks that you do not get any update from Samsung.

michaelroye
5 months 4 days ago

Sorry you don’t know what you’re talking about the note 4 and s5 suffered with 5.02 because android in general had issues with that version with memory leaks, 5.1.1 runs much better. My friends s5 all run much better on M, and the M update my made note 5 perform even better while it was perfect before. Samsungs get 2 major os updates so again you don’t know what you’re talking about, s5 and note 4 started with kit kat and is now on M, note 5 a d s6 started with lollipop is on M so will get N.

Solun
9 months 11 days ago

Who cares, the always on display is a gimmick cause if you have a notification, the blinking light would tell you. And if the always on display tells you, you unlock the screen the same way as you would if the notif light blinked. So it´s just a waste of battery – 12% battery lost every 24 hours (Samsung says, but in real life it can be more). Instead they should have offered 128 gigs variant without SD card so nothing would slow the phone down.

ghedelacruz610
9 months 10 days ago

when samsung did not implement the sd card on s6, there were a lot of complains/qualms. but now that they have put it back on s7, you still are complaining. what ails you really????

multi1vers3
9 months 11 days ago

well im all samsung, been that whole my life, but no IR, no USB-C, no support for more then 1.5yr, no removable battery ( i mean serioulsly, what are we suppose to do when battery become fat after 2 yrs), cant root without losing samsung PAY, no magnesium body, no pressure-sensing touchscreen. I mean all of this exist already so they could put it inside, but aperently they dont wont to.

vagaBond07
9 months 11 days ago

It’s lovely to have it as a stock feature but been using this since my S4 via AcDisplay

LegendSmoker

Just to be sure.
Where is the difference between this ”Always ON Display” and Googles Ambient Display? i mean except that we can theme it…?

if there aren’t any… then shame on Samsung ….
This should be there since 5.0 so Samsung should enable this in devices from Note 3 and above Cause it is still on Lollipop 5.0.
And they should stop acting like they did something new…

lujki
9 months 11 days ago

Didn’t even expect it… Thankfully there are developers so I bet there will be that feature ported in a matter of days, when it gets on sale. Just like edge screen did.

prodj77
9 months 10 days ago

Its true, I use most of the features and apps of the Galaxy Note 5 on my Note 4 thanks to the developers. (Ditto Note 5 ROM v0.5 from Electron Team)

superf
9 months 11 days ago

I’m impressed that noone has mentioned that the IR blaster is missing… That’s Sammy, it gives you something and takes something else back…

capeneata78
9 months 11 days ago

Who needs a always on display on my s6 edge when you got on the playstore “NOled” app does more or less the same thing

jimmy29

it does not matter .I transport that in my Note 4 because I like

ijazali

That’s not fair Samsung,

o0MHJ0o
9 months 11 days ago

I’m hoping my edge+ gets Edge Panels and Motion Panorama! Not too worried about this feature.

lujki
9 months 11 days ago

Yeah, motion panorama is cool. Unlike this, I think motion panorama could come, just like they ported YouTube live streaming to S6/edge from Note 5 and Edge+

superf
9 months 11 days ago

With root and XPosed Framework Samsung can keep their fingers crossed because we are getting it the day after the launch of S7.

ProdByEchelon
9 months 11 days ago

I wouldn’t even use it. Burn-in isnt fun.

sanayp
9 months 11 days ago

Even if people are not going to use it, it would be nice if Samsung just provides this feature.

nikolozzz
9 months 11 days ago

As always, worst part of samsung is updates. It takes so long and after that you still dont get new options.

sanayp
9 months 11 days ago

This can be easily bought with a simple update.

But we all must know by now that Samsung rarely brings new features to older devices.

E.g. Themes store or even a new touchwiz UI at the very least.