Early Galaxy Note 6 rumors point at 5.8-inch ‘Slim RGB’ display, 6GB of RAM

You would think the rumor mill would wait until the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge get announced before spinning up stories about the Galaxy Note 6, but that is not the case. A Weibo user has posted some information on Samsung’s next Note flagship, and provided this extremely early titbit has some truth behind it, we could be in for some interesting changes.

The Note 6 will reportedly feature a 5.8-inch “Slim RGB AMOLED” display. The increase in display size doesn’t sound far-fetched – the Galaxy S7 edge will have a 5.5-inch display, so a 5.7-inch display might not be enough to differentiate the Note lineup. What’s interesting is the RGB display part. Samsung opted for an RGB matrix for the Galaxy S II but dropped it from later flagships saying RGB AMOLED displays don’t last as long, and it looks like the Diamond PenTile matrix could be getting replaced once again.

The post says the screen “becomes too thin”, and a slimmer display assembly means Samsung could do something like fit in a larger battery (the S7 and S7 edge will offer the largest batteries on Galaxy flagships yet). If the display will be a little bigger in size, a slimmer bezel could also come in handy. It looks like the leak says the screen will be pressure-sensitive with 1,024 pressure points, but the Note 5 (and even the Note 4) already have 2,048 pressure points for the S Pen so this might be something else or completely wrong.

Now, for the more unbelievable part of this rumor: The Galaxy Note 6 will supposedly come with 6GB of RAM. Samsung started mass producing 12Gb LPDDR4 memory last year, and using four of those will allow the Note 6 to total 6GB of RAM. It sounds far-fetched, but considering even a mid-range Samsung device could soon be sporting 4GB of RAM and a lot of mid-range devices now offering 3GB of RAM, 6GB of RAM might just be an important feature for selling the Note 6 to consumers.

Other expected specs include 64GB and 128GB UFS 2.0 internal storage, two different SoCs, and a 12-megapixel rear camera with Super OIS. All of this sounds rather good to be true, but given how the Korean giant has packed the upcoming S7 and S7 edge to the brim with everything one could ask for, we wouldn’t be too quick to write this rumor off as total rubbish.

What do you think? Do you think the Galaxy Note 6 could come with all of the features mentioned above, or would you prefer to wait a few months before even thinking about the Note 6?

Phones 24

7 months 15 hours ago

Waiting for note 6. However, it’s only rumors and speculation.
But , Samsung have proven it’s GS7 , GS7 edge. Then Note 6 could hit the market again , and become the most best phablet ever, Samsung always risks and rush things , but in the end of the day , it got what it deserve as a best company.

8 months 4 days ago

I am still fine with my Note 4 despite the fact that the battery performance is now worsening from week to week after 15 months of intensive use. I didn’t get the Note 5 for many reasons. The top 3 were: It wasn’t available in my market, it does not support Micro SD cards and I can not change the battery myself the easy way. As the S7 does not come with a pen (nor build in, nor with an optional case) I will not get the S7 and will just wait for the Note 6 to come. But what should the Note 6 come with to make me spend money for it? First of all a build in pen, or at least a pen that comes with a Montblanc Soft Grain Flip-Cover. 2: MicroSDXC support, preferably with UHS-II support. 3: a user changeable battery or a build in battery that will keep the initial performance for a minimum of 2 years even if intensively used. 4: the best possible receive/transmit voice and data performance. 5. USB 3.1c for fast wired data transfer. 6. a 5.8-6.2″ display bright enough to be readable in sunlight. Dream mode on: I wouldn’t mind a Note 6 the size of a S7 (not the S7 edge) but with a foldable premium UHD 4K display. 7. a camera with an F1,7 to 1,4 lens, fast autofocus (double pixel) but (dream mode on again) with a resolution of >16MP for best possible details. 8. water resistant >IP68 9: All the up2date sensors but again including a temperature sensor. As accessories I would embrace a Montblanc Flip-Cover, a wireless charging unit to hold the device in an upright position (anticipating that wireless charging comes as a standard) that can charge the Note 6 and my Gear S2 or future S3 classic simultaneously and serve as a kind of a docking station to make use of a large 4K monitor via DP. Dream Mode on again: a small true 360 degree high resolution 4K/60p watertight VR camera. That’s it. Just listen and realize it with an intense passion for innovation and market leadership.

8 months 9 days ago

Hope they do not forget their former flagship note 4

8 months 9 days ago

Every last one if you that opted to keep your Note 4…FANTASTIC MOVE…trust me. I made such a mistake upgrading. Just plain stupid. Wish I could take it back.

7 months 10 days ago

I have my Note 4 and I’ve decided not to go S7/S7 Edge as I’m going to upgrade to Note 6

8 months 9 days ago

I”ve had a note 2, note 3, and now note 4. I kept my Note 4 and skipped the 5. The 5 lost the microsd card slot, and the removable battery. I have 128gb sd card and 10,000mah extended battery. Can’t do that with the note 5 – so it was a deal killer for me. The IR blaster is handy and all – but I need big removable storage and big battery options. Can’t do that then I won’t buy it. Even so getting the right setup on a note 4 is still a pain. I wanted FM radio and unlimited data plan – and the only way to do that was to pay full price for a sprint phone, then hack the hell out of it and put it on the t-mobile network. Sadly t-mobile variants don’t have the FM radio receiver enabled at hardware level. I would be nice to see something released that actually HAS all the damn specs everyone asks for in the Note line. Bigger screen, removable battery and storage and IR blaster (ya so don’t REMOVE features for the new unit..duh). Ok now give us faster chips, faster wifi, more RAM, better screens, and better cameras as hardware upgrades. I really don’t understand their logic here. I do like the idea of a possible laptop style docking station though. I had a Droid Bionic that had that option. Neat idea – but in that case it turned out to be a horrid execution of that idea. It didn’t work ery well (if at all) – I actually eventually gave it to a friend and jumped on the Note train. Even if they did that right I would still hesitate if there wasn’t a removable battery and sd card.

8 months 10 days ago

The Note 4 is Samsung’s last true power user flagship. These Note 5′s and 6′s are toys aimed at the Apple Hello Kitty market.

8 months 10 days ago

Not interested in 6GB RAM without capabilities that can benefit from them. New S-Pen features ?? They are welcome ! But really I prefer to see microSD slot again or a minimum of 64GB storage for the base version, and I hope IR blaster bring back too.

8 months 10 days ago

New removable technology is better than SD-cards, if they will release the Removable UFS or find a way to make it friendly with the SD-card

8 months 10 days ago

no talk about the external sd and wether the note 6 is going to feature one? i believe it is what most people come here for. And yes, 6gb of ram and at the same time lack of external sd and ir blaster sounds like taking the piss. Still proudly hanging onto my note 3 with no intention to change device for something very much inferior.

8 months 10 days ago

I truly hope the SD slot is returned. For me that is more important than IR or removable battery. My Note3 still runs fine on its original battery, going strong for 2,5 years. Yes, a new battery would be an improvement, but I still make 1-2 days of use out of it.

Now hope that Samsung in their wisdom wants to take it to the European market again. The signs are good. The S6E+ wasn’t really accepted as substitute around here.

8 months 11 days ago

it’s good news but we need some more improvement like, MemoryCard Slot, IR Remote, New Design, Battery Improvements with more beautiful Digital back camera with dual LED Flash and again we want some more beautiful design..

8 months 11 days ago

6gb Ram?! Going over kill there. Unless Samsung throws in a 4k display as well…

8 months 11 days ago

What in the hell does ANY phone need with 6gb of ram? Even the resource hog that is Touchwiz couldn’t use this much, even with Chrome and a couple dozen “other” user apps running at the same time! Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!!

8 months 11 days ago

Hopefully they will bring back the IR blaster. There is no reason not too unless they are just trying to take a short cut and the removable battery and microSD card. Still have a Note 4 and an available upgrade.

Staying with my note 4 until the return of ir blaster to the note series

8 months 11 days ago

If this is true, it will be a good reason to upgrade my Note 4… Note 5 is good, but I can’t seem to let go of my 4.

8 months 11 days ago

As long as the Note 6 has IR blaster and removable battery I’ll be getting it.

8 months 11 days ago

I have trouble getting my Edge+ to lag on 4GBs of RAM. Yes the device gets heated if I really put pressure on it, but thankfully it doesn’t lag (without flipboard on my home screen). 6GB would be better suited to tablets I think, for something like watching a movie while playing Candy crush lol

8 months 11 days ago

I would like to see an eraser function built into the S Pen. Model it after a pencil. It’s not really a big deal, but when I’m writing I always feel like I should just be able to flip the S Pen around and erase, not have to go back up to the top of the screen and select the eraser. But that’s just an idea.

8 months 11 days ago

Sounds like they are dropping the s-pen. Will Samsung drop the price too?

8 months 11 days ago

I’m tired to wait, since the Note won’t probably be waterproof because of the pen, I will get the s7 Edge. It looks perfect enough to me to not get the bigger Note…

8 months 11 days ago

We will have to wait and see.

8 months 11 days ago

Too soon to speculate about Note 6, the release will be on August the availability to USA market probably on the final of September…