[Updated] Galaxy S6 edge+ gets first software update, battery improvements in tow

The unlocked Galaxy Note 5 got its first software update last week, and Samsung is now rolling out the exact same update to the Galaxy S6 edge+. The Galaxy S6 edge+ shares all of its hardware with the Galaxy Note 5; it’s interesting to see Samsung finally maintaining consistency in software updates despite the two devices being from a different lineup, and despite the Note 5′s software not exactly being 100 percent similar to the S6 edge+ thanks to its stylus-related features.

The update brings improvements to battery usage and call stability, in addition to enhanced security. It’s a 138.14 MB update (with build number G928GDDU2AOJ5) that is available on our S6 edge+ in India, and it seems the same update has already rolled out for the European variant of the device in recent days, something that went under our radar. We will be keeping an eye on the battery life of the phone over the next few days to see if it actually improves; the S6 edge+ can last considerably long out of the box, and increased endurance would certainly be very welcome.

Have you received this update on your Galaxy S6 edge+? Let us know in the comments, and if you’ve been on the latest version of the OS for a few days, do tell us if you have noticed any changes in battery life.

Update: It seems the changelog is a bit misleading. The battery menu on the S6 edge+ (and the Note 5) now has an App Optimization section that seems to be a modified version of the Smart Manager feature that allowed users to make apps stop running in the background after 10 minutes to save battery life. The device now simply says that it is optimizing an app instead of saying that the app will be force stopped, and the “Battery usage optimization” bullet point in the changelog likely means the App Optimization feature rather than actual improvements to battery life.

s6-edge+-update

Firmware news 17

iroulina
4 months 18 days ago

I have SM-G928F.I HAVE OROBLEM WITH THIS UPDATE.By last update took my cell phone, which concerned the optimization of the battery (in December) after the analog clock on the menu shows the hour long hours behind.PLEASE FIX IT

caboob
6 months 8 days ago

So is anybody getting bluetooth range issues? I noticed that my gear S keeps disconnecting and now don’t get audio to my bluetooth headset when the phone is in my pocket. Sounds like the Bluetooth range got nerfed. I did several hard resets of phone and watch and to no avail.

Jebussamy
6 months 19 days ago

I need s6 edge software plus sm- g928V verison for odin

vaqar000
6 months 21 days ago

I really don’t know what’s going on. I got an edge+ 18 to 20 days back and had 2 performance updates in the first 3 days or so. Now what happens is that the battery drains all by it self from 25% to 30% while the phone is on stand like within 4 to 5 hours of complete inactivity. And when I use it the battery drains like nothing else. I am a very old android and Samsung user so I know all the tips and tricks and the basics of checking the device in safe mode and all. And have all my apps on always optimizing. All radios location Bluetooth every thing is off but still the battery will drain fast. The amazing part is that I have done 3 factory resets / Hard resets to my phone and what happens on each reset is that each time the first charge gives me an astonishing juice of 35 to 49 hours which I think is simply wow. As soon as I charge for the second time it goes back to the irritating state of draining the battery rapidly and as an average user it give me only 12 to 13 hours of battery life. And as I said it happened all three times. I really don’t get it. I have done every thing I knew but when a glitch is there in the firmware you are helpless until its fixed. Because if there is a battery issue it wouldn’t give me 38 hours of battery in the first place. I don’t know if some one else is facing this problem or not but the latest updates brought troubles to my edge+ and damn its extremely irritating. I wish I could attach the screen shots of the battery graph to let you know what’s going on.

milaf109
6 months 23 days ago

i have a small problem with my s6edge+
the night clock its doesn’t seems to be updates time by time or its has a lag. some times the time is updating same time
some time its after 2min
some times its takes 10 min – 15 min to update the night clock on the edge.
any one have the same problem or is the regular for this ? becoz it was not like this on my previous Note edge.

Stip
6 months 28 days ago

Smartswitch shows me 1.8GB update???

kiarash2385
7 months 3 hours ago

I have galaxy S6 Edge + ( g9287) i didn’t get the update yet :-/

pratsarolkar
7 months 1 day ago

I have the app optimization thing on my s5 too. It is good! But i did not notice change in battery life. Will test for long as i stumbled upon this a week ago.

samsunglima
7 months 1 day ago

I got and update on my Galaxy S6 Edge G925F few days ago with the same feature.. Also raw photos and more.. I posted on Twitter

viomen
7 months 1 day ago

Nothing (update) here for my G925i arrived.

vertcam9
7 months 1 day ago

This is already the second update from the original Firmware since release.

Edvinoo
7 months 1 day ago

This goes for the rregular S6 edge also, as I said in the mail I sent..

ProdByEchelon
7 months 2 days ago

This is great. I guess it was strategic to make the internals similar.

NoteLove
7 months 2 days ago

Got this for normal S6 last week. Samsung have a doze like feature now in battery setting “app optimisation ” this helps the battery immensely in standby mode. It stops apps from refreshing in the back ground

Was surprised you guys never picked up on this feature. The S6 bsttery is now great in standby and general usage.

Better memory now also on S6 and stagefright fix also. Well done Samsung

cotabitiu
7 months 1 day ago

Well, I’m glad for you. No update for me yet.

Mobyone
7 months 2 days ago

Thanks for the heads up guys. I just checked and I am now downloading the update OTA in UK :)