Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N920) tech specs and S6 edge + leaked

We have a new leak on the upcoming Galaxy Note 5 from @evleaks. According to the serial leakster Evan Blass, the device will pack a 5.66-inch Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 2560×1440 pixels and an octa-core Exynos 7420 processor (four cores are clocked at 2.1GHz whereas the other four cores at 1.5GHz). Other tech specs included are: 4GB of RAM, multiple native storage options due to no microSD card support, Android 5.1.1 Lollipop running out of the box, and an impressive 16-megapixel primary shooter accompanied by a 5-megapixel frontal camera.

Along with these tech specs, we also have an image of what the Galaxy Note 5 and the Galaxy S6 edge+ will look like. As you can see below, the devices seem to have similar dimensions. The image also shows the S Pen stylus that’s due to be included with the Galaxy Note 5 with a new push-to-release mechanism. We’ll hear more about this device when Samsung will be hosting its Unpacked event on the 13th of August, when they’ll most likely announce these devices. Let us know what you think about these specs by leaving a comment.

galaxy-note-5

Source

Phones 94

dawinchi818
11 months 18 days ago

rly simple
disoppointed

double-one
11 months 19 days ago

It´s very simple: They make more money with us if our data is in “the cloud” !
Samsung throws every month a dozen of new phones into the market. Do you really think they are not capable of making two versions of their top phones.
One with UFS 2.0 (In my eyes only usefull if smartphones comes with a minimum of 256GB storage) and one with External SD ( The new, fast ones they allready have tested ;-) ).
But they don´t have pressure to do it, If most people buy the Note5 with UFS. Samsung is snobbishly as Apple is. But they all forget how fast the game could be Over: Remember Nokia, Motorola (Mobile), Atari, Commodore…

We have around 300 people in our company using high class smartphones. A while ago I decide to stay on Samsung, even if i´m angry since Knox…
…but the time for Samsung is ending soon !

Crazy Johnny
11 months 20 days ago

I suggested to Samsung in an email that they should make 2 versions of the Note 5. One being the version they’re getting ready to release, and a classic version with all the features Note users have come to rely on. I could care less about style. I currently have a Note 3 with a 10,000 mah battery and a 64gb sd card. I was planning on getting the Note 5 and beefing it up the same way, but now I might have to go with an LG G4 or just hang on to my Note 3 a while longer. If Google had a decent file transfer system other than MTP, internal storage may not be such a bad thing. Man, I hope Samsung doesn’t screw up the Note 5 like the rumors suggest.

kronicle
11 months 20 days ago

I have a very thin aluminum metal case on my S6 Edge. You practically don’t even know it’s there. It’s also got better grip surface than smooth glass, while protecting it at the same time!

What do you think UFS 2.0 Memory with 3x faster simultaneous read/writes and 4GB LPDDR4 Ram is? Fool!!! That’s Functionality over looking cool with your corrupted extremely slow MicroSD Slot memory that takes 20 minutes to write a 4K Video and that’s only a small part of the Exynos 14nm SoC no one else to date has out yet!!! :D

JazzyJayBEE
11 months 20 days ago

Did you even bother to read what Crazy Johnny suggested? If you have not, I will restate for you. “I suggested to Samsung in an email that they should make 2 versions of the Note 5. One being the version they’re getting ready to release, and a classic version with all the features Note users have come to rely on.” This allows you to have your so-called faster UFS 2.0 edition.

kronicle
11 months 18 days ago

I had the original Note….. Note 2 (I still have and use sometimes)….. Note 3 and plan on buying Note 5. I used to use SD slot in Note, and Note 2. Then on Note 3 I just got plain tired of swapping out batteries and corrupting SD cards swapped among my cameras, computers, etc.

The spare batteries are a pain to keep charged. Just like with spare camera and spare phone batteries always are. So I bought a Power Bank with built-in Wifi SD Slot. I can use it and keep all my SD cards only synced and formated for it. NO COMPATIBILITY or DATA LOSS EVER!!! Plus I can use any device with Wifi Access to Store, Read and Write to it. NX1 has fastest Wifi Standard as does my Samsung Note 3 and S6 Edge and I certainly don’t miss that lame SD slot, that can’t be used for multiple users, FAT32 (and exFAT) are notoriously and easily corruptible. So don’t keep lying to yourselves about these facts!!!

SD CARDS??? Yeah… a group of SD card makers set standard 15yrs ago that still has us all paying Microsoft for the license. That whether we use them or not simply by having that lame SD Card Slot in our phones. Although I still use them for my cameras as a Professional photographer, I no longer use them on Note 3 as a Graphic Artist. Instead I prefer infinite storage in the Cloud (I have 1TB Cloud space) and either my really simple to insert and use External MicroUSB MicroSD Card Reader!!! haha….. Something you idiots appear unable to comprehend how easy and cheap that is to use on any device with USB Port or my Power Bank w/ Wifi SD reader!

Yeah…. I guess you fools can’t seem to figure any of that kind of stuff out for yourselves. So here you are demanding Samsung make two versions of the same looking phone. But at the same time, you’re willing to give up on the benefits of UFS 2.0 memory and LPDDR 4 directly integrated into the PCIe Bus! …..now the really good part for you imbeciles: SD requires different parts and circuits with eMMC Memory Controller, instead of UFS 2.0 memory controller. Which in turn requires you use a different older Exynos SoC or Qualcomm Chip! …..and therein lies the rub for you idiots!!! hahaha….

Because my Note 5 will absolutely kill your ridiculously lame downgraded Note -5 in performance and then you’ll all have something else to F****** complain about!!! Plus there is no way to put it in the same Note frame and case. So you’re asking for your own personal Nightmare on Elm Street Twins scenario!!! Wise UP! …..or simply go buy a fake Note 5 when they come out!!!

JazzyJayBEE
11 months 20 days ago

This wait for 8/13 is painful, I hope this Note 5 has a SD card slot, otherwise I’ll have to keep my Note 3 and wait to see what LG does with their so-called LG G4 Pro..

alozide
11 months 20 days ago

Samsung is on a path of change which in my opinion is to please the people who buy or own apple iphone devices, with no interest in the loyalty of the very people who have bought their devices in the past, removing options like SD card slot, IR blaster, waterproofing etc. Looks more and more like apple’s styling and function, “Samsung the new Apple company”

frodo69
11 months 20 days ago

sounds like the note 5 will be a flop. no reason to upgrade from the 4

oresamawasugoi
11 months 21 days ago

What I have is a Note 3. Love that phone, but I wish it would be a little bit more capable, especially the pen. What I expected from the Note5 is, to be snappier (I use it a lot and with lots of app switching), a bigger screen, much better battery life. The specifications aren’t in that favor. I don’t want to change the brand, for as others don’t have the pen. I love that little smart plastic stick. I like drawing with it, I like to write with it, select things on that screen. Sure the Note5 will offer that too, but the other specs aren’t meeting my expectations.

ShangTsungg
11 months 21 days ago

The amount of comments on gsmarena, phonearena and sammobile says enough. Let your voice be heard, do NOT buy the note 5 if these specs and rumours are true (especially the SD card and removable battery lacking features) and stick with your note 3 or 4. No one cares about slightly faster reading speeds or cloud BS if that means sacrificing one or more legacy features that the majority of Note users want. People want value for their hard earned money – if these rumours come true on August 13, then skip this new iteration or find something that does suit all your needs. The funny thing is that Sammy has everything in it’s power to outdo the competition in every way, yet is blinded by greed. Pay more for less? No effing way. Any sane person would agree. Open your eyes, if you haven’t already done so.

eLg1
11 months 21 days ago

Who made all those stupid decisions to cannibalize the design of new note? I just do hope all those idiots who were behind the decision to remove SD card slot will be fired once Samsung realizes how much profit they lost. They didn’t learn anything from poor sales of Galaxy S6… I had all Galaxy Notes previously but with no micro SD slot, bye bye Samsung, I will look elsewhere…

popm

16 and 5 is favorit number of samsung and now the new song no microsd

NULUSIOS
11 months 21 days ago

Yeah congratulations Samsung for not listening to your client base. Where do you make your market researches? In your offices?
Non removable back, we said ok, maybe Samsung finally knows how to make good batteries that don’t die so easily (and not talking about capacity).
No SD, we said well maybe they cannot do it because of the new storage subsystem (of course you can).
Screen same and even a bit smaller than Note 3 (wtf!?).
And you couldn’t even put in 7422 instead of 7420.
Good luck treating your “geek” series (Note) like your “fashion” series (S).
No go. Bye bye.
You have to present something REALLY good that we don’t expect to turn this around (and no, self popping stylus is not it…).
We did NOT want “iPhone alternatives”.
And then you wonder why your sales go down? Hahaha really? You wonder?

NULUSIOS
11 months 21 days ago

I skipped N4 to wait for N5 (and x64 architecture).
Now N4 looks better than ever.
Will wait for Xperia Z5 if they make it and even better LG G4 Pro or something.

Ruturaj001
11 months 21 days ago

I don’t think SOC in the devices you mentioned will even perform as good as 7420. If they just change the number from 7420 to 7422 is okay with you. I thought being a geek you will ask for improvement in terms of manufacturing process (14nm LPP and/or ePoP), better GPU (T860/T880), may be newer cores (A72). At this time it looks like Snapdragon 820 won’t be ready, so forget about G4 pro or Z5 doing better than Note 5/S6. with very thin chances they might have SD 820 which will have approx same performance as 7420. If you really want big improvement skip devices this year, and buy one next year with USB type C 3.1, A72 cores, T880, I guess that would be note 6.

manojmcn
11 months 21 days ago

Given the new design philosophy, I think its better to keep the expectations in line with what we saw with S6/S6 edge. No expectations of MicroSD or removable battery.
Hence I think the best the Samsung can do with Note 5 is:

1. Retain all good features of S6(build, fingerprint scanner, touchwiz improvements,wireless
charging etc)
2. Exynos 7420 with higher clock speed or 7422 with improvements over 7420
3. Promote 64GB version as default
4. Camera improvements (RAW + better Whitebalance control for low light)
5. Battery, something in excess or nearly 3500mAh (4100mAh would be great)
6. Samsung Pay – US/Korea & may be Europe to start with
7. Improved S-Pen functionalities.
8. Enhance multitasking/multi window capabilities
Any other new features would be a bonus :)

robertkoa
11 months 21 days ago

Kind of sad that Samsung may be turning the Note 5 into more of a “Consumer Device” like S6 rather than a Professional Business Class Device as previous Note Series has been.
1) Glass Back though elegant is less practical and increases fragility especially on a larger Device
2) No removable Battery
is a serious omission. To be able to swap battery before an important meeting/presentation/
quick photo session/
email proposal etc. etc.
can be a lifesaver. Using a new Battery after 200 to 400 charge cycles ( 4-6 months for some Users) gives longer runtimes.
3) Omitting SD Storage is another serious omission.
A) The “Cloud” is not faster or easier to store to , uses Data.
B) You don’t want important personal files,data,contracts,photos on a Server which you have no control over is Online and can be easily hacked or lost.
C) SD Storage is easy to make a second back up copy for archiving and protection.
With Phones getting
“Thinner for style” and somewhat less functional due to thinness I am hoping that the Smartphone Industry has Consumer Phones and Professional Class Phones which are more rugged,higher performance, thicker with larger Batteries etc.
The Note 4 was a Prime Example of a Pro Class Phone and the Galaxy Alpha SHOULD have been but was held back spec- wise by Samsung
( restricting the S5 Sensor to only 12 megapixels, too small battery, screen res, etc.).IF Alpha was basically a Note 4 Compact -it would have been a large seller for Samsung.
But the Pro Class Top Business Android was Note 4.
Which Manufacturer wants to continue that Trend ?
I was HOPING Samsung would continue with a Note 5 and a Note 5 Compact ( size of S6 but thicker design using battery from S6 Active)
or maybe call it S6 Pro.

Then they would have two sizes of Phones to compete with iPhone6S
and iPhone6S+ and I could have my pocket sized Pro Phone.

But Samsung seems to be going too” Consumer” on their Note Series with Note 5.
Note Series is supposed to be Business Class not just a bigger S6.
Which Manufacturer wants to also make “Pro Class ” Smartphones?
It is surprising that Samsung had the IDEAL DESIGN in Note 4 with removable battery, SD Storage and just abandoned that and regressed on Note 5 .
They killed two Important Features for the Glass Back which is too fragile on a Business Pro Device of this size anyway.

Pro Devices are Function over Form . Samsung is taking the Metal and Glass Design thing into the wrong area here.
Note 5 Sales will be significantly lower compared to Note 4 if no SD and fixed Battery.

It is a regression not progress IMO.

manojmcn
11 months 21 days ago

True; Not all but there are a couple of id!ots among the moderators who think they own the world. Don’t care for them, just register again and comment.

There were cases when some one copy-pasted news from other sources but had some error. When I pointed out, they corrected the news, but deleted my comment. But there was another case when the author acknowledged in reply too.

Unlike other popular tech channels, some moderators here are extremely insecure.

manojmcn
11 months 21 days ago

Sammobile has been reporting that the alleged battery size for Note 5 is 4100mAh. Suddenly in this post this guy (Gensthaler) writes its 3220mAh (seems its edited out now). I put a comment asking why the contradiction now. Not sure what was wrong with the question, I see the comment has been deleted. Quite an arrogant moderator.

manojmcn
11 months 21 days ago

Lol the same guy is at it again. For the news titled “Samsung & LG increase production of flexible OLED displays” I spotted a mistake and commented under the news. Now I see the guy (same as this news) has corrected the news and deleted my comment. Is there no other person at Sammobile to control this guy? Did I comment anything wrong. If so, why did he correct the wordings in the news?

———- my comment ———–
“LCD panels brought a $131.4 billion in sales last year whereas in 2015 they only delivered $129 billion”
Seems something is wrong here. The figure for 2015 is the forecast for the entire year 2015 and not the actual figures. 2015 is barely half way through to give an actual data.

CodeNameRedNeck
11 months 22 days ago

I sure hope they are wrong about the processor. I would like more than what already came out earlier this year.

tpeter

No removable battery (+4000) , SD slot , IR blaster = no need new NOTE

Darkwing3
11 months 22 days ago

I don´t pay hundreds of dollars for a Note 5, that isn´t much better than my Note 4.
I don´t need a faster processor or 4 Gb of RAM, because my Note 4 works without any lags too and a camera update isn´t enough to pay so much money. Everything else seems to be the same. Primarily I need a SD-Card-Slot and the possibility to remove the battery.
If the rumors are true, I´ll stay with my Note 4 and wait for a really “new” Smartphone next year. The Note 5 seems to be an update of the Note 4 only.

robertkoa
11 months 21 days ago

Slight update but you will lose SD Card and swappable Battery on a Note 5 and have fragile glass back.
Note 4 is the best Android so far in many ways- too big for me but great Design and function. Note 5 seems like one step forward two steps back.

Phoenix2
11 months 22 days ago

But then remember that most people who’ll buy the Note 4 will be using older phones. I agree with you though, (if I had the money) I’d hesitate to jump to the Note 5 from my Note 4

DerpyNerd
11 months 22 days ago

I don’t care that much about the removable battery but it’s a step backwards for sure.

Proud note 1, 2, 3 and 4 owner.
I would say… if the storage options are free and adequate, I will buy the note 5, if not then good bye samsung.

But that means, when i’m on the road I won’t be able to access my files unless I use my data plan.

I hope this decision will bankrupt samsung…

Sugit Pupillam
11 months 22 days ago

I’ll be saving myself from: the frustration of no sd card, the lack of front speakers, and spending $300 or $400 dollars more when I dump my Note 3 and buy the Moto X Pure instead of this gilded turd. KMA Samsung

rainerm
11 months 22 days ago

I have a Note 1, Note 3 and I couldn’t wait for the Note 5.
But without Micro SD and exchangeable Battery, no way to buy it…

I still have some hope that these are just rumours. Hard to believe that they would unpack TWO (so said) “top” phones with both the same mistakes applied. A smart company would at least offer one REAL alternative.

I predict a good part of former Note buyers will switch to other vendors for the next 1-3 years. Any leaks yet on the specs of the Galaxy Note 7? This might be my next potential Samsung phone…

eaglevision
11 months 22 days ago

Not going to waste my money for another Samshit crap..

oldaro
11 months 22 days ago

No more Samsung for me. I have the Note 2 and this one has unique features in comparission with the S3. Samsung disappointed me with the Note 5; it is not revolutionar like the other Note’s. Note 5 is just a bigger S6 with a stylus and nothing more. My next phone will obviously be the LG G4 Pro (if the rumours are true).

Phoenix2
11 months 22 days ago

We don’t really know what the software will bring just yet… so who knows

TFShaw
11 months 22 days ago

Well I was looking forward to this and had planned on buying it to replace my aging GS4 but the Moto X Pure is looking better and better. I will wait and see what the Note 5 really has to offer. I know I’m not spending $800 to $1000 on a device which features that I like have been removed. Plus Samsung is always so slow to update Android. Other devices are definitely getting my attention.

gazadon
11 months 22 days ago

I am curious. What other manufacturer updates Android faster? Because I have been using samsung since the S2 and have used other manufacturers as well. Motorola, Sony & LG. And in my experience the Samsung devices get OS updates faster than the others. But I should mention that i don’t use carrier branded devices so i am wondering if you do.

thegeneral2010
11 months 22 days ago

Sammobile is really doing very weak effort when it comes to note 5 its 12 days now till the release if the phone and spec of note 5 is still not clear enough.

11 months 22 days ago

SamMobile?? Samsung Mobile you mean?

bkydcmpr
11 months 22 days ago

why do I need a phone like this when s6 is cheaper?

Join the premium experience - get 25% discount* Join the premium experience - get 25% discount* X