Samsung’s removed its Music and Video Player apps from the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge

Last night, during a dedicated Unpacked event in Barcelona, Samsung took the wraps off its latest flagship smartphones of 2016, the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge. After spending some time with the handsets, we quickly realized that the South Korean company had renewed its agreement with Microsoft to preload the firm’s productivity suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive and Skype) on both devices.

However, we’ve now discovered another software alteration that Samsung has made to the phones. This one’s a little peculiar, though. The manufacturer has removed both its stock Music and Video Player applications from the units and, instead, replaced them with Google Play Music and Google Play Movies. If users don’t want to take advantage of the search engine giant’s offerings, they can always download Samsung’s media tools from the Galaxy Store.

It’s unclear why Samsung has made this switch, but we presume it has something to do with the amount of content available through the Google Play Store. I, myself, am a subscriber of Play Music All Access and use it religiously on my Galaxy S6 edge+ — so it’s pretty safe to say that I’m happy with the company’s decision to axe its default services. After all, I can’t even remember the last time I opened Music Player.

music

Samsung Music and Video on the Galaxy Store.

Phones 22

India1
4 months 12 days ago

WTF is wrong with Samsung!! They are the best music & video apps. Though I do understand that you can download them but why remove them in the first place. Instead I would prefer Google’s bloatware like Google Play Music & Play Video to be removed.

jamboy300
5 months 1 day ago

Samsung must be losing thier fucking mind removing the Music and Video player from the S7. I hope they reverse this shit with the Note 6 when it come out smfh…. I never use Google play music nd I only use Samsung music app and thier video player is tell best. I start to take this shit personal like last year they remove the IR-BLASTER, something I use home and at my job all the time.

5 months 18 hours ago

Did you even read?? You can just download them from their store.

DjZiggy
5 months 1 day ago

The weirdest of all is, that the stock samsung player is better in audio quality then any other 3rd app

robbiekhan
5 months 1 day ago

Not an issue really. MX Player is the best video player out there and plays everything.

The only time I use any stock player is when I am casting the video to a smart tv set over dlna/widi. This is something only stock players seem to do well.

arbit1002
5 months 1 day ago

The Google apps are pretty inadequate. Cloud based usage, (a pain if you don’t have the right data plan), is just one part. Tough to use local media, incomplete features, and whatnot. The Samsung music and video apps are actually pretty good by themselves, and far better than the Google ones.

I suppose this is Google pushing for its software, and Samsung backing down. Personaly, Id prefer it the other way.

Albe95
5 months 1 day ago

At least they make them available from galaxy Apps. Great move Samsung.

KYS2012
5 months 1 day ago

Play Music and Play Movies are some of the app that I would not hesitate to disable once I got myself a new Galaxy. I’m very happy and contended with the stock players. Fortunately, these apps are still able to download from Samsung Store if Samsung decided to not bundle to all new Galaxy from now onwards. Phew…

Eclectified
5 months 2 days ago

I wish every manufacturer app & carrier app was like this. At the very least uninstallable/reinstallable via the Play Store.

The thing I hated from my old Note 3 was having multiple apps for the same stuff.
If I remember correctly, it was calendar(2x), music(2x), gallery(2x), email(3x), app store(2x), web browser(2x) and possibly others I can’t recall.

edubb256
5 months 2 days ago

So how would you play video files taken with your camera? I didn’t think Google Play Movies could play local video files.

svkhris
5 months 2 days ago

That’s too bad for not pre loading the samsung music app but atleast they made it available in the store. The Google music app is junk in my view. It has very basic functionality and also has limited Bluetooth functions when connected with a Car infotainment system. That’s why I always disable play music app and all of the Google Apps, they’re good for nothing.

Samsung’s video player has one of the best support for various codes. I don’t believe in play movies app.

ProdByEchelon
5 months 2 days ago

I use that music player all the time. I assume its there so it can also get updates.

LeifS
5 months 2 days ago

The Samsung Video Player is one of my favorite video players. It supports many codecs, integrates very well in to the rest of the system and I love that it has a switch to change the orientation without having to go into the quick settings. The Samsung Audio Player does also a decent job with its flac support and such things.

In my opinion the Google apps for music and video are worse, at least for local media.

lujki
5 months 2 days ago

On the other hand I can’t remember the last time I opened Google Play Music, or almost any of their Play servoces (besides store) for that matter, as it isn’t possible due to Google deciding not to bring it where I live. So, maybe if the goal was getting rod of bloatware they had better places to start from, rather than core system apps.

Danistop
5 months 2 days ago

I only use the stock music and video player from my note 4 to stream music or videos on my tv.

edismehmedali
5 months 2 days ago

Honestly I never use the stock music player on any phone I’ve ever had. I use poweramp

rocketosagie69
5 months 2 days ago

s7 look awesome but there is no ir blaster they should have introduce pressure sensitive display and bring back all the features on s5 such as air view, smart stay, smart scroll, smart pause and much more..

rocafella83
5 months 22 hours ago

I COULDN’T AGREE MORE WITH YOU!!! This was a BIG let down….. I’m glad I’m not the only person out there that thinks the same as you…. Maybe one day Samsung will FINALLY get it all right and into one phone…
S7 = Dissapointment..

j2001m
5 months 2 days ago

The wsj review of the s6 went on about there being 2 thing to do the same thing on the phones, so I be thinking that’s why they removed it

tswfootball
5 months 2 days ago

I don’t like this att all :/

Google Apps are always so “overdone” because they always have some “cloud” feature to it.

I used the stock music player on my gs6 all the time(when not using Spotify) and deactivate Google play music.

I saw that htc did the same thing and removed some of their stock apps on the one a9.

This is not a trend I’m happy about. If anything Google should stop forcing all their apps on users.

sammay69
5 months 2 days ago

Just downloaded the music a from the store then

abedgalaxy
5 months 2 days ago

it’s on samsung store not play store, you can download it easily…