Android 6.0.1 on Galaxy S6 and S6 edge brings slower, smoother scrolling in apps

Android has become a lot smoother in the last couple of years, but scrolling inside apps is still something that isn’t always as smooth as it should be, especially when compared to iOS. The same is the case on Samsung’s TouchWiz UX, but the Korean giant seems to have made a few changes to scrolling with the Android 6.0.1 beta for the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, as scrolling inside apps is now smoother and also a bit slower.

Android’s scrolling might not be as smooth, but it has always been convenient for those who want to scroll through something quickly. iOS, on the other hand, keeps things at a set pace, which might be what helps it keep everything smooth. Samsung seems to have taken a leaf from Apple’s book and reduced the speed of scrolling on Android 6.0.1, though this now affects the speed with which you can flick through a list. It’s a trade-off – you can’t move up and down as quickly as before, but there’s very little chance of any stutter creeping up when you’re scrolling through something.

Check out the video below to see exactly what we mean; this is beta software so Samsung could change things with future updates. Let us know if you like what Samsung has done, or whether you think the company should have left things as they were.

Firmware news 33

amanboss
5 months 10 days ago

When It Will Available For G925i Indian Version ??

DANN03

i like it

swatS
5 months 11 days ago

Its fast with me anyway..well done Sam.

olivierdo
5 months 11 days ago

hi i have the update.zip but how to install it in recovery??

MartinF15
5 months 11 days ago

Well wait for it!Don’t risk to brick your phone…

MStuart
5 months 11 days ago

It’s still much faster than on iOS, for those who haven’t actually tried already with the torchs and pitchforks.

MartinF15
5 months 11 days ago

I might have been rude in some comments but this is the truth for which I am sorry but why do you hate that samsung took some notes from ios???If samsung stuck on the same old way now people where going to be like ”Ahhh touchwiz is so slow and buggy ahhh samsung you are stupid”But now everything is so nice and awsome and fast!

Phoenix2

Because some people are still stuck in 2011 when the Galaxy S2 was launched

kukumjacka
5 months 12 days ago

there is no “final update” Things will keep improving steadily as they have done since the dawn of time.

NikosNx
5 months 12 days ago

Great change! It does not really mattter if it’s an iOS thing or something as most big players copy each other in such things. What matters is a good product for the consumer and smoother scrolling IS a good change.

twin2ab
5 months 12 days ago

why is it taking so long to release software update….the only positive aspect of Apple ios is how regular or fast software is released. I mean come on already how much months has it been…when can we expect update to S6 edge enough with the beta testing…..it’s irritating being constantly bombarded with little snippet concerning Marshmallow….enough with the mind games just release it….am also tempted to go back to Apple or any other alternative

Phoenix2
5 months 11 days ago

I’d rather see a great Marshmallow build that took time to beta test than a half-assed one that was rushed out the door (looking at you, LG)

chi-hin
5 months 11 days ago

Search HTC software update process, and it is explained. So you think the time between the date Apple announce a new iOS and the date it releases it is the time they take to develop and test it? No.

sammyboy95
5 months 12 days ago

What’s with all the whiners here? Samsung is actually trying the improve Android’s janky scrolling performance. Something that Googles hasn’t even completely fixed on Nexus devices. I swear, some of you just complain for no other reason than to complain.

harinsheth
5 months 12 days ago

Another bad copy from ios…

alireza7228
5 months 12 days ago

Near 7 introduced the Galaxy S and Galaxy S 6 update for Android 6 is not yet [ in Iran ]

evrisk
5 months 12 days ago

If you want to pay ugly phones made of plastic with band aid backs at a premium prices feel free to do it. I bought an S6 edge+ because of its design and build materials. If I’m to pay premium then I want premium as well. Samsung did right with the design. As for the removable battery and SD cards maybe SD cards will return. iPhones and Apple still sell like hot cakes. All Android companies taking cues from Apple. Scrolling feels clunky on the S6 and other Androids phones. Can’t see anything wrong with the decision to improve it. So stop crying and go buy another phone if you don’t like it.

MartinF15
5 months 11 days ago

Finally a smart person.Same here with the S6.

adam.kirby5
5 months 12 days ago

Sorry to disagree, but I own a good few phones, and in the list of phones I own lies the iPhone 6S Plus (as well as the Galaxy S6 which are my two main phones). The scrolling within apps is not ALL down to the performance of the phone and underlying software. The developers are mostly to blame for bad scrolling performance. On both Android and iOS, I have experienced apps that have really poor scrolling performance.

My preference for scrolling is mostly towards Android. Why? Because it is so much nicer. Your flick scrolls so much quicker and so much further. It’s just nicer… for me anyway. And whilst some apps, such as Google Play Store, have very stuttery scrolling, I find that Google Play Music for Android, messaging apps such as WhatsApp and the SMS messaging app and whatever else is nice, smooth, fast and just better than iOS in every way.

Going back to the developers point… GPM (Google Play Music) for Android scrolls really well and is fast, smooth and all of the other good stuff. However, GPM for iOS is really stuttery and poor and really puts me off. We’re sort of at the point where performance isn’t the issue. All modern CPUs can handle fast scrolling. I don’t ever see scrolling within apps a benchmark test point (I have actually seen long list scrolling on Windows as a test point, so I’m not ignoring it).

schiffer_480
5 months 11 days ago

Lol. You know little about how scrolling works don’t you? You don’t even know there IS a benchmark for scrolling (through web pages, that is).

adam.kirby5
5 months 6 days ago

Well, if you’re an expert, please explain where I have gone wrong. Please explain to me how a software feature (scrolling) is in some way only related to hardware capability. I have never claimed to know everything, nor do I pretend, however I am certainly interested in what you will have to say about scrolling being correlated only to the capabilities of the underlying hardware.

I’m so interested in your response as to why my iPhone 6S Plus cannot scroll through Google Play Music without stuttering like a nervous child with a tremor when it is only related to the hardware from your view.

When I have used AntuTu, Geekbench, 3D Mark or Quadrant to test the capabilities of the CPU and GPU in question, I haven’t ever seen scrolling as a test point. I may have just missed it because it wasn’t relevant and I wasn’t actually looking for it. I just said I have never seen it whilst testing. I don’t regularly test, in fact, I haven’t tested a phone in years, so it might have changed.

I turned off notifications to this thread as it was irritating having an email every 5 seconds. I’ll see how it goes with it turned on again.

schiffer_480
5 months 6 days ago

Lol. Nor did I. I may have not know everything but I think the article pointed it out. It depends (heavily) on the kernel side other than the apps (unless the app was really badly coded), since in my opinion there should’ve been a guideline to write *at least* standard good app for certain OS. I also played several months now tweaking the kernel to achieve the best scrolling experience. As for why your GPM in your iPhone isn’t as smooth as in your Android, my best guess would be either GPM is poorly coded for iPhone (intentional or not, and you should test other iPhones), or (I know it’s really really silly) it’s intentional for Apple to make it that way since they have the Apple Music. I know for sure Apple optimizes every apps on iPhone so that possibility shouldn’t be left out.

As for the benchmark, PC Mark is the name (I think it’s the same as 3D Mark you mentioned, not sure tho). I’m sorry I’ve been meaning to do inappropriate thing

adam.kirby5
5 months 5 days ago

Okay, so having initially mocked my comment you then repeat exactly what my comment said… Come on, do people just do this for attention? And just to reiterate what I said, I said that it is not ALL to do with the underlying software or hardware, the blame is also on the developers. You then repeated my exact words. Please save my time and in fact, everyone’s time.

dmakun
5 months 12 days ago

And Samsung continues to try to be more like Apple with every decision it makes on its devices that were already better than Apple’s since 2012. How stupid can a company get!? Samsung decides to go “premium” with metal and glass iteration of its erstwhile successful S & note series of phones in 2015 foregoing key features (removable battery & memory) just because it feels inferior to the All mighty Apple. And this just when Apple decides to build iPhones with “Samsungnesque” large screens resulting in record sales of the iPhone. I wonder how much money Apple will make when they build an iPhone with a removable battery and expandable memory now just when Samsung is too busy copying the current form of the iPhone?

sammay69
5 months 11 days ago

Are you stupid? If it wasn’t for Samsung iPhone 6/6s plus whould not be a fucking thing for Apple to make so thank Samsung for that. Samsung was really believing in big phone even when everyone was mocking Samsung back when they introduce the first note but did that stop Samsung no! They really wanted stand out by showing big phone can be useful example better batteries.

Apple pencil wounder where they got that idea from and the iPad pro Samsung had there Samsung galaxy tab pro with a stylus way before Apple. But Samsung was still smarter even if the made this tablet for good time ago. because they made space for the stylus inside the tablet. And not charging it on the side and the best thing is that Samsung isn’t selling the pen separated for 100 dollars! Lucky for use Samsung user whe get the pen with the tablet.

Apple isn’t really that creative because they have used a chip produced by Samsung. And now it’s rumored that Samsung and LG is going to make displays for the next iPhone. Well that’s interesting if you ask me. They really cant use there own display technology for the next iPhone?

And of course the Apple Watch was released in 2015 Apple’s first smartwatch. but then it was Samsung they released there first smartwatch in 2013. and now when Apple finally released a smartwatch when Samsung now have gone for round display because the square design is old and outdated.

And this slower scrolling is just a beta test not an official version they just trying it out and see if It’s something that could be nice to do. And are you really that angry because Samsung is just testing a scrolling method that apple uses.

Ruwin Daniel
5 months 12 days ago

Is Samsung going to update my note 5 directly to 6.0.1? If not then why is there a 6.0.1 beta when even 6.0 isn’t released ??

Phoenix2

The beta ends on the 18th

5 months 11 days ago

May I ask how you know this?

MartinF15
5 months 11 days ago

We dont know that but for sure they will update the note 5 to 6.0.1 not to 6.0 :)

ionutdicu
5 months 12 days ago

When is this BETA program going to end? And when is the Edge Plus going to receive the final update? LG and even Sony are far ahead, it’s an emberassment!

MartinF15

Ahh Sony hasn’t released 6.0

ANDROIDrouen
5 months 12 days ago

I don’t want apple stuff on my android phone. If samsung want to be an apple, i will have to change my phone. I want fast scrolling, and not ”smoothie” scrolling, why do they loose their time with such stupid useless ”update” …

NikosNx
5 months 12 days ago

It became a bit slower, and not like Apple’s implementation. So, it is a good change as Android phones need to be smoother (who disagrees with that, really). It’s not just called “Apple stuff” it’s an aspect that Apple is better at. It’s not black and white, and it’s not about choosing a football team and supporting everything it does. I am not saying you are a fanboy, for God’s sake I don’t even know you, but I want to make this clear to any readers coming across these comments.

Join the premium experience - get 25% discount* Join the premium experience - get 25% discount* X