Posted by Abhijeet M. 7 months ago

samsung-knox1

Samsung recently announced that its KNOX security suite would be opened for use to all consumers instead of those in enterprise. Samsung now seems to be in the process of getting things ready to reach that goal, as a new update is rolling out for the Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) in a few countries that adds the necessary system files for KNOX. The application itself is not yet ready for use, but the addition of the requisite files means we should see it all finalized in another update down the line (possibly through the Android 4.3 update).

For those wondering what KNOX does, it is basically a security platform that integrates itself with Android’s framework and the device hardware to create a “container,” a separate execution environment for apps to run and store data. Any apps that are run inside this environment have their data safe and sound from those outside it, allowing one to run trusted apps without fear of having their data compromised. The Galaxy Note 3 already supports it by default, and similar software updates will add the feature to the Galaxy S3 and Note II as well.

Details are scarce at this moment, but we’re in the process of flashing the new firmware to try things out, so be sure to check back later on for more information. For now, be sure to check if the update is available for your phone in Samsung’s Kies PC Suite, though it should be arriving over-the-air as well.

SamMobile: Please wait for your country to update.

18 comments on “Samsung Galaxy S4 update rolling out, seems to prep the device for use with KNOX

1. arovik 7 months ago said:

old news…

2. Kalaik 7 months ago said:

im get message on my samsung galaxy s4 this morning SECURITY POLICY UPDATE but allwaise show update failed!please help my sort this problem
    thanks

• AhmedAbdAlla 7 months ago said:
    • cos68 7 months ago said:

I have the same issue. I have tried to update via both WIFI and 3G network, but I always get an error that the update failed due to a network error.

• Said1995 7 months ago said:

Try with Kies

• cos68 7 months ago said:

Thanks for your suggestion, but I already tried that without any luck. Kies says no update available. However it is also not a regular update, but just a change to the Samsung security policy that I have to acknowledge.

• cos68 7 months ago said:

• Said1995 7 months ago said:

I just updated mines on Kies it worked, try go to Settings > More > Applications manager > All > Software update > Clear data and clear cache and let me know if it worked thanks

• Said1995 7 months ago said:

after that go to about device > Software update

• cos68 7 months ago said:

I have cleared the data and cache as you describe, but unfortunately it did not work. If I go to device -> Software update I get the message that no software update is available. The same if I check for updates in Kies.
            However I still get a message in the message bar that I need to confirm the new Samsung security policy.

3. ghostman88ro 7 months ago said:

Weird… i have Knox on my S4 for a while now… i saw it in app info running.. software is I9505XXUDMH6 … been a while since the update

4. Sammy9k 7 months ago said:

Does this means more lag?

5. sisqo bogdan 7 months ago said:

Hello
    I have I9505XXUBMG7 4.2.2 android ,and i have KNOX in me phone.
    All the phone Samsung S4 have KNOX.

6. manjon 7 months ago said:

Good morning, i updated my galaxy sy 4 I9505, and after this, i reseted factory my celular. after this, it is with conflict, and the phone turn off alone, and when i turn on, it dont turn on. I need to plug the phone in the outlet to turn on. The problem start after de update Knox + factory reset. Can you help me what can i do? Can do the downgrade before the knox?

7. Punisher85 7 months ago said:

no you can’t downgrage because we can use odin to flash new/old firmware
    - It is not possible to downgrade the firmware or bootloader version without KNOX. The very attempt to upload an older firmware Resets the state to 0×1.

8. jordanvanbergen 7 months ago said:

I’m very angry about these “security” updates. The user experience has dropped. I can’t connect to my NAS using Total commander and the NAS plugin any longer because of this update.

Anyone a solution on how to be able to connect using SAMBA to a SMB share on your Samsung Galaxy S4 system after the “security” update.

Samsung is frustrating a user now as my user experience is down the drain.