The US will only get the 32GB Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge

Last year, Samsung took away the microSD slot from its flagships. It has come back this year with the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, but it looks like the company is taking that as an excuse to take away the internal storage options for major markets. It was reported before the announcement that a few markets in Europe would not get the 64GB model, and Samsung has confirmed that that will be the case for the US as well.

With the inclusion of expandable storage that shouldn’t trouble most consumers, though it is still a bit disappointing that consumers in one of the largest smartphone markets will have to do with only 32GB of internal storage, especially if they install a lot of apps and games that take up storage space on the inbuilt memory. Android 6.0 does offer the adoptable storage feature for treating external memory as internal storage, but we’re not sure if the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge will include this feature (the LG G5 doesn’t, and from what we hear neither do the S7 or S7 edge).

Perhaps this is Samsung’s admission that expandability is more important than everything else when it comes to smartphone storage, but in any case, it is what it is. Let us know what you think of Samsung’s decision to only launch the 32GB model of its new flagships in many markets, and whether you plan on buying either of the two devices when they hit retail and carrier stores in mid-March. Oh, and don’t forget to check out our hands-on experience with Samsung’s new beauties.

galaxy-s7-galaxy-s7-edge-official-7

Phones

Nine54
9 months 11 days ago

I think this is a mistake unless they end up launching an even larger (maybe 128GB) version in the US at the same price as a 64GB variant. Expandability is definitely not more important than anything else when it comes to storage as history shows that users of devices with the SD card option do not leverage it.

rocafella83
9 months 11 days ago

Is Samsung serious?!? Listen I’ve been a die hard Samsung fan for the last 5 years… I got the S3, S4, S5, S6 Edge and the Gear S2… So needless to say I waited all year for yesterday’s announcement… I have to say I’m extremely let down by Samsung they really failed this year… They are advertising IP68 and Micro-sd slot like it’s something new and exclusive…. Um I do believe my S5 have that and granted they got rid of it in the S6 (which they should have never got rid of it to begin with)… So now I hear nothing but let downs with those S7… No more IR blaster which I know they didn’t put in the Note 5 either which was stupid because people complained and I use it all the time for my tv, a.c., etc… Now it’s only 32gb in the US?!? Samsung just can’t seem to get it right… Don’t get me started on no USB-C or the long rumored iris scanner that… they may seem gimmicky but they would be useful and cool… I always defend Samsung but I won’t lie I’m really let down this year and this will probably be the first year I skip a Galaxy…. I almost feel like this S7 and S7 edge are like a “s” version in the sense iPhone puts out a phone with major changes every other year and in between they call it the 5s or the 6s… well looks like Samsung followed suit and this should be called the Galaxy S7s and the S7 Edge(s) because they didn’t bring much to the table this year… Not even the rumored BRITECELL camera sensor…. Yeah it’s great they brought back IP68 and Micro-sd but they should have never got rid of them to begin with… They are constantly changing things and for the first time it’s starting to get annoying…. If it’s not broke don’t fix it Samsung….

ADeeb.
9 months 12 days ago

Can i use the microSD slot as a secondary SIM slot?

sammay69
9 months 12 days ago

Can someome tell me the difference between adoptive storage and integrated? Because I don’t have a clue

Thjothrekurhaavard
9 months 12 days ago

Integrated is the one that comes with the phone, adoptive is expandable storage as an sd card but with marshmallow it’ll treat it and recognize it as the same as integrated, it wont be able to tell the difference.

sammay69
9 months 12 days ago

thx for the answer

skezza64
9 months 12 days ago

Would be better if it didn’t treat memory cards as a separate memory and just integrated both

stevent64
9 months 12 days ago

i personally think internal memory is way better, it wasn’t until i got a s6 edge and my custom set message and ring tone not being reset that i realised that it was a memory card issue plus they phone will need to use addition resources to read sd card files so it would perform a bit slower when the card is in

davidatscpc
9 months 12 days ago

The 64GB version isn’t available via Telstra here in Australia, so this is probably a deal breaker for me. I currently have a HTC One XL with 32GB of memory (and only 7.5GB for app storage) and I’ve had to uninstall heaps of apps in the last 6 months due to “insufficient memory”/app storage when updates came through. Unless the app storage memory isn’t going to be an issue, I’ll be looking elsewhere for my upgrade – maybe HTC One M10?? Very disappointing yet again Samsung.

davidatscpc
9 months 12 days ago

UPDATE: When inserting a microSD into the phone you can initialise it as a “portable card” or as “internal Storage”. They do however recommend a UHS-1 type card to ensure smooth, seamless photo, video & app bandwidth usage between the card and phone. See http://www.techtimes.com/articles/98437/20151022/android-6-0-marshmallow-lets-you-use-your-sd-card-as-internal-storage.htm Can SAMMOBILE please confirm that this is the case with the S7 and S7 Edge?

Solun
9 months 13 days ago

If the S6 edge+ had a 128 gigs option, I would go for it. Now I will have to go with the 32 gigs S7 with 128 gigs SD card and have those annoying card-phone transfers :(

Solun
9 months 13 days ago

I would prefer a 128 gigs option universal storage with no need to hassle with transfers between SD card and the phone storage all the time. But users want everything to be complicated so let them have it…

Kelddaug
9 months 13 days ago

According to Samsung Nordic, it will option to use sd as adoptive storage.

Kelddaug
9 months 13 days ago

Different danish tech sites also write about that option.

billywongwashere
9 months 13 days ago

As a s6 owner and a phone freak, i am interested in the s7 but maybe tempted to wait and see about reports of how well the sd acard works. Though i rarely have that many apps and zero games. 32 gb is enough as long as its seemless for the camera photos and storage of movies/media

Hoggington
9 months 12 days ago

I think the SD card will be faster than ever. Especially with Marshmallow officially supporting them again…. Plus SD cards are getting faster themselves, with the latest U3 speed ratings for 4k vids etc.

32gb of internal storage on a flagship phone is just silly though. 128gb should be the min in 2016.

Nevertheless… Edge here I come! :)

t4d73
9 months 12 days ago

It’s being reported that Samsung and lg have decided not to use SD as adaptive storage. I would link it but I’m not sure if sammobile would like that but simple Google search and you’ll find it. Stupid of them to do this. That was the one of the best features of Marshmallow.

t4d73
9 months 12 days ago

There is no SD support from Samsung or LG g5 as a second storage option.