Samsung Pay won’t work on rooted devices

Samsung Pay was announced back in March this year alongside the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge, the payment service supports both near field communication (NFC) and magnetic secure transmission (MST) which allow merchants to accept payments using Samsung Pay without having to purchase any costly equipment. The company has started a live trial of the service on a limited scale in South Korea and those who are looking forward to using it should keep in mind that Samsung Pay won’t work if you have rooted your device.

It has not been confirmed as yet precisely when Samsung Pay is going to be launched in South Korea and the United States, it could happen next month alongside the Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ launch. Once the service goes live in the launch markets Samsung will then work on expanding it to other markets across Europe and China. Users will have to ensure that their devices are not rooted or else they will not be able to use Samsung Pay, if a user with a rooted device does try using Samsung Pay they will be presented with an error message which prompts them that “Samsung Pay has been locked due to unauthorized modification.” This means that users will have to choose between the two, either they can keep their rooted device or give that up for the luxury of paying through their Samsung smartphone.

samsung-pay-rooted-prompt

Phones 11

sniickers
11 months 20 days ago

Google wallet works on rooted devices. Besides I like the coin, strata, etc solutions till everyone gets on board with nfc payments. Either way Google wallet works while rooted, you can link any account to it. You can save your coupons and store rewards on it too. I would like to use Samsung pay, but I need root. Heck it would have been nice to have nfc in my gear s.

deardevil
11 months 28 days ago

you already report this weeks ago.of course it doesnt. and its good that works that way because its a matter of security.its like when you login in a online back.they dont keep youre credentials .its for a good reason.security matters. why all the fuzz about this if we already know that.for example i could use contactless payment on my old device with vodafone uk if i had root,or i couldnt login on their app to make transfers on my phone if my phone was rooted.

kronicle
11 months 29 days ago

Well of course it won’t work on rooted devices! haha…. It requires KNOX Full Security Suite to even operate! lol…. even Android Pay is getting KNOX Security features, in latest Android release. Apple is still struggling to beat out the jailbreakers on their devices with Apple Pay, even with fingerprint required! lol…. Get Real!!! :D ……I certainly wouldn’t use it you could use it on rooted devices!!!

Apple Pay with fingerprint required, can still be jailbroken. Even though it now at least resets Apple Pay, forcing the Jailbreaker to find out the hard way, when they go up to pay in public transaction, their cards profile has been reset! ;-P …….which proves why DoD and NSA have only approved KNOX devices to run on their closed Secure Network. Which also won’t work on rooted phones!!! :DDD

btw…. now just wait till Samsung’s Stanford U’s SRI developed “Iris on Move (IoM)” Security comes to Samsung’s phones and Gear Watches (already launched on latest Galaxy Tab)! lol… We’ll even hear more crying about not being able to use it on rooted devices too!!! haha…. I gave up on rooting a year ago, because it’s just not worth it!

tsabrak
11 months 29 days ago

If there wouldn’t be other way to pay then I wouldn’t root my phone. Until then root and exposed framework gives me more options to secure myself and makes my life easier.

davidksims
11 months 29 days ago

I rooted my Note 2 a few months after I got it new. 6 days later I put it back to stock! I currently seen no benefit to root with Samsung’s current new devices (Note 4 or 12.2″ Note Pro specifically!) JMO

harryisme
11 months 29 days ago

Well rather this that suffer from the backlash if hackers find a way to access credit card details from rooted phones. Unless Samsung can manage to lock out Samsung Pay completely from the OS then this is the way to go.

deardevil
11 months 28 days ago

they had find a way it call by the name of knox,or if you put root on youre device they wont let you use this feature,for me its how samsung managed that problem plain and simple.

Wilksie
11 months 29 days ago

Agree on this.

When financial data is concerned it’s better to be safe so think unrooted is the safest way.

ruben2s
11 months 29 days ago

What if I unroot my s6 before using samsung pay?

plumi10
11 months 29 days ago

It depends how you rooted it if you used pingpong root for rooting your phone then you can reinstall the OS with Smart Switch and then you should be able to use Samsung Pay when it’s available in your country. If you flashed your s6 during the root process there’s no change of Samsung Pay to work on your phone.

I rooted my s6ege with pingpong root and then reinstalled the OS with Smart Switch and now Status in Download Mode is official and my e-fuse isn’t broken and i’m running Knox on my phone.

masterross
11 months 29 days ago

your knox is broken so forget about any samsung security support

Join the premium experience - get 25% discount* Join the premium experience - get 25% discount* X