[STATEMENT] Samsung’s Clear View case for Galaxy S6 and S6 edge responsible for scratches on the screen?

Samsung has released a number of official cases and covers for the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge. One of such cases and covers is the Clear View case, which has a transparent flip cover, letting you see what’s on the display and it can even register touch inputs. That’s great, isn’t it? However, all is not well with the case. Apparently, people are facing issues with the Clear View case, as it is scratching the display of the device, even though it is supposed to save the device from scratches in the first place.

A Galaxy S6 edge user has posted pictures of his device on XDA forums, and you can see a number of scratches on the display. Apparently, the device is just two weeks old, and he started using the Clear View case from the first day itself. In spite of the user’s best efforts to save the device from scratches, he is facing this issue. Annoyed with the issue, the user has contacted Samsung UK, and is awaiting a reply. He has advised others to not use the Clear View case for the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge. We have faced this issue ourselves, and both our devices have scratches on the screen due to this case.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Screen Scratches Clear View Case

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Screen Scratches Clear View Case

You can clearly see some scratches and scuffs on the screen of our Galaxy S6 edge in the image below.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Screen Scratches Clear View Case

Also Read: Samsung Galaxy S6 edge Clear View Cover debacle

Apart from this, the case also lacks functionality. We experienced that the case doesn’t add any functionality other than answering the calls and viewing notifications. It doesn’t let you interact with notifications, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of a touch sensitive clear view cover. Looks like this product from Samsung is a huge failure. Have you noticed any other issue with your Clear View cover for the Galaxy S6 or S6 edge? Let us know your experience with the case in the comments section below.

Update: Samsung has informed us that it is aware of the issue and is currently investigating the same. Also, our local repairman has told us that the top layer of the Corning Gorilla Glass on these phones is a bit weak, which might be one of the reasons why the screens are scratching so easily. Samsung didn’t offer any more details, but as always, we will be sure to let you know of any further developments.

Update 2. Official statement: Samsung takes product quality and customer satisfaction very seriously. We have received few reports regarding potential scratches on the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge screens caused by particles getting trapped between a phone’s screen and a clear view cover case.  We encourage Samsung customers with questions about the quality of their device or cover case to call us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG so we can address their concerns.

We called with Samsung Benelux and they told us to send in the following things:
- Pictures of display and cover.
- IMEI number (can be found on the back of the phone or box).
- Serial number (No idea why probably cause of fake chinese models).
- Modelcode (Easy, check about device).
- Proof of purchase (phone + cover).

Source

Phones

Gagan2013
4 months 11 days ago

Similar issues are with S7 Edge Clear View Cover as well, within Three weeks of use have caused scratches on my S7 edge near the edges :’(

Please guide to take-up this appropriately

PS: Does not recommend to buy S7 edge Clear View Cover at all…..!

vikrant7050
1 year 8 days ago

By mistake I purchased a Samsung product, S6 Edge plus Phone. And also purchased its compatible flip cover from Samsung showroom only that to manufactured by Samsung. Now my phone screen and side aluminium is damaged, when I took the phone to the service centre they told me that it is damaged because of this flip cover. Then I logged in complaint to customer care – 8472302447 and submitted my phone to service centre, now since from 5 days I haven’t received any positive feedback from those customer care people, they are so casual that I feels like I am a stupid who spent 60k over their company. I thought Samsung is highly professional company but after such kind of response I am really not able to understand why this company doing this

afteralter
1 year 5 months ago

Where can I find this official statement from Samsung (like an official Samsung website)? The retailers here in the Philippines are not aware of this issue, and surprisingly, Samsung Mobile Philippines doesn’t, too. I want to show the official statement to them because they think Sam Mobile isn’t a legitimate source. Thank you very much.

GamerFrom78
1 year 6 months ago

This sucks, but doesn’t surprise me. Take two hard surfaces, put an abrasive inbetween them and have movement and you will have scratches. The case was poorly designed, Samsung sees that and apparently, they are starting to make it right by fixing affected handsets.

It’s the biggest reason why I don’t use flipcases like this. I have a CaseLogic branded case I bought from Amazon on my phone. It is a black rubber case with a red leather back. The side is a hard plastic trim in a gold tone that closely matches the color of my phone. I have a ballistic glass screen protector on the front. The rubber of the case is pretty much concealed except for the protective ridge along the front. So you see a red leather back with gold trim. The protruding camera is also protected as the back sticks out farther. It’s a very nice case that adds minimal bulk, comes in a variety of colors/styles and protects your device while keeping it classy. The ballistic glass screen protector is shiny, beautiful with an oleophobic coating and it feels just like you are touching your screen with no protector at all. Oh, and the case was only $15 US.

lumos5
1 year 6 months ago

Had mine scratched and went to a walk-in centre, they inspected it and confirmed to the samsung representative over the phone that it was caused from the case and they are replacing the screen for free. I will return the case too. This was stressful finding scratches the case is very badly designed but at least they are replacing the parts. I read somewhere else that the other cases are also causing scratches. Screen protector is a must

ea452
1 year 6 months ago

Bu sorun aynısı bende de var. Türkiye samsung çok ilgisiz davrandı. ne yapacağımı bilemiyorum.

chahbi3b

i’m from morroco ,and i have the same issue with my Edge 6
very very disappointment :(

ch061441
1 year 6 months ago

same problem!!! screen scratches!!! I have my S6 Edge since 3 weeks and from first day I have used the S-View Flip cover, it has lot of scatches on the display, don´t buy the samsung flip cover.
I had the S2, S3, S4 and S5 and no problems with all older Devices, now the newste, over 1000 CHF and after just few weeks looks like it is 5 years old, I never had such scratches on all my old smartphones.
I sent it back to Samsung, now waiting for Samsung response.

nrec2000
1 year 6 months ago

same problem!!! screen scratches!!! don´t buy any samsung flip cover. All scratch screens!!! In previous s5 model i was same damage.

jlrubio1

Sorry but I don’t write English language,
Bonjour, effectivement en regardant de plus près l’écran est bien abimé par le clear cover. Dommage au vu du prix et du verre censé inrayable. J’ai mis une protège écran du coup moins pratique pour les bords. Déçu que Samsung pense au profit avant la qualité. Il pense à la concurrence avant de tester ses produits et de sortir des produits finis. Ceci se confirme d’autant plus que j’ai une Gear S depuis Décembre et la le chargeur vient de casser ( c’était à prévoir au vu du système d’accroche) mais quand même.
Attendons de voir la réaction de Samsung car ils le méritent quand même au vu des efforts!

julianm98
1 year 6 months ago

Ive had my clear view cover for 4 days now and no scratches. Whats worst than that is that is doesnt even work! could anyone tell me why my phone doesnt detect the clear view cover and DOESNT show the clock and everything? although the screen turns on when i open the case. PLEASE HELP!

Roumiaou
1 year 6 months ago

Had the same frustrating experience here. The cover is way too pricy and it f**** my s6 edge screen unacceptable.
You can clearly make the difference with aa “usual” scratch on the screen, accidental or not. This is lame work & engineering, Samsung.

joels1988
1 year 6 months ago

Can anyone who is defending this product for any reason please leave the discussion. I paid over a grand for this, got the official case, it messed up my screen within 4 uses, this is not acceptable for how much we pay. In fact it goes against Consumer Guarantee as it is not fit for purpose.

lonewolf083

flap cover on my ex HTC One M7 never scratch the screen in 2 years

Tifa Lockhart
1 year 6 months ago

Is there any responses from Samsung yet?

hebobo
1 year 6 months ago

I work at a retail store, and just got word that samsung will exchange units that has been scratched by those covers… i dont know how it will work, but it seems like samsung know it is an issue.

galijanach
1 year 6 months ago

If this is true that is great news to everyone that have been affected by this case. Please feel free to post any updates on my XDA thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6-edge/accessories/samsung-view-case-scratched-screen-t3107467/

Tifa Lockhart

Woah, really? It’s nice then,
I hope it’s true, and will happen in all regions.

rezldy
1 year 6 months ago

sam problem here, just realised and wipe my screen and there is a lot of straches.. :( i am so mad whyyyyy
hope samsung can do something, the case is pretty expensive though…

vipccomputers
1 year 6 months ago

Dust between the cover and the screen is responsible. I was seeing it too and removed the clear view cover as well…

zantic
1 year 6 months ago

I used to have the same situation with my LG G3 and Spigen slim armor flip case but I had screen protector and no damage was made. I’ve ordered Clear View case for my S6 edge few days ago together with the screen protector. Don’t use any flip case without it!

adison35
1 year 6 months ago

Samsung Thailand has a campaign buy S6 get free Samsung’s Clear View case. All of customers who have purchased from this campaign has this problem!

1 year 6 months ago

You have any proof of that?

emieltess
1 year 6 months ago

It’s only partially the covers fault.

The reason here is sand, sand is a b●tch when combined with other things. In this case it was the cover, sand got inbetween the cover and the screen and thanks to the friction made in the pockets of your jeans the sand behaved like sandpaper. Now I haven’t yet seen a single screen including gorilla glass 3-4 survive sanding without damage.

The best thing you can do to avoid this is to use a screenprotector or a case that doesn’t cover the screen.

1 year 6 months ago

Like I said before this is not true. The other cases kinda suck vacuum because of the soft touch on the inside. That way it prevents dust and other things from coming in…

yeye2
1 year 6 months ago

used cover cases since S2 and never got a single problem with scratches, Used clearview 3 weeks, got the screen full of, so clearly samsung design is faulty

phanservicex
1 year 6 months ago

ANY flipcase will scratch your phone because little dust gets between the screen and the cover.

Tifa Lockhart
1 year 6 months ago

Well, no, I used an S-View Cover on my GS5 and didn’t find any scratches.
Only this Clear-View Cover does scratches to my phone. Really.

1 year 6 months ago

That is simply not true what you are telling here. A friend of mine has a Note 4 with a cover from Samsung only this is a soft touch and his screen is in mint condition!

His cover sucks vacuum of some sort so that there cant be and dust in between.

If used mine for like 2 or 3 days and I have severe pits in my screen, while I always look if their isn’t something in between the screen and the case.

How come that everyone is having the same problem and the exact same scuffs?

tomkungnarak
1 year 6 months ago

As a S6 Edge user, I can confirm you that this case does really cause the scratches on your screen. I got my phone on April 20 and used it without a screen protector without any scratches for 2 weeks.

The night I got my Clear View cover (around 8 p.m.) I had installed a screen protector prior. This due to it is widely reported in Thailand’s biggest online webboard; http://pantip.com/topic/33620302 that many people are having problems from the clear view covers scratch their screen. After put mine on over night, and just left it on a wireless charger, the next morning I already have a few scratches on the film (luckily) that I applied before putting the case on.

Some people contacted Samsung and got a phone replaced. Some got just the screen replaced. Some didn’t get any feedback back so it’s really is a case by case…for now.

So, if you are using this case be aware that the it can cause your screen some scratches. This is even if you clean both case (outside and inside) rigorously and often.

bluff master
1 year 6 months ago

Same issues found scratches…. very very disappointment.
contacted Samsung service and waiting for their response.

emieltess

Goodluck with that
Just take a cover that doesnt lay over the screen, a bumpercase for example or a bumpercase with a glass screenprotector if you are worried about the screen the next time.
These flap cover things are the worst things you can get when it comes to protecting your phone. If sand comes inbetween the cover and you screen and you put it in your pocket the friction on the device will make the cover/sand act like sandpaper, and no screen until now and I bet that includes sapphire glass can survive sanding.

K1tty74
1 year 6 months ago

Thank god, I saw this article. I pre-order the silver one via Amazon but I cancelled it. I don’t upgrade my phone too often. I’m coming from S3 to S6. I like keeping my device in a mint condition. I purchased a
CHEAPER wallet case from Groupon. It’s a shame that Samsung didn’t do testing before release the case.