Posted by Abhijeet M. 5 months ago

[Video] Galaxy S5 triumphs in drop test, puts the Galaxy S4 to shame

s5-s4-drop-test-feature

The Galaxy S4 was far from the most durable Samsung smartphone the world has seen, with many instances of the phone getting heavily damaged from incidents that would otherwise just put a scratch or two on other phones. Naturally, that has led us to wonder how the Galaxy S5 would hold up – sure, it has a new dimpled design on the back that makes it feel incredible to hold and it’s IP67 certified for water- and dust-resistance, but do those factors mean the handset is more durable than its predecessor was?

Well, it turns out the answer is yes, from what can be seen in another of those cringe-inducing drop tests that people like to carry out whenever a new flagship phone comes out. The folks over at TechSmarrt took the Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy S5 and subjected both devices to a series of bumps and falls to see which would be more durable, dropping them from varying height levels. Both phones handled the torture quite well, but while the Galaxy S4′s screen was cracked from the third fall, the Galaxy S5 managed to make it out with only visual dents and a crack on the camera glass on the back.

In fact, the Galaxy S5 managed to hold its ground even after being run over by an SUV, which goes to show the work Samsung has apparently put in to make sure its latest flagship does not succumb to the same durability issues its predecessor did.

Well, don’t take our word for it, go ahead and check out the drop test in the video below.

12 comments on “[Video] Galaxy S5 triumphs in drop test, puts the Galaxy S4 to shame

1. gtone339 5 months ago said:

More rugged than it’s predecessor! Next focus, stronger camera glass. :)

2. rslm2006 5 months ago said:

Nice test but that is why I always use a rugged rubber within plastic type case on my phones. I have thrown it across the room to prove to friends and family that they need to get one also.

3. tigernewskai 5 months ago said:

Idiots with Droptests. I cant beleave it.

4. cpuexpress 5 months ago said:

that’s quite amazing but since few people keep an expensive phone like that without a case on it I find the video a mute point. I have an otterbox on my S4 and have dropped it from as much as 20 ft and no break.

5. wlkoff 5 months ago said:

Nice test, good to see the improvement. As mentioned the camera glas is the next step :-) Thanks for the vid

6. adeleon86 5 months ago said:

Wow, pretty impressive!

7. jessmoll 5 months ago said:

Plastic shat s2, s3, s4, and now s5…….try the hammer test….

8. tarak_sarkar 5 months ago said:

My S4 dropped two times from my hand and one time my 3 yrs old son dropped on the floor, nothing happened …

so as per this video S4 screen broken after the drop, its not shame for the S4 its shame for Samsung

9. VinayVandale 5 months ago said:

Love Samsung Galaxy S5…….
    Wanna buy it …but I can’t due financial problem…..:-(