Samsung rolls out Android 4.4.2 KitKat update to the Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500)

It looks like Samsung wants to update its last year’s flagship devices to the latest version of Android, 4.4.2 KitKat, before the release of its next flagship device, the Galaxy S5. After the Galaxy Note 3, Samsung has now started rolling out Android 4.4.2 KitKat to the Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500).

The latest Android 4.4.2 update brings minor UI changes, the most noticeable change being the use of KitKat style white status bar icons instead of the multi-colour icons Samsung has been using in all of its devices until now. The phone has also received a performance boost with the latest update and there is an increase in benchmark scores, as well. Samsung has improved the lock-screen by adding a camera shortcut directly on to the lock-screen for quick access and while playing music the album art now shows up in full screen. Samsung’s keyboard layout has been improved for use in landscape mode, which makes gesture typing easy and much faster. Core Android 4.4.2 changes include: wireless printing, new emojis support, choice between stock messaging app and Hangouts for SMS/MMS, option for changing default launchers under settings, and more.

The software update is being rolled out in phases, so it may not yet be available in your country at the moment but don’t worry it will arrive very soon. If your device is carrier branded then it might take sometime as the update has to get improved by the carrier first and only then Samsung will make it available for your device.
SAMSUNG CSCTo update your Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat, connect your device to your computer and use Samsung Kies or simply use Samsung’s OTA (over-the-air) service. To download and install the firmware via OTA, go to Settings > More > About Device > Software update > Update.

Model: GT-I9500
Country: Russia
Version: Android 4.4.2
Changelist: 699287
Build date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:33:19 +0000
Product Code: SER

All new Android 4.4 KitKat Firmwares for the Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) are present in our Firmware Portal, as well. You can use our Firmware Portal to manually update your device if for some reason you can’t officially update your device via Samsung Kies or via OTA as you might be using a Custom ROM or if your country has not yet received the Android 4.4 KitKat update. Also, bookmark this page as we will keep this page up to date with the latest information on countries and carriers releasing the new update.

Firmware news 146

1 year 5 months ago

Please the wifi doesn’t work anymore what to do i really need it :/

1 year 5 months ago

Please update Galaxy S 4 i9192 4.4.2

Brahim idou
1 year 5 months ago

June 2014 and Still unvailable in Morocco.
Galaxy s4 (I9500)

1 year 6 months ago

my samsung gt-i900 made in vietnam
am updated to 4.4.2 india version. After updating showing emergency calls only please help me

1 year 7 months ago

Hola que tal este post ya tiene varios días incluso meses de q salio, poseo un S4 I9500 y aun no obtengo la version 4.4.2 Kitkat ….. alguien me puede ayudar?????

Saludos….. :D

1 year 7 months ago

Another BUG : active multiwindow and run two apps for example chrome and whats app then tap create for creating these windows . Ok now uninstall whats app then go to multiwindow tray and you can see the bug!

1 year 7 months ago

BUGS:1.go to application manager then go to running tab and you see remaining RAM bottom of screen. Then touch right side of “Ram” then you can see the bug! (Swithech to cached process)
2. In home screen ( every screen which back of notification area isn’t black) then just scroll down the notification and then scroll up you can see the black level remains for 1 second.
Missing features: 1. Hiding apps on app drawer.
2. Slow speed when in app drawer and pressing menu.
3. Eye icon is shown just when smart feauturea going to active

1 year 7 months ago

hola les hago una consulta acabo de actualisarlo y me quede si señal de mi operador. pleaseee muchas graciassss

1 year 7 months ago

Hi Everybody, Im From South Africa and We all Here are having problems with note 3 Firmware version 4.3 Wifi will Not Detect and Scan And if it does Scan an Available network when we enter the password.It still Just Bombs out and Doesnt Connect.Samsung Says in South Africa That Untill Version 4.4.2 gets released here those errors will be fixed.If i Download version 4.4.2 KIT KAT from any other country over sammobile ,and load on Device using ODIN3.Will these errors be fixed??

1 year 7 months ago

Probably it will.

1 year 8 months ago

KK 4.4.2 in Brazil OTA finally!!!

1 year 7 months ago

kk 4.4 in Brazil working just fine!

1 year 8 months ago

When the update is released for Iran?
Model i9500
I’m living in Tehran.

1 year 8 months ago

i didnt get kitkat update in my S4 (I9500) in Nepal yet, please confirm whether the kitkat update is available in Nepal or not?

1 year 8 months ago

Android Kit Kat for S4 (i9500) is now available in Malaysia. thanks Samsung.

1 year 8 months ago

after updating to 4.4.2 kitkat, alarm notification doesn’t work with s-view cover closed. The slider to snooze/turn off the alarm doesn’t appear in the s-view window instead it has shifted just below the window (can see by opening the cover slightly)

1 year 8 months ago

Update in other countries too slow! Maybe they have some problems with this update. i9505 rolled out after and already have OTA in Brazil! i9500 nothing!

1 year 8 months ago

Please make it available for Iran sooooon :$

1 year 8 months ago

When will the update be release for middle east countries. specifically in kuwait

1 year 8 months ago

I’ve upgraded to 4.4.2 and I’m in South Africa. After the update I can’t connect to the network. Please Help!!!

1 year 8 months ago

Which network and which country version of kit kat?

I’m on vodacom running the russian on. Noticed the battery drains quicker than before. Will try and flash another one.

1 year 8 months ago

1 year 9 months ago

Guys I’m living in Kerala and still haven’t got any OTA update! I even tried connecting to kies and still it says i’m on latest firmware!! What to do?

1 year 9 months ago

I am facing MTP issue after upgrade to Kitkat.. PC is not detecting MTP mode.

Tried below:
1) I have re-installed drivers (USB)
2) I have uninstalled everything related to Kies3
3) Tried install automatically. no luck

Please share your thoughts about this case if you have come across this.

1 year 9 months ago

This ver with a loot of bugs.

1 year 9 months ago

The phone is getting overheat, no immersive mode, no ART, exagerated BATTERY DRAINs!, Lockscreen still no have access to widgets during pattern lock, or pin. i did a clean installation, and there is no significative changes… the only improve that i have seen is the landscape keyboard, and the color optimization.

1 year 9 months ago

Trust me, the battery drain is due to Google Now’s latest update. trying switching it off and see the difference.

1 year 9 months ago

I hope the updates for uae come quickly as you can please

1 year 9 months ago

Hi guys,

I have a question for those users who have already updated their phones to the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Samsung (not custom ROMs). Are you experiencing any issues accessing your SD cards? Any problems with trying to delete or rename or modify, etcc… a file in “App B” which was created in “App A”? Any disadvantages with updating from Android 4.3 Jelly Bean to Android 4.4.2 KitKat?

1 year 9 months ago

Yes. I have the writing issue of external SD card for some of 3rd party’s applications. I have not ever experienced such thing when flashing so many stock roms from 4.2.2 till 4.3. Do hope SS will resove it soon as this is a major issue that may downgrade the value of Kitkat OS.