Posted by Abhijeet M. 6 months ago

kitkat-feature

Earlier this month, a leak bought an unofficial list of devices that would be getting updated to Android 4.4 KitKat, at least in the U.S.. Today, Samsung USA has decided to make things official and has announced which of its phones and tablets will be getting the KitKat update, with many of the devices that were named in the leak actually included in the official list, including low-end devices like the Galaxy Tab 3 and the Galaxy S III mini (the upgraded model with LTE launched last year on AT&T and Verizon, not the international variant that came out in 2012.)

If you’re rocking a Galaxy Note 3 or Galaxy S4, expect to see a notification for the update today itself, especially if you’re on Sprint or US Cellular, as Samsung mentions that it will start rolling out starting today, confirming earlier leaks that suggested the update would be making its way to devices on the two networks.

Here’s the full list of devices that will be getting KitKat:

• • Galaxy Note 3
  • • Galaxy Note II
  • • Galaxy S4
  • • Galaxy S4 mini
  • • Galaxy S4 Active
  • • Galaxy S4 zoom
  • • Galaxy S III
  • • Galaxy S III mini
  • • Galaxy Mega
  • • Galaxy Light
  • • Galaxy Note 8.0
  • • Galaxy Tab 3
  • • Galaxy Note 10.1
  • • Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

That’s a pretty big list, which should make users of the aforementioned devices quite happy, though if you’re using a non-flagship device, we would recommend patience as Samsung will likely take its time pushing out the newer version of Android. The presence of the Galaxy Note 10.1 on the list is especially good to see, as users of the device have been pretty vocal of the poor support Samsung has extended to the original Galaxy Note tablet, with the device on Android 4.1.2 for more than a year.

Here’s the press release:

Samsung Confirms KitKat for U.S. Smartphones and Tablets

DALLAS, February 18, 2014 – Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) announced today that a number of Samsung Galaxy® devices will receive the Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) software update, enriching the Galaxy experience.

The upgrade provides a number of innovative, easy-to-use features that enhance the user experience, including a more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updated applications:

• Location Menu: An integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks, while simultaneously checking the battery usage of apps running location service capabilities.
  • Enhanced Messaging: Enables users to choose between Messages or Hangouts as their preferred default messaging application, and select from a larger assortment of updated Emoji icons.
  • Upgraded Google Mobile Service™ (GMS) apps: Users can automatically back up photos and video and can open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.

Samsung Galaxy U.S. devices currently scheduled to receive the KitKat update include select carrier variants of the Galaxy Note® 3, Galaxy Note® II, Galaxy S® 4, Galaxy S® 4 mini™, Galaxy S® 4 Active™, Galaxy S® 4 zoom™, Galaxy S® III, Galaxy S® III mini™, Galaxy Mega®, Galaxy Light, Galaxy Note® 8.0, Galaxy Tab® 3, Galaxy Note® 10.1, Galaxy Note® 10.1 2014 Edition.

Availability varies by carrier and product, with updates beginning today and continuing throughout the coming months.

107 comments on “Samsung USA confirms Android 4.4 KitKat update for multiple devices, rollout begins today

1. schhy 6 months ago said:

Finally, SGH-I337 update is coming. Also glad GT3 isn’t left behind on this too

2. Leonard W 6 months ago said:

I am glad Galaxy Note II still getting the update. Hopefully, it is not the last update.

• Abhijeet M. 6 months ago said:

It will be. You don’t get more than two major updates for any devices, and the Note II will be almost two years old by the time Samsung readies the next version of the OS (and that’s after Google announces it.)

3. archies 6 months ago said:

Where is a samsung galaxy s advance -_-

4. archies 6 months ago said:

PLZZ rollout update for s advance

5. Akashreturns 6 months ago said:

heyy..Facebook sharing gadgets are missing

6. ncmacasl 6 months ago said:

Please roll this out for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II I415

7. cbass562 6 months ago said:

wow i never imagine the day that my galaxy note 10.1 would get an update… so i guess the international version will get it too.

8. safariking 6 months ago said:

Yeah can’t wait to have 4.4.2 on my Tab 3 (SM-T210) but we all know samsung the updates take forever and forever to roll out!!!

9. Danai jantakeeree 6 months ago said:

Galaxy Mega 5.8 or 6.3?

10. rodjordan 6 months ago said:

Well done to Samsung!
    As an owner of the SIII, S4 ,Galaxy Note 10.1 & Galaxy note 8. This has made me happy.
    Samsung is probably started to realise how important keeping up the versions numbers is.
    Especially when you have new devices like the Galaxy Gear that only work (properly) with 4.3+

• Targonis 6 months ago said:

Samsung has known that getting 4.3 or later on devices has been important/critical, but when the memory footprint grows too large for older devices to handle, that makes it a BAD idea to release an update until that memory footprint can be reduced. I suspect that the KitKat update will bring more changes, not just from the core of Android, but to TouchWiz itself.

11. no1uknowof 6 months ago said:

since it only says Galaxy Tab 3 on the list, does it mean all the Tab 3 devices?

12. JavierBCN360 6 months ago said:

Why Galaxy SII don’t receive update to 4.4 KitKat?

13. EthanLovesSamsing 6 months ago said:

I have the samsung Galaxy s3 mini, hopefully UK gets the updates too!!

14. archies 6 months ago said:

Samsung u know u r mother fucker y u not realese kitkat for glaxy s advance

• brostenen 6 months ago said:

Updating S advance is of no use for samsung. Please buy a newer device OR simply just be happy for what you have…. U’h and one more thing…

Why asking Samsung questions, were they’r not represented?

15. Dr. Who 6 months ago said:

Where is Samsung Galaxy Ace 2??

16. wawapowa555 6 months ago said:

Will galaxy s3 international be updated

• FrankBR 6 months ago said:

Unfortunately not. The international version has a completely different hadrware, and the manufacturer went out of business. There are no updated drivers since JB 4.1.

• hogar 6 months ago said:

If it’s unbranded sure it will. But sadly 4.4 will be its last update since it’s near to the end of the 2 year policy.

• Targonis 6 months ago said:

The problem with 4.3 was due to the 1GB of RAM in many versions of the S3. Android 4.4 has lower RAM usage, so will work on the 1GB version of the S3.

17. tomikt 6 months ago said:

GT-i9305 S3 LTE will receive?

18. ryarrell 6 months ago said:

I will continúe my patients Tmobile Note 3

19. aluthmany 6 months ago said:

my device for Galaxy S4 Active Where is firmware in ksa

20. nangroe 6 months ago said:

how about Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) Indonesia? I9500DXUEMK8

21. schhy 6 months ago said:

Will you tell us when the us carriers are releasing the firmwares?

22. ansarcec 6 months ago said:

any news on gt-i9505 international variant ?

23. osama1977 6 months ago said:

update 4.3 for Gt-I9300 in Saudi Arabia (JED).

Samsung too late in updating Android in Saudi Arabia

24. yyntan 6 months ago said:

how about galaxy tab 2 P3100??please update it to kitkat,if galaxy tab 3 7″ get kitkat

25. shahrooz0481 6 months ago said:

first galaxy s4 i9500

26. samehpego 6 months ago said:

i wish they reduce ram using in kitkat and save battery for Note II , be fast samsung i hate samsung in updating devices too slowly

27. amrzinhom 6 months ago said:

any news on i9200 mega6.3

28. dragonwave 6 months ago said:

Okay, Now I will never buy an Samsung again, Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 is not even in the upgrade list. It is newer than the S3 and newer AND faster than the S3 mini, I really can’t get this, the ace 3 is more expensive now than the S3 mini and has 4G so totally up to date.

• n900mixalot 6 months ago said:

The Galaxy Ace is not a flagship phone or device so it will not get updates as quickly. You should know that. The Galaxy S series and the Note and Tab series’ are.

• dragonwave 6 months ago said:

That is just so stuppid, I paid 250€ for that smartphone and I find that enough, but every is saying it is a budget phone, where did the world got wrong?

• Targonis 6 months ago said:

And that means it should get updates sooner than devices that cost 650 or more? Budget means budget, aka half the price or less than the top end devices.

29. michael_scz 6 months ago said:

i buy my sgh-i337 on the u.s. and now i am at bolivia, i wonder how do i can upgrade my firmware if i do not have OTA service from at&t at this country.. please can someone help me? how can i do that? by odin or another metod?

30. andy_46 6 months ago said:

ESPERANDO IMPACIENTE LA ACTUALIZACION PARA EL NOTE 2 N7100 Y QUE SEA MUCHO MAS FLUIDO QUE LA 4.3

31. sguyx 6 months ago said:

Hmm… Because Samsung USA released this before others, does this mean that they are actually testing ROMS with US users :D

32. lalitox98 6 months ago said:

samsung galaxy s advance ¿¿¿¿¿ fuc* you samsung :P shi*

33. ven10 6 months ago said:

What about Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus?

34. Joomlad27 6 months ago said:

why would you think they would give out kit kat to alot of your old crappy devices?? seriously people.

35. Rony Wijaya 6 months ago said:

Another lagger ROM from Samsung

36. jossenarvaez 6 months ago said:

GT-I8190L…. LATIN VERSION CAN UPDATE KK TOO ?

37. andreius 6 months ago said:

How about the International versions like Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110?

38. punkuser3 6 months ago said:

• archies 6 months ago said:

I think Samsung is motherfucker S3 mini will get then y s advance not get kitkat fuckoff all r cheater… fuckoff asshole

• akkhaing 6 months ago said:

@punkuser3, I don’t expect S advance to get 4.4. Its RAM is less than 1gb. (700+). It was released with GB 2.3 , skipped ICS 4.0 but got JB 4.1.2. It could b the last.

39. Shayd93 6 months ago said:

I have T-mobile Note 3 (SM-N900T) And there wasn’t a SINGLE update since release day of this phone, yes it’s confirmed, not a single stability update for all the glitchiness. I’m pissed and now there was also no Kit Kat update either. I’m about to Rape KNOX and just flash Cyanogenmod. I paid full price for this phone I can do whatever I want

40. zakariyawangde 6 months ago said:

still waiting for 4.3 on my s3.. and 4.4 kitkat i think it would take ages for the update to be OTA.

41. albojason29 6 months ago said:

yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!!!!!!

goodd! my divice is galaxy s3 mini!!!!!

42. ysnafy 6 months ago said:

Gran Duos could have this list here !

43. david145 6 months ago said:

Hi, you said the LTE version of the S3 mini. I use the version that was released in 2012, GT-I8190. Are you seriously saying that this phone won’t get the update?

44. wwewwewwe 6 months ago said:

I’m really sorry for SAM. I’m from Iran. U.S now getting 4.4 and i haven’t yet updated my s3 to 4.3. Disappointing SAM. how long should i wait for damn 4.3 ?!! Can someone answer ??

• zakariyawangde 6 months ago said:

neither hav i got the update on s3 iraq(mid).. i dont knw what are they planning at evn saudi gt the update.. iran iraq pending

45. archies 6 months ago said:

F*** you Samsung.The reason to buy Samsung devices has gone for me. What sucks is that i bought my s advance with a very high price and low spec compared to other manufacturers like Sony , Micromax. If i had gone for manufacturers like then i would have much faster devices at the same price. I only got 1 Update i.e. 4.1 for almost two years(Released in April). If i had nexus device then i would have got more update (L.G.). Whats the reason to buy Samsung devices with a high cost low customer service. Device from companies like Hauwei , Xiaomi are much better and will dominate the market if it goes like this(They also give more than one update). I only paid more for the f***ing Samsung device for no reason as any manufacturer gives one update. GALAXY S ADVANCE GALAXY S ADVANCE GALAXY S ADVANCE GALAXY S ADVANCE GALAXY S ADVANCE GALAXY S ADVANCE GALAXY S ADVANCE GALAXY S ADVANCE GALAXY S ADVANCE GALAXY S ADVANCE We all have Kitkat update for SAMSUNG GALAXY S ADVANCE now -_- :( -_- -_- -_- :( -_- -_- :( -_- _-

46. archies 6 months ago said:

FAKE SERVICE FROM SAMSUNG DONT BUY FUCKOFF SAMSUNG DEVICES ALL R CHEATER S3 mini will get kitkat update. then y S Advance will not get kitkat update both device have 90% same specs,featurs. Samsung rollout jelly bean update in april but unfortunaitly jelly bean hanging a phone laggy touchwiz,conectivity issue,battery drain shit. TOUCHWIZ=LAGWIZZ

47. archies 6 months ago said:

We ALLL have KITKAT update for s advance…… :(

48. paulo2219 6 months ago said:

galaxy SIII GT-I9300 recibira la actualizacion 4.4??? actualmente lo tengo en 4.3 gracias a sammobile….

49. alexisbrito6 6 months ago said:

good morning, I would like to know if the gt-i9500 soon receive the upgrade to 4.4.2 kitkat

50. ignaciox 6 months ago said:

Galaxy s advance???????

51. htakahashi 6 months ago said:

I have the international S3 with 1GB RAM. Apparently American consumers can look forward to getting the the KitKat update on their S3 Mini with 1GB RAM but the International S3 won’t be getting the update due to only having 1GB!! What? The excuse is that Touchwiz is too bloaty. With the horrendous 4.3 buggy update and the fact the international S3 is still the most popular flagship, I would have thought Samsung would have done the right thing. I won’t be buying a Samsung phone again.

52. alexcooki3 6 months ago said:

Galaxy grand, GALAXY GRAND!!!!!!!! DUAL CORE,1GB RAM.
    GALAXY S3 QUAD CORE 1.4 GHZ 1GB RAM… Samsung?SAMSUNG??What do you have??????

53. colivera 6 months ago said:

the galaxy s3 will have to upgrade chile?

54. chef2370 6 months ago said:

when is the update for n7000 with kitkat thank you

55. hugovzquez 6 months ago said:

Hello, it’s my first time here, but i want to ask, im from Mexico, my cellphone is from USA, but im with Telcel (mexican company) and i want to know if i’d get the update too? i have an s3 mini, one day new. please answer me, i want the kit kat D:

56. Eduardojavier 6 months ago said:

cuando saldra la actualizacion del s3 mini i8190L o por lo mejor quiero saber si habra una actualizacion a android 4.2.2 por favor necesito respuestas??????????

57. macnin 6 months ago said:

Yes andorid 4.4 on galaxy tab 3 10.1 thats what I have so in the future im going to have galaxy tab 3 10.1 4.4 kit kat in XSA verson soon.

58. yyntan 6 months ago said:

what about galaxy tab 2 p3100???if galaxy tab 3 7″ get kitkat,galaxy tab 2 MUST be update to kitkat too

59. vk.rangam 6 months ago said:

i am note1 user i am waiting for update android 4.3 or 4.4.2 version, i am waiting for update more than 1 year, provide note update

60. Sabarath 6 months ago said:

Any news when the note 10.1 (gt-n8010) is getting the updatein the UK?

61. xxolanoxx 6 months ago said:

alguien me podria decir cuando se podria actulizar mi galaxy s3 mini en peru es gt-i819l operador claro o movistar tengo 2 chips asi que el operador que lo suelte primero ese chip lo pongo he estado buscando por todas las paginas haber si alguien me asegura que el s3 mini va tener kitkat y nadie me dice nada pero ahora que sammobile lo dije ya estoy 100 por ciento seguro a y para actulizar al kitkat necesito dejar de ser root gracias eso es todo

62. aelaan 6 months ago said:

2 months waiting, I purchased my Note 10.1(2014) with the assurance that the update was coming, I have given up that it will ever arrive and now major retailers are cutting the price, meaning 6 months after the SM-P600 came out Samsung simply “forgets” about these devices, moves on to the TabPro and Note 12.2 and basically gives people that smacked down 600 bucks for their beautiful tablet the finger. Great move, next device will not have Samsung branding on it.

63. Flip Jumpman 6 months ago said:

Original Note 10.1! Let’s make it happen Sammy!

64. Eli2014 6 months ago said:

OHHH noooooooo !!!!!!!!!

Why ?! My SAMSUNG S3 Mini GT-I8190 don’t get update to Kit Kat 4.4.2 .

I DON’T LIKE YOUR WORK ! You are blowing my mind.

First you have to updte the phones that have problems whith battery and than others .

NO UPDATES,NO GOOD BATTERY LIFE,only you get this shit phone in a state that if you buy one you can;t never return him to work properly.

WORST ! WORST ! WORST ! SAMSUNG MOBILE :/ … Forever

65. rezaviper232 6 months ago said:

Galaxy Tab 2 Android 4.4.2 Please add to the list.

66. carkid11 6 months ago said:

got update for galaxy s3 4.4 kikkat and now my wifi wont turn on phone is useless with out please fix asap i do everything on this phone now i cant even use it with out wifi phone carrier is us celluar

67. regaiegadnen 6 months ago said:

UPDATE GT-I9190

68. regaiegadnen 6 months ago said:

when I get mini 4.4 for GT-9190 from my Galaxy?