Posted by Abhijeet M. 10 months ago

Original Galaxy Note batteries also swelling up

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-swelling-battery-1

Uh oh, here’s one more example that Samsung’s quality assurance team isn’t doing a very good job. Reports recently surged worldwide that the batteries on the Galaxy S4 were swelling after a few months of use, prompting Samsung to start offering free replacements. Now, one of the biggest TV stations in South Korea has revealed that the swelling issue is occurring in batteries of the original Galaxy Note as well, with the battery growing in size and shape.

Samsung is reportedly claiming that this is because the batteries have reached their end of life, but if that had been the case, we’d probably have tens and thousands of swollen batteries sticking out of smartphones and mobile phones in this technology-infested world, so this might just be a result of Samsung designing its batteries to work properly only for a couple of years (not that batteries don’t swell up after two years of usage, but it’s a not-so-common occurrence.)

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-swelling-battery-3

Of course, the even bigger problem here is that affected users won’t be able to get a free replacement, as the battery on the Galaxy Note (and the device itself) is long past its warranty period. Maybe Samsung will see sense and offer replacements (are they even making batteries for the original Note anymore?), but it looks like people will have to spend their money on getting a new battery, either from Samsung or a third-party manufacturer.

Any of you have a swollen Galaxy Note battery? If yes, did you get it checked out by Samsung, or did you just buy a new one straightaway?

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-swelling-battery-1

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-swelling-battery-2

ViaSource

18 comments on “Original Galaxy Note batteries also swelling up

1. Skander1345 10 months ago said:

Batteries do swell normally after about 2 years of regular usage.
    Smartphones with removable back covers often just pop the battery out because it doesn’t fit anymore (and we see this everywhere by doing a simple google search) – devices like the N4 and the iPhone keep swelling and swelling until the back completely punches out with force (also google this).

So before going on how “this never happens” – research your articles.

2. Rossato 10 months ago said:

the same thing happened with my battery with only 8 months of use.
    took on a technical assistance and informed me that I should buy a new battery.

3. easymomo 10 months ago said:

I had the same problem after less than 1 year with the original Galaxy Note. I just bought a new batter, I am in Cote d’Ivoire (Africa) and there is no support or technical assistance here.

4. Yucko 10 months ago said:

Mine had the same problem although it was not swollen as much as in the pictures in this article. I just replaced it with a fresh one

5. avenging 10 months ago said:

What do you expect from this writer I noticed whenever something is negative he is the first one to report it here. FYI even the high end Nokia phones of the past which I owned had batteries that swell with time

• thunderboat 10 months ago said:

To be fair with him, you have to respect the fact he works hard to post latest news about Samsung on this site which makes it worth checking out everyday.

• avenging 10 months ago said:

There is nothing wrong with reporting the latest news but i always notice something negative to samsung when he writes and i rarely see him defend samsung considering what this site is about

6. thunderboat 10 months ago said:

My 3 years old Galaxy S1 i9000 is still used as my daily voice-only phone and the batteries had no issue of swelling up to this date. This is clearly a quality issue as Note 1 is the first Samsung phablet which uses large capacity battery.

7. xuantung1989 10 months ago said:

I bought new N7000 in Jan 2011 and my battery was swelling up after only 13 months using. My phone often have been restarted when I’m surfing web and after that, the percentage has dropped very quick. When I contact to Samsung Customer Service, they said that I have to buy a new battery and it costs about $30. I think Samsung has to improve the quality of their products

8. rma1902 10 months ago said:

Yes I have the same problem since Ive updated my note to jellybean 4.1.2 . At first I thought maybe Im using my phone in wrong way and I bought 2 original batteries and both have this problem with my phone and swelling up.I think its Roms problem cause before I update it to jellybean I hadnt such a problem with Icecream sandwich nor Ginger bread.I expect company like samsung to do sth about this problem.
    Thanks Sammobile for your good site

9. karthik.shreeram 10 months ago said:

I just bought a new one :(

10. Slabada 10 months ago said:

I had the same problem with my ex Galaxy Ace.
    After 9-10 months if usage, battery swelled and lost it’s capacity completely, fully charged battery died in a phone conversation (3min).
    The new replacement battery worked fine for 6 months and started to swell to..
    I hope battery of my note3 won’t swell.

11. w24ssy 10 months ago said:

When it comes to rechargeable batteries you should treat them as a maintenance part as you would with the brakes of a car, they’re never going to last forever and will inevitably need replacing eventually within a 1-2 year period. All the main manufacturers only cover them under warranty for 6 months for a simple reason, if you can afford to keep upto maintaining the device then maybe a cheaper model where a new battery costs less will suit your budget better rather than expecting them to last forever.

• Slabada 10 months ago said:

I have a samsung C100 too, my firsm mobile phone.
      Funny thing, that it’s more than 10 years to it and it still works and battery hold enought for 3-4 days :D And it is not swelled.

Why nowadays (newer/better/more advanced) batteries are so crap?

12. mobilecracker 10 months ago said:

i have the same problem,will i get a replacement .my warranty is over

13. mahmoudelagamy 10 months ago said:

I had the same problem , i get a replacement 3 time

14. jip_86 10 months ago said:

I just replaced it without contacting samsung, it wasn’t that swollen but definitely thicker than my replacement battery. I replaced it because it had barely enough capacity left to reach the end of my workday.

15. Ridro 10 months ago said:

I have the Note for almost a year and a half and only this week i noticed this swelling problem. After ICS the phone was great and the only problem i had was an occasional massive battery drain. But that only occured like once or twice a month. But with jelly bean i have noticed that the battery became really bad. The phone only lasts for less than half a day with normal usage. And this week the screen started to flicker and the battery swelling. I hope that this is just a coincidence and that with a new battery things will be better. Or else i don’t know what to do…