Posted by Danny D. 1 year ago

Someone’s Galaxy S3 explode while charging

samsung-galaxy-s-3-battrey

Oeps, Someones Galaxy S3 just explode while charging. According to the person the device wasn´t rooted everything was official (stock). If other Galaxy S3 owners will have the same problem isn’t sure yet. At the moment this person is the only one who reported the charging problem of the Galaxy S3. We keep you up to date if we have more information regarding this story.

Explosie-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-2

Last night at about 3:15am EST (about 1 hour after i plugged it in and went to sleep) I was awoken by a loud noise and a weird squeaking sound. (I charge my phone while I’m sleeping on my bed right next to me)

So, I woke up, and saw a ton of smoke coming out of my phone — it also smelled REALLY bad. Half asleep, I jumped out of bed and turned the light on, only to see that my phone was just beginning to go on fire. I dumped a glass of water I had in the room on it to stop it from burning…then woke up my brother to come help. The smoke smelled so bad and wafted through the entire second floor of my house. I had a foam mattress pillow top that had a hole burned through it too–which we later threw out because it was still burning throughout. Also, some of the plastic on my phone was melting and kind of shooting out of it, and some landed on my pinky finger and burned some skin off (very small burn though).

Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do? Call Verizon? Samsung? Have a lawyer call them? I’d also like to get some type of replacement phone in the meantime…

ALSO: To answer many questions: EVERYTHING was stock/Samsung that I had received when I purchased my phone. Stock battery, charger, etc. Additionally, my phone was NOT rooted.

via source

18 comments on “Someone’s Galaxy S3 explode while charging

1. muppet 1 year ago said:

wtf????? scary shit dude

2. demlasjr 1 year ago said:

Next time, I’ll charge my phone in the garage, under a fire alarm O o

3. uvaman 1 year ago said:

Samsung experts will say this time user washed his phone in washing machine :)

4. Exzanon 1 year ago said:

Damn i Charge my Galaxy S3 in front of my bed , i am a afraid one day the device explodes and damage, i think battery issues …

5. snout 1 year ago said:

I cannot believe you threw water on it = BIG NO NO. Unless you had unplugged it first, or you could have had a shocking time ! But hey i hope sammy sort it ASAP.

6. Nelz91 1 year ago said:

I dont believe this for one second. Just like when the S3 first came out and it “exploded” later on the guy backpedaled on his story.

7. semantsen 1 year ago said:

It could have been Nokia, HTC, or any other damn phone at the time. Has anybody cared to check the power surge? short circuits? I am not taking sides. The poor owner has suffered a lot.But we must not make guesses unless all the facts are bare.Besides, as a safety precaution phone should have been unplugged before going to bed.It is a bad habit to keep it unattended while in sleep.

8. Sean03 1 year ago said:

Well, I almost almost had a similar problem with the Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500), one day after purchasing it (Purchase Date: 01 May 2013). At 04:00am (02 May 2013) in the morning after leaving it on the charger overnight it was too hot (48 degree Celsius), well immediately I disconnected it from the charger (It wasn’t smelling or burning), but i realised I left the games I was playing on, and some of the heavy duty apps on as well, all night while on the charger.

I have no problem with the overheating, it’s preferable during winter or in cold environments. It only overheats when playing games or executing heavy-duty apps.

SO, to be entirely sure and safe, every night when i leave my SGS4 charging off my USB Laptop port, switch it to ‘Power Saving’ mode. i only use the charger when I need the battery to charge-up quickly.

I have concerns that the battery charger may quickly deteriorate the performance of my battery over a long period of time.

Besides all of the above, I love the Samsung Galaxy S4. It’s a great phone to have for a software developer, I would recommend it to everyone out there that needs a phone that has a very responsive and an excellent performance. I just hope that Samsung will roll-out software updates much quicker across all S4 variants.

• exo_23 1 year ago said:

The S4 comes bundled with a 2A charger. The SIII came with a 1A charger.

2A = much faster charging speeds, but has higher voltages resulting in your phone getting hot while charging.

9. rakeshtiw 1 year ago said:

I’m not surprised. I bought my S3 on the day it was launched. I had many trouble with the phone.. my first within 4 days of purchase and Samsung replaced my phone… after that my visits to the service center kept increasing… major problem “Overheating”… the temp of my phone went up to 54C at times. While charging or using 3G network. They tried fixing by changing motherboard 3 to 4 times… but in vain… i guess it is the hardware… the rest of phone just cannot handle the processor speed or something. Fortunately for me… 1 month before my warranty expired, Samsung refunded me the entire amount and took back the S3. Now i am a proud owner of a Note II and i’m very happy with it. The Note II never heats of beyond 35C and is cooler than S3.

I didnt go for S4 for simple reason… i personally heard people complaining at service center of overheating on the first day of purchase.

My advice to S3 owners… keep a widget to monitor temperature at all times… if it goes higher than 48C… stop what you are doing and let it cool down or you might end up with serious damage to your phone… and do not hesitate to complain at your nearest service center… it will benefit.

Oh and my S3 was always stock… never rooted or anything.

10. wlkoff 1 year ago said:

That’s really not good thing that the phone goes on fire but next time do not use any water to fight the fire while the charger is plugged in.
    Probably a bad battery from production, just a guess

11. davidf 1 year ago said:

Seems to me to be fake, plastic shrinks when burnt, in this photo the back cover has shrunk to a position that would be impossible if actually on the phone, although there is severe damage and marks on the back cover there is virtually no equivalent sign of scorching on the body itself. As per the first case this one will prove to be BS as issues like this do get investigated externally to samsung. The last dead give away is the ‘publicity’ aspect the guy knows where he got the phone and he knows who made it why does he need to go onto the internet to ask who he should contact. Exploding battery ? why not a clear photo of the battery itself ?. Other devices that had exploding batteries(dell) had a large amount of devices having the issue , how many S3′s are out there or for that matter galaxies. Yes they can get hot but they charge at 5v/500ma, only catastrophic battery failure would damage the phone like that cover indicates but it would be the body as well not just the cover.

12. saberhagen_salem 1 year ago said:

* F A K E *

13. missmo_69 1 year ago said:

BIG FAKE
    Does the burned on different sides (cover and body).

14. gtone339 1 year ago said:

Next time, turn off the phone entirely so it won’t over heat while it’s charging! ;)

15. vslsnks 1 year ago said:

That’s weird !! My phone stops charging automatically when overheating. And I don’t think I’m the only person with this feature in his S3… lol

• vslsnks 1 year ago said:

…and I’m talking in situations were I use the GPS, have full screen brightness and the phone is on the dashboard of my car (40+ degrees Celsius where I live), while plugged on my car charger.

16. Roszalief 1 year ago said:

Well, I also once had that my phone was extremely hot during a night charge. I always put it on the side of the bed as well, since it also is my alarm. I woke up in the morning and the phone itself was almost drained but very warm. I had to turn the phone off, take the battery out and let ik cool down before I could use it again. That was also a S3 with no rooting and all the original components. Luckily it did not catch fire, but was not far from it.