Posted by Danny D. 2 years ago

samsung-galaxy-tab-2-p5110-titanium-white-tablet_1_4

The last week of March is here and we want to start this week with some good information! Today, SamMobile received some exclusive information regarding Android updates for the Galaxy Tab. Samsung wants to update the Galaxy Tab 2 to Android 4.1.2 and stop with Android 4.2.2! Samsung is even trying the same with the first generation of the Samsung Galaxy Tab (GT-P7300 / GT-P7500). According to our trusted insider, Samsung is busy testing how Jelly Bean updates work on the Nvidia Tegra 2 T20 processor*. He pointed out that these tests mean nothing for now. We will keep you folks up to date about the first generation of Galaxy tablets by Samsung.

The Galaxy Tab 2 by Samsung will receive Android 4.1.2 and end with Android 4.2.2. Samsung will no longer support the Galaxy Tab 2 after the Android 4.2.2 update. The updates must be done before the end of September. The issue with Samsung’s Exynos processor has been resolved and Samsung has, once again, started to test Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmwares for the Galaxy Tab 7.7 (GT-P6800) and Galaxy Tab Plus (GT-P6200).

Everything sounds a bit far away but Samsung really wants to update all tablets in Q2 and Q3 to Android 4.1.2 or maybe directly to Android 4.2.2.

The insider reconfirmed. All smartphones and tablets based on a dual-core processor will end on Android 4.2.2.
* If the processor could handle the update and the test firmwares are OK.

We agree with the most of the users here on SamMobile about blaming Samsung because of the delay in updates but this sounds really good. Samsung will be the only brand with good reputation of Android updates. Remember, most tablets are already 2 years old and even Google only provides support for its device till 18 months.

43 comments on “Samsung to update the Galaxy Tab 2 until Android 4.2.2, testing on 1st Gen Galaxy Tabs

1. zmagas1 2 years ago said:

That sounds realy great. I hope this come true.

If Samsung realy update 1st GEN tablet’s with 4.2.2, they will get my respect.

2. bassem.mohsen 2 years ago said:

So, Can the insider leak a test firmware for Galaxy Tab 7.7 for example.
    it would be nice, and we will provide a back channel to report all the bugs in the software, developers will be informed about the bugs and they will fix it.

3. Yucko 2 years ago said:

Strange that the original Tab will receive longer support than the Tab 2 :S

Anyways, if 4.2.x will be using Phone UI like the 4.1.x then I won’t be upgrading (I’m back to 4.0.4 on my GT-P3110 as I don’t like the Phone UI). Who is Samsung/Google to decide that I will be using my tablet in portrait mode? I use my 7″ tablet a lot for streaming video from my Plex Media Server (and thus be using it in landscape mode to reduce the amount of black bars). The little bar on top is pointless as all the info there can be integrated in the bar at the bottom and doing so create more space if the top bar was left behind.

• sonn7 2 years ago said:

Well considering the prize of the first gen tabs (which was WAY higher than tab 2), I don’t see why they sholuldn’t give at least the JB update. Good costumer service if they do. Would make me consider another Samsung tab in the future. But the 1 update thay have given the 1st gen tabs, ICS almost a year after ICS was released, is just not alright.

4. kakaana 2 years ago said:

Noooooo……
    I really wanted key lime pie on my galaxy tab 2
    Importing 4.2.2 to galaxy tab 1 is really good
    But my tab being the 2nd generation should get some benefit and key lime pie should be imported….
    Please samsung key lime pie for galaxy tab 2

5. chrisrotolo 2 years ago said:

The fact that no support for dual core past 4.2.2 tells me a couple things.

KLP or the next ver of android will likely be built around quad core and Im 99% sure the next nexus devices will have at least 4 cores.

Which should also mean many,many more quad core devices becoming standard, similiar to how dual core was the standard around honeycomb/ICS time.

• vbx 2 years ago said:

Or, it just that they don’t feel like updating a 2 year old device. Samsung has way too many devices and they cannot keep up with any of them. So the Jelly Bean or KLP is a last ditch effort to keep previous customers happy.

And WTF does cores have anything to due with a 500mb OS such as android. Windows 8 can run on dual, quads and probably even single core. And Windows 8 is HUGE.

If Samsung can get KLP on the Galaxy Tab 7.7, I would be very impressed with the company.

6. protomank 2 years ago said:

I’m still waiting for the 4.1 update in Brazil for my p5110 (tab 2 10.1 wifi).
    Let’s see witch one will come first: the official rom from Samsung or stable cyanogrnmod 10.1 :-P

7. kla6630 2 years ago said:

Are there any news about the Galaxy S Advance(P) 4.1 update? It will be updated to the 4.2 too?

8. cavalheiro1522 2 years ago said:

Yeeeeeeeep great news! I just wonder if they’ll provide a camera with photosphere as gt2 7.0 doesn’t have a gyro.

9. alex_packer 2 years ago said:

When jelly bean for Sgh t989????????

10. katarusiva 2 years ago said:

when will we receive jelly bean update for galaxy tab 7 plus p6200 ????I dont why samsung disgraced themselves even though galaxy tab 2 7Inch already updated to jb ***why why dont gt p6200???? In samsung forum there is no details and discussion about the tablet gt p6200 so bad samsung.

• marcosDRX 2 years ago said:

GT-P3100 GT-P3110 GT-P5100 GT-P5110 GT-P6200 GT-P6210 GT-P6800 GT-P6810 GT-P7300 GT-P7310 GT-P7500 GT-P7510,you devide is on the list?

11. katarusiva 2 years ago said:

when will we receive jelly bean update for galaxy tab 7 plus p6200 ????I dont know why samsung disgraced themselves even though galaxy tab 2 7Inch already updated to jb ***why why dont gt p6200???? In samsung forum there is no details and discussion about the tablet gt p6200 so bad samsung.

12. pirx73 2 years ago said:

Samsung haven’t finished to upgrade P7300 tabs on all regions to ICS. Could they simply finish one thing first and then move to the next one? 8.9″ tab update pace is beyond everything. 5 months already passed since ICS rollout started for P7300 and still barely half of the regions have been covered.

13. gsdlover1 2 years ago said:

well how about the galaxy tab 2 gt-p5113. what will happen to their updates

14. Brendan75 2 years ago said:

I own Tab 7.7 Its have been like waiting so long for Jellybeans.. update… feel sad because Samsung Seem to be forget about Tab 7.7.
    Hope Samsung will keep up with update like Its bringing Out NEW Galaxy DEVICE…..

15. bassem.mohsen 2 years ago said:

@DannyD , you mentioned the following “The issue with Samsung’s Exynos processor has been resolved and Samsung has, once again, started to test Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmwares for the Galaxy Tab 7.7 (GT-P6800) and Galaxy Tab Plus (GT-P6200).”

Well so far samsung released a rom for P6200, and forgot about GT 7.7
    we haven’t seen even a leak for even a test firmware !!
    can you ask your insider about more information, or even a leak.

I really hope to see jelly bean on this great device once.
    This the only Super AMOLED plus tablet in the entire world !!
    isn’t that enough to get updated like every device else!!

• DannyD 2 years ago said:

No worries Samsung will update your tablet soon. The exynos problem has been solved.

• bassem.mohsen 2 years ago said:

Thanks for replying, Sammobile always get the new firmwares immediately.
        All i’m wondering about is both tablets share the same chipset, and the development for both were configure and build from already developed components, no new sw is written.
        so it’s so late update !!

16. pirx73 2 years ago said:

Lol. Samsung has not even finished with ICS on all P7300 tabs and they talk about JB.

17. reaction76 2 years ago said:

what about galaxy tab 2 10.1………….gt-p5100

18. shahdaab 2 years ago said:

Is there any update for galaxt tab p-7500?? In india?

19. drusafa 2 years ago said:

There may be hope after all. I was giving up on Samsung because of the failure to update the original tab 10.1 p7510 in a timely fashion. If I get Jelly bean update before my phone contract is up I still may look at the S4. Till then it is Motorola/Google phones form now on. The article makes it sound like they are doing us a favor by supporting the p7510 after almost 2 years old. The truth is that the update should have been out already. Jelly Bean was out and ICS was old news by the time the tablet finally received ICS. The slow update process combined with the lack of communication is what made me lose faith in Samsung. Seeing the company follow through with proper updates that should have been out already will go a long way in earning back my business. I guess we will see what happens. Ball is in your court Sammy.

20. Achie1 2 years ago said:

Hi everybody, i am in Côte d’Ivoire (a western african country). I download the rom stock 4.1.2 given by Samsung, i flashed it and it work well. No problem, no battery drain, every thing is alright. Via OTA, this update is still not available in my country.

21. Achie1 2 years ago said:

22. shahdaab 2 years ago said:

Its been 5 months since sammobile uploaded this post and we still dont have any kind of information regarding the updates.
    Sammobile. #needyourupdates :|

23. marcosDRX 2 years ago said:

Galaxy tab 8.9 with android 4.1 and end with android 4.2,thanks samsung jelly bean for galaxy tab 8.9 ooooohhh :)

24. shahdaab 2 years ago said:

Waiting for Galaxytab gt-p7500 jelly bean update.
    Sammobile any news about it???? :(

25. chungck 2 years ago said:

Last week I bought a Galaxy Tab2 10.1 PT5100 second hand.
    Firmware 4.0.3 Dutch.

Yesterday I flashed it with ODIN to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 (XEF – French).

Now, it’s works perfectly.

26. bendan 2 years ago said:

Any news about update of Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7500) to 4.2.2. ?

27. milad metal 2 years ago said:

Hello why is this up for our country handbook yet please the sooner action.My Samsung model galaxy tab 2 10.1

28. nulda 2 years ago said:

where is android 4.1.2 for GT-P5110 Czech republic? this is very slow progress

29. alexctaro 2 years ago said:

They updated the tab 2 and exynos tab 1 but will they update p7300 and p7500 tegra 2? I’m still waiting for p7300 update. Is this rumour available? Sammobile, please say something.

30. essam.elpop66 2 years ago said:

please sammobile where the update to egypt to gt-p6200 ineed it

31. nayanbora 2 years ago said:

When I will get Android 4.2.2 update for Galaxy Tab2 7.0 3G in Qatar.

Thanks.

32. jackylim 2 years ago said:

Dun know tab 8.9 LTE P7320 will get the jb update? Been waiting for 2 years……..

33. ChuongPham 2 years ago said:

Don’t bother upgrading to Android 4.2.2 since it’s a dog’s breakfast – slow startup, constant freeze, constant restart to kill freeze, app slow responsiveness, etc.

You will be better off with Android 4.1.2 or the factory version Android 4.0.3.