Posted by Daniel van D. 1 year ago

Rumor: Samsung is going to test new update services from Galaxy S IV

SGS4

Information in hands from SamMobile confirm Samsung is going to test a new update service. Samsung want to have more control in each country about updates and sales. Samsung wants to know exactly how many devices has been sold in all countries. Samsung’s plan is to stop the retailers that are shipping for example French based software devices to The Netherlands. Samsung won’t give devices updates if you bought a phone outside your home country. This could mean retailers need to pay more for devices and the prices could go higher. Also customers could have to wait longer on their new devices. So far we can conclude from our information Samsung will start to test this way by no longer notification trough OTA (over the air).

Another thing to know is that Samsung will still use both KIES and OTA services. But could test in the future IMEI based updates. If Samsung decides to use IMEI tracking for updates this is most worst way for developers. We do not expect Samsung to choose this way at the moment. For Samsung at the moment KIES and OTA are fine. IMEI could be dangerous for Samsung self too.

What does this all mean for Samsung, retailer and customer?
Samsung
- Control of updates in each country. (faster way of updates)
- Exact sales numbers.
- Could bring the price up / down if needed or cancel device that do not sell well.

Retailer
- Retailer must ship country based devices otherwise customer isn’t able to update.
- Retailer shop price could be more expensive.

Customer
- Delay in new device.
- Customer isn’t able to update their device outside the country of origin.
- Price can be higher.

58 comments on “Rumor: Samsung is going to test new update services from Galaxy S IV

1. lovghdz 1 year ago said:

odin is this solution sales that much down there countries without free only sell equipment with operator

2. shwaiz 1 year ago said:

WTF Samsung? I bought my phone before leaving the country where I lived, so with their system I would never be able to update it?
    And what if I buy a used phone? I will have to check if the imei matches the country?
    Totally crazy.

3. andnote 1 year ago said:

No worry…developers will search the way out….xda is full of genius…..

4. anaskhalil 1 year ago said:

I have mobill store I will not sell samsung at all

5. ikundan 1 year ago said:

No matter what..there would be a crack available…

6. easymomo 1 year ago said:

No No No No. I use to buy Samusung phones and I became a Samsung fan because they have good products and we have a relative freedom with their products.
    We can have SD card readers, removable batteries, … Updates … because they don’t (didn’t ???) impose stupid rules to customers but it seems this is about to change.

If they use such a stupid system, I stop buying Samsung phones, tablets, computers, fridges, …
    No more Samsung.

7. BeyongGalaxy 1 year ago said:

shwaiz, let me joing you. Yeah WTF (I rarely use this)!! Samsung has one idiot business modeling planner – fire him/her. As if the updates problem is not enough, Samsung want to add this to its place. Go aheah be my guest, Sam strategic improvement (or is it de-improvement) will be a lot of advantage for some (no mention names). F…man think twice before implementing anything. By the way this goes to Sam no SamMobile.

8. nikhil_sr 1 year ago said:

This’ll be a huge mistake by Samsung. If they continue with this decision, then it’ll be the beginning of the end for Samsung in smartphone markets.

9. sa71 1 year ago said:

If this happens, I will no longer buy Samsung phone. Besides all of the above disadvantages, in case you unlock your previously network locked phone, every new phone update based on IMEI, will lock the phone again. This is exactly why I quit buying Nokia phones in the past.

10. jdomadia 1 year ago said:

At a same time Global Update wil be benefit samsung & Customer both,If Samsung need to Do something about updates than they should relies Update same time globally like apple……

11. sa71 1 year ago said:

This decision might be based on network provider influences on Samsung. They want to control regional phone prices instead of manufacturer. Many network providers earn significant income just on phone sales and want to have their final say on the phone price in the region they cover with their services.

Other reason: every time a phone manufacturer grows really big, they all make the same mistake: they try for more control of their customers. That happened with Nokia, Apple, now Samsung.

Why is Android so popular? Because Google is not controlling their customers. They closely monitor consumers, but they do not control them, thy give every consumer a maximum freedom.

If this happens, phone prices will go up and there will be a significant price difference for the same phone between the regions.

Real bad decision by Samsung

12. RobertHxx 1 year ago said:

I hope, Samsung will not do that stupid thing. Same was tried in Automobile industry. But in Europe we have one market. You can buy a car where do you like it.

Same must be for all products. Samsung can expect legal problems – lawsuit from millions of customers (EU will do that for them) – and later migrating from Samsung to Sony, Lg, Zte or Huawei.

I really hope, Samsung will remain customer friendly company as it is now.

13. Vickylife007 1 year ago said:

Sammobile please send all of these feedbacks to Samsung to educate them. I don’t want them to crash.

14. nexus 1 year ago said:

I hope this rumor is not true, buying unlocked phone gets locked in the country where it was purchased! Bad decisions Samsung. Sales will begin to drop rapidly.IMEI tracking will additionally complicate thing.

15. DannyD 1 year ago said:

Samsung knows SamMobile and they will read this.
    I guess this is more bad news for retailers i do not expect Samsung to use this update way. But they will tell retailers to stop sending French devices to The Netherlands….

16. TMHKR 1 year ago said:

When update’s the game, ODIN’s the name! Never updated via FOTA/KIES.

17. KaptRoger 1 year ago said:

Not every one uses Windows or MacOs. Having OTA updates gives you a third option, if this is removed then where does that leave all the Linux users?

18. chrisrotolo 1 year ago said:

here’s a better idea, hire a few more Android builders.. maybe a few XDA/Root Wiki Developers, they’ll be cranking out the updates to every device Samsung owns, and we will all be happy.

I understand its a process for OEMs to build and test OTAs etc.

But if you have to hire a few more people to do so, I would do it.

Imagine an OEM with prompt OTAs for every device…..

19. sozon 1 year ago said:

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

20. meszape 1 year ago said:

No worries, this is against every related EU law that i can imagine. If they do this, they will have a serious problem.

21. Desperator 1 year ago said:

i am waiting s4.samsung if u do this, I do not buy it

22. Aaron17Watson 1 year ago said:

Guys, guys. Updates will be avalaible through kiesnas always. Even if you are not in your country

23. ckvirya 1 year ago said:

no no no…… it’s not 19th century… it 21st century.. people move!!!!! SAMMY I wish you have similar policy to Apple… only one single update at the same time around the world!

24. Black Russian 1 year ago said:

Like wise I havd Dutch based Galaxy S handset but Im based in more the 3 countries.
    Still I see the EU putting a stop to this as being unfair.
    Samsung Should just have 1 rom for all europe and done..
    Samsung if your reading this put bloody dual sim cards as standard in your Flagship devices, beofre it becomes know as you flagshit devices lol…

25. JGS_ 1 year ago said:

Very easy: other good brands are lurking around the corner. If this is true, no more Samsung for me. (TV, microwave, phone, blu ray, etc etc).

I already bought an Alcatel phone because Samsung doesn’t bring decent dual sim phones to Europe … will have to avoid Samsung a lot more in the future if this is true!

26. CrisR82 1 year ago said:

Samsung is going the way of Nokia it seems…as in “going down” by their own ego.

27. max301 1 year ago said:

Bloody hell samsung.Please stop before you turn into apple mk2.
    I bought my first samsung phone from a uk company but their head office is in the usa and it was shipped from their depot in singapore.
    I registered it in the UK & got all the updates through kies as normal.
    I cpoldn’t buy the version direct from a uk dealer that i wanted but doing it this way i could.

28. melvarius 1 year ago said:

I’m not a big fan of Kies or OTA so I’ll keep using Odin to update my devices. As long as Samsung don’t mess that up it wont bother me unduly.

RE Dual Sim
    Most manufacturers would quite happily make dual sim devices it’s the Networks who actively kibosh that concept in their pursuit of profit.

I’m old enough to remember a time when all contract phones were unlocked and quite a few had dual sim capability.

The Networks actively got rid of dual sim handsets and used WAP internet as an excuse to lock contract phones which was a load of bollocks.
    These days they use “heavily subsidised” as an excuse.

My personal opinion is that these restrictions were implemented in order to milk the cash cow known as “Roaming”

29. hidr0 1 year ago said:

Fun’s over! Shame on you samsung. Whats the point? To show apple your winnie is bigger? Stupid stupid stupid

30. chokri117 1 year ago said:

if is it true , it is a bad decision , men make travel every time , and if we buy it from australia and we are from italie , we have to return to australia to upgrade,
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

31. drashran 1 year ago said:

Other Brands have started to come out with better products now a days, like ….LG Google Nexus 5, HTC 8X, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 820, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD, Sony Xperia T & Z…..etc, these phones are no way inferior to Samsung phones. I am expecting my S3 to under go ”Sudden Death Syndrome” any time soon

32. drashran 1 year ago said:

If sammy does some thing foolish they are going down very soon, as we are having more options…….

33. shariqabideen 1 year ago said:

Nothing to worry about really. Samsung can throw any thing on XDA Developers and chances are that XDA will come up with the mods sooner than Samsung can say “Money”. Afterall, their is a God up there hehe !

34. alarbiere 1 year ago said:

I living in a small country, and I typically buy my phones in one of the neigbour countries, as the price there is often much better.
    I have been buying samsung phones for the last 5 years or so, and all my family members (4) have one (and I have still 4 spare ones lying around).

the day I can no longer buy where I want, I going to wave fare well to Samsung. I might as well then buy an iPhone…

35. Gadget Priest 1 year ago said:

This would not even be legal within the EU as it breaches all sorts of free trade laws.

36. sa71 1 year ago said:

Who cares about Galaxy 4 any more as they are going to control updates based on IMEI. We want the freedom Google gives us with Android, and we will find it with HTC, LG, Sony… Do you see, Samsung, we can hardly decide between YOU, Sony, LG, Motorola and each of us is always on the edge to switching to another brand. Try to twist our hand, and we are gone away from YOU.

SAMSUNG WAKE UP, IT IS ABOUT ANDROID, MUCH MORE THAN ABOUT SAMSUNG. YOUR UI, built quality (which is often questionable), look of the device,…, are meaningless compare to Android. We might buy another Samsung phone once Samsung gets a chance to make a Nexus phone. Samsung tricked me ones with Bada. The moment they try messing up with OS update even more, I am done with Samsung.

37. juanmr 1 year ago said:

samsung no me parece porque eso contribuye a que muchos paises abusadores como por ejemplo venezuela. importen sus nuevos equipos y aca los vendan en precios que equivalen como a 4 de sus telefons, yo compre mi samsung galaxy s2 por medio de una pagina y fue traido de fuera y es mas barato comprarlo fuera que comprarlo en su mismo pais de uno ya que son muchos los abusos que se cometen en los precios que les colocan aca. si yo espero comprar un telefono en mi pais se me haria dificil su compra ya que el precio es demasiado elevado para adquirirlo.

38. sharkee 1 year ago said:

this can’t be true. This is again EU laws. I don’t expect Samsung will fight against EC and customers.

39. rompe007 1 year ago said:

KEEP GOING, LOOK AT APPLE

U WILL FALL DOWN IF U CONTINUE WITH THIS NONSENSE

I WAS A SAMSUNG USER( galaxy tab , s2, s3 ) , until they stop caring with the updates.
    now i just got my nexus 4 and nexs 7 i love them

keep going like that , everyone will go where google goes , no u samsung

android it s what makes us buy your phones

android is free, dont forget that

40. sorg 1 year ago said:

Currently, the only thing keeps me buying Samsung phones – is AMOLED display. But this advantage cannot cover all other benefits.
    I’m already not satisfying by S3 design, battery life. So, i’m on the edge to give up with AMOLED and start to look for alternatives. Previously Samsung just monitored illegal updates by counting customs, but more and more they move to control. For example in Note II you already cannot use AllShare Cast feature if you flashed custom recovery or kernel. And i believe there will be more features cut in future models which doesn’t make me happy with Samsung phones.

Although, Samsung has good technologies, it cannot cover all their nasty wishes and fantasies to keep their customers.

41. ferrloz 1 year ago said:

I am thinking about remembering that OTA needs of the imei and other relevant information of product code, ect for update.

42. mr boot 1 year ago said:

Warning to SamSung: Do this just ones and you will go to the drainage of history as ones was a mobile company. You better not do it. Nokia experience, is not far, a company which used to dominate, mobile universe into sub-oblivion.

43. ArminVB 1 year ago said:

NOOOOO…dear Samsung whats happen to you?!!!
    because of MONEY???
    if this happen surely you (Samsung) gonna be forgotten!!! ;(((
    PLEASE CHANGE YOUR MIND!!!

44. rlapitz 1 year ago said:

No matter what I do Samsung. The users can have it.

Why not join together and create some sort of association to complain to Samsung what they do not like?.

There are other brands as well……

45. Element2k3 1 year ago said:

I’m a freelancer working in different countries for several months – so I won’t be able to update outside the country I bought it from? How stupid is that. Luckly my next phone is going to be the Sony. Bye bye Samsung

46. ohlalayeah 1 year ago said:

to Samsung: that means all your staffs need to take off their clothes including underwear when they depart from their country of origin.

47. lemi 1 year ago said:

If this happened, bye bye samsung…

48. ErikEngerd 1 year ago said:

I wonder how they would ever get this right. Suppose I am a UK customer with a subscription to vodafone uk. Then I move to the Netherlands for work for a couple of months and buy a Dutch sgs4. How would that work?
    Another solution to grey import would be to have just one model for all countries instead of what they do now. That would eliminate grey mport as well. They could still do a phased rollout based on country or imei of course. That would be sensible to test out firmware versions before making them available globally. Then knowledgeable users can still flash using odin or heimdall.

49. paigemill 1 year ago said:

Ohhh and I was so looking forward to the new Galaxy IV, oh well maybe it’s time I looked at the world beyond Samsung!

50. msedek 1 year ago said:

Plain stupid.. So if I go Europe and I’m walking in the street.. And suddenly I decide to walk into a samsung store and then I see a device I really love and hey I got the money right here in my pocket.. Oh wait.. I can’t buy what ever I want because samsung won’t update my device because it’s European and I’m from America.. Wtf? Is this racism? Comunism? What the fuck?

51. gvsfelix 1 year ago said:

Imagine quando vier o governo único mundial do baphomet, aí a coisa vai feder. Será que vai ser um preço único mundial?

52. hackzbrasnet 1 year ago said:

Bad things:

Retailer
    - Retailer shop price could be more expensive.

The rest is all ok.

53. emk2z 1 year ago said:

yAY what a great strategy from samsung,

but it seems familiar, where did I see it before lets see….
    - good & popular products
    - good software features
    - a company which wants to control what we do with our phones
    - a closed system which developers cant have freedom
    - a closed /strict system for updates
    hmmm apple juice anyone ?

go on sam-ple, try and see if I will choose popular devices over freedom…

54. jbrown0130 1 year ago said:

A large part of this has to do with the general asian business/politic mindset, but i really don’t understand what sammy is doing to themselves.

so many iterations of devices that nobody can keep it straight. (how many s3 variants are there?) unify your shit…smartphones 1 high, 1 med, 1 low/year, a small handfull of dumbphones to fill the gap, a note device, and 1 tablet of your chosen 2-3 sizes a year with all the features you want.(how many 10 inch tabs have you released at this point?)

your general app structure is a mess…you cant even decide on a single company name to publish under. i need 4 versions of similar apps to get my devices working together. allshare, allshare play, allshare cast, allshare control…wtf? one app that does it all dipshits. nevermind smart remote, smartview, etc. and lets add seperate apps for wireless speaker docks and cameras while were at it. whoevere is setting your strategy in the app ecosystem should be fired without severence asap…because they obviously dont understand what thier dealing with. kies…other than updates is practically useless…and slow and clunky.

Get core features working on flagship devices…why cant i stream from my sammy home entertainment center to my s3…but you’re releasing the galaxy s4?

Simplify your device ecosystem per the above and it will simplify your update process…just make enough of em to go around.

Stop caving to carrier pressure, if thats what it is, apple didn’t…and they did just fine despite that.

Tizen…seriously? android has made you a dominant player. oh whaaaa…you dont own it….get over it, dont you dare turn your back on what got you where you are.

Sammy you are just about to truly takeover the electronics world…it appears you have to many, but you are still on shaky groud…one false step….and you will lose what you built.

I love you to death…and you make the best devices out there….but the arrogance of your top execs is starting to show.

55. jbrown0130 1 year ago said:

Ps…keep in mind sammy…you practically fell into this position when your engineers handed you some badass devices…you didnt market yourself into this position. your marketing strategy capitalized on existing momentum…and as its evolved…although you had some big wins…its becoming abundantly clear your brand managers have no clue what they are doing on a global scale.

56. Pingback: Samsung Germany issues statement on Galaxy Note 3 regional lockout

57. Pingback: droidultimate » Samsung Germany issues statement on regional lockout of Galaxy Note 3 and other devices

58. Pingback: Samsung Germany issues statement on regional lockout of Galaxy Note 3 and other devices | Android Top News