Rumor: Samsung is going to test new update services from Galaxy S IV

Information in hands from SamMobile confirm Samsung is going to test a new update service. Samsung want to have more control in each country about updates and sales. Samsung wants to know exactly how many devices has been sold in all countries. Samsung’s plan is to stop the retailers that are shipping for example French based software devices to The Netherlands. Samsung won’t give devices updates if you bought a phone outside your home country. This could mean retailers need to pay more for devices and the prices could go higher. Also customers could have to wait longer on their new devices. So far we can conclude from our information Samsung will start to test this way by no longer notification trough OTA (over the air).

Another thing to know is that Samsung will still use both KIES and OTA services. But could test in the future IMEI based updates. If Samsung decides to use IMEI tracking for updates this is most worst way for developers. We do not expect Samsung to choose this way at the moment. For Samsung at the moment KIES and OTA are fine. IMEI could be dangerous for Samsung self too.

What does this all mean for Samsung, retailer and customer?
- Control of updates in each country. (faster way of updates)
- Exact sales numbers.
- Could bring the price up / down if needed or cancel device that do not sell well.

- Retailer must ship country based devices otherwise customer isn’t able to update.
- Retailer shop price could be more expensive.

- Delay in new device.
- Customer isn’t able to update their device outside the country of origin.
- Price can be higher.

Firmware news 58

[...] the differences that exist between retail prices around the world. Back in February, we heard an unconfirmed rumor that Samsung might be attempting to do [...]

2 years 8 months ago

Ps…keep in mind sammy…you practically fell into this position when your engineers handed you some badass devices…you didnt market yourself into this position. your marketing strategy capitalized on existing momentum…and as its evolved…although you had some big wins…its becoming abundantly clear your brand managers have no clue what they are doing on a global scale.

2 years 8 months ago

A large part of this has to do with the general asian business/politic mindset, but i really don’t understand what sammy is doing to themselves.

so many iterations of devices that nobody can keep it straight. (how many s3 variants are there?) unify your shit…smartphones 1 high, 1 med, 1 low/year, a small handfull of dumbphones to fill the gap, a note device, and 1 tablet of your chosen 2-3 sizes a year with all the features you want.(how many 10 inch tabs have you released at this point?)

your general app structure is a mess…you cant even decide on a single company name to publish under. i need 4 versions of similar apps to get my devices working together. allshare, allshare play, allshare cast, allshare control…wtf? one app that does it all dipshits. nevermind smart remote, smartview, etc. and lets add seperate apps for wireless speaker docks and cameras while were at it. whoevere is setting your strategy in the app ecosystem should be fired without severence asap…because they obviously dont understand what thier dealing with. kies…other than updates is practically useless…and slow and clunky.

Get core features working on flagship devices…why cant i stream from my sammy home entertainment center to my s3…but you’re releasing the galaxy s4?

Simplify your device ecosystem per the above and it will simplify your update process…just make enough of em to go around.

Stop caving to carrier pressure, if thats what it is, apple didn’t…and they did just fine despite that.

Tizen…seriously? android has made you a dominant player. oh whaaaa…you dont own it….get over it, dont you dare turn your back on what got you where you are.

Sammy you are just about to truly takeover the electronics world…it appears you have to many, but you are still on shaky groud…one false step….and you will lose what you built.

I love you to death…and you make the best devices out there….but the arrogance of your top execs is starting to show.

2 years 8 months ago

yAY what a great strategy from samsung,

but it seems familiar, where did I see it before lets see….
- good & popular products
- good software features
- a company which wants to control what we do with our phones
- a closed system which developers cant have freedom
- a closed /strict system for updates
hmmm apple juice anyone ?

go on sam-ple, try and see if I will choose popular devices over freedom…

Bad things:

- Retailer shop price could be more expensive.

The rest is all ok.

2 years 8 months ago

Imagine quando vier o governo único mundial do baphomet, aí a coisa vai feder. Será que vai ser um preço único mundial?

2 years 8 months ago

Ohhh and I was so looking forward to the new Galaxy IV, oh well maybe it’s time I looked at the world beyond Samsung!

2 years 8 months ago

I wonder how they would ever get this right. Suppose I am a UK customer with a subscription to vodafone uk. Then I move to the Netherlands for work for a couple of months and buy a Dutch sgs4. How would that work?
Another solution to grey import would be to have just one model for all countries instead of what they do now. That would eliminate grey mport as well. They could still do a phased rollout based on country or imei of course. That would be sensible to test out firmware versions before making them available globally. Then knowledgeable users can still flash using odin or heimdall.

2 years 8 months ago

If this happened, bye bye samsung…

2 years 8 months ago

to Samsung: that means all your staffs need to take off their clothes including underwear when they depart from their country of origin.

2 years 8 months ago

I’m a freelancer working in different countries for several months – so I won’t be able to update outside the country I bought it from? How stupid is that. Luckly my next phone is going to be the Sony. Bye bye Samsung

2 years 8 months ago

No matter what I do Samsung. The users can have it.

Why not join together and create some sort of association to complain to Samsung what they do not like?.

There are other brands as well……

2 years 8 months ago

NOOOOO…dear Samsung whats happen to you?!!!
because of MONEY???
if this happen surely you (Samsung) gonna be forgotten!!! ;(((

mr boot
2 years 8 months ago

Warning to SamSung: Do this just ones and you will go to the drainage of history as ones was a mobile company. You better not do it. Nokia experience, is not far, a company which used to dominate, mobile universe into sub-oblivion.

2 years 8 months ago

I am thinking about remembering that OTA needs of the imei and other relevant information of product code, ect for update.

2 years 8 months ago

Currently, the only thing keeps me buying Samsung phones – is AMOLED display. But this advantage cannot cover all other benefits.
I’m already not satisfying by S3 design, battery life. So, i’m on the edge to give up with AMOLED and start to look for alternatives. Previously Samsung just monitored illegal updates by counting customs, but more and more they move to control. For example in Note II you already cannot use AllShare Cast feature if you flashed custom recovery or kernel. And i believe there will be more features cut in future models which doesn’t make me happy with Samsung phones.

Although, Samsung has good technologies, it cannot cover all their nasty wishes and fantasies to keep their customers.

2 years 8 months ago

I WAS A SAMSUNG USER( galaxy tab , s2, s3 ) , until they stop caring with the updates.
now i just got my nexus 4 and nexs 7 i love them

keep going like that , everyone will go where google goes , no u samsung

android it s what makes us buy your phones

android is free, dont forget that

2 years 8 months ago

this can’t be true. This is again EU laws. I don’t expect Samsung will fight against EC and customers.

2 years 8 months ago

samsung no me parece porque eso contribuye a que muchos paises abusadores como por ejemplo venezuela. importen sus nuevos equipos y aca los vendan en precios que equivalen como a 4 de sus telefons, yo compre mi samsung galaxy s2 por medio de una pagina y fue traido de fuera y es mas barato comprarlo fuera que comprarlo en su mismo pais de uno ya que son muchos los abusos que se cometen en los precios que les colocan aca. si yo espero comprar un telefono en mi pais se me haria dificil su compra ya que el precio es demasiado elevado para adquirirlo.

2 years 8 months ago

Who cares about Galaxy 4 any more as they are going to control updates based on IMEI. We want the freedom Google gives us with Android, and we will find it with HTC, LG, Sony… Do you see, Samsung, we can hardly decide between YOU, Sony, LG, Motorola and each of us is always on the edge to switching to another brand. Try to twist our hand, and we are gone away from YOU.

SAMSUNG WAKE UP, IT IS ABOUT ANDROID, MUCH MORE THAN ABOUT SAMSUNG. YOUR UI, built quality (which is often questionable), look of the device,…, are meaningless compare to Android. We might buy another Samsung phone once Samsung gets a chance to make a Nexus phone. Samsung tricked me ones with Bada. The moment they try messing up with OS update even more, I am done with Samsung.

Gadget Priest
2 years 8 months ago

This would not even be legal within the EU as it breaches all sorts of free trade laws.

2 years 8 months ago

I living in a small country, and I typically buy my phones in one of the neigbour countries, as the price there is often much better.
I have been buying samsung phones for the last 5 years or so, and all my family members (4) have one (and I have still 4 spare ones lying around).

the day I can no longer buy where I want, I going to wave fare well to Samsung. I might as well then buy an iPhone…