Samsung Galaxy S5 is now official: Snapdragon 801 SoC, 16MP Camera, Fingerprint Sensor, Dust and Water Resistant

Samsung has just announced its latest flagship device, the Galaxy S5, at its Unpacked 2014 Episode 2014 event here in Barcelona, Spain. This time around Samsung wanted to keep everything simple instead of bloating the device with advanced features, because they think that’s not what the average consumer wants. The average consumer wants an advanced camera, the fast network connectivity, dedicated fitness tools and enhanced device protection features as consumers stay fit and connected in style.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 features a stunning 5.1-inch Full HD (1920×1080) Super AMOLED display with Local Contrast Algorithm, Super Dimming and Adaptive Display technology, Quad-Core Snapdragon 801 (MSM8974AC) SoC with a clock speed of 2.5GHz, Adreno 330 GPU clocked at 578MHz and 2GB of RAM. There are a ton of sensors on the device too, including: Accelerometer, RGB Ambient light, Geomagnetic, Proximity, Gyro, Barometer, Temperature & Humidity, Fingerprint Scanner and Heart Rate Sensor.

Glam_Galaxy-S5_Group

In terms of connectivity, the Galaxy S5 supports the fifth generation Wi-Fi 802.11ac and 2X2 MIMO, and supporting the large number of LTE frequency with LTE Category 4 standard, which makes the Galaxy S5 a world device. For consumers seeking an even faster connection, the Galaxy S5 now features Download Booster, an innovative Wi-Fi technology for boosting data speed by bonding Wi-Fi and LTE simultaneously. NFC, IR Blaster and Bluetooth 4.0 BLE / ANT+ are also onboard. Samsung has ditched the Micro USB connector for a USB 3.0 port, which should increase data transfer speeds by huge margins.

Samsung has done wonders with the camera tech in the Galaxy S5, both at hardware level and at software level. The Galaxy S5 now packs a 16 Megapixel camera sensor which can shoot 4K (UHD) video at 30FPS and 1080p (FHD) video at 60FPS. At the software-level, Samsung has added new camera modes: Virtual Tour Shot, Select Focus Mode, HDR (Rich Tone) and more. Samsung has equipped the Galaxy S5 with a dedicated image processing chip, and has also decreased shutter speed to 0.3 seconds between shot-to-shot. The device is also great for video calls/conferences as the device sports a 2.1 Megapixel front facing camera which shoots 1080p (FHD) video at 30FPS. The camera interface has been revamped, as well.

Let’s talk about design, Galaxy S5′s design is very similar to the one found on the Galaxy S4. From the front you will find it difficult to tell them apart but from the back, it’s a different story. The Galaxy S5 features a perforated pattern on the back cover creating a modern glam look. Its new sleek, contoured shape comes in an array of vivid colours, including charcoal Black, shimmery White, electric Blue and copper Gold, to complement the style of the individual consumer.

Samsung has equipped a fingerprint sensor into the home button of the Galaxy S5, and the implementation is simply great. You can unlock your device with the fingerprint sensor, pay for your things via PayPal, sign into websites, encrypt personal files and apps using Private Mode and open desired applications using one of your assigned fingerprint. The Korean giant has managed to make the device IP67 dust and water resistant, which means there won’t be an Active variant of the Galaxy S5 coming in the future. There is a flap cover on the USB 3.0 port to stop water from coming into the device, however, you don’t need a flap for the headphone jack.

The Galaxy S5 comes pre-loaded with Android 4.4.2 KitKat and the new TouchWiz UX. The interface is now all flat and blue, its exactly the same as on the TabPROs and NotePROs. Magazine UX has been implemented into the new TouchWiz launcher, which you can activate by swiping left from your home screen. All previous Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note III software features are available on the Galaxy S5, as well. Samsung has introduced a Kids Mode, which is mainly designed for parents whose children love to play with their smartphones.

Samsung is going big with fitness this time. Samsung has re-designed its S Health application, to match the new user experience, and it looks simply stunning. With the enhanced S Health 3.0, the new Galaxy S5 offers more tools to help people stay fit and well. It provides a comprehensive personal fitness tracker to help users monitor and manage their behaviour, along with additional tools including a pedometer, diet and exercise records, and a new, built-in heart rate monitor.

To power all the technology inside the Galaxy S5, there is a 2800mAh battery. Dimension-wise, the Galaxy S5 is 142.0 x 72.5 x 8.1mm and weighs 145g. The Galaxy S5 comes in 2 storage options: 16GB and 32GB. The storage is also expandable via MicroSD Slot. Samsung didn’t mention any pricing but the device will be available in stores starting from April in 150 countries.

Phones 107

dominezz
1 year 6 months ago

Ahh people make me laugh with all this stupidity i mean u need a 64 bit os to use a 64 bit processor second 4 gb really( :D) s5 even with all opened apps doesnt use more than 1.5gb so why 4gb ahh yes to make the phone more expensive i dont get it have people cookies instead brains??

1 year 6 months ago

So I played with the S5 there, and not a Demo unit. I can tell you It doesn’t need 3 GB of RAM.

KitKat is designed for phones with less RAM, and I can tell the unit I got was seriously smooth!

dominezz
1 year 6 months ago

thank you Lord finally someone with a brain its true no need for 3gb and if people tell that note has 3gb i mean ofc it needs that a wacom digitizer eats memory like a black hole lol

tigre0070

i am disappointed…

madushan92
1 year 6 months ago

Samsung Galaxy S5 will brake the sales record for sure! The worst selling galaxy ever. Samsung is killing Galaxy line, I wonder if it is to pave the way for their upcoming Tizen series…

dominezz
1 year 6 months ago

Lets be real 2 gb is more than u will ever need second i did try the s5 and after opening almost every app the bastard still didnt choke(kitkat only needs 512 mb) so there is no point in 3 gb
third the design is yuck but the phone actully feels nice in the hands and the plastic is good(not like my slippery s3 lol)

altinonn
1 year 6 months ago

Wonderful, the dust and water protection of s5! I am thinking if the Samsung already corrected the common defect in the S4. Ten days after receiving my brand new s4, the GLASS HAS BROKEN, CRACKED, from left to the right, NO drops, twist, pressure or heat. Absolutely nothing. Happily, it is working fine, no problem at all, but cracked. When someone asks what is this, I ansswer: it’s Samsung famous gorilla glass technology.
It seems that the S5 glass is the same S4 famous UNBREAKABLE Gorilla Glass.

ro.b3rt
1 year 6 months ago

The S5 will kill all opponents. You guys don’t understand the presentation very well I see. This is the big idea. It was episode 1. The S5 from the episode one is the “low budget” variant. Samsung likes to surprising us, like it did in the past. Wait the Premium S5 to reveal. That’s why they not showed the model like GT-i9500. The premium variant will have another presentation, together with Samsung Galaxy Glasses and Samsung Galaxy Pen. Wait wait wait. The metal body was not a joke. The 4gb of ram will be there. The 41mpx carl zeiss also. Samsung was signed a contract with nVidia in secret. Tegra 5? Yes. :) Prepare for the battle. Wait and be patient. S5 from episode one is the samsung warrior on low budget phones..like iPhone 5c.
This is strict secret info. Keep for you and let other people to be surprised!

ro.b3rt

Tusker
1 year 6 months ago

The S5 is a big disappointment.Leaving specs aside, the design sucks, don’t think Samsung has been listening to what their customers really want.If there was a change in design with the mentioned specs, the reception towards this would have been much better, but I have to agree with the majority of the comments, this phone does not warrant a second look. I am a loyal Samsung fan for the past 7 years, but that is about to change.

iysmsp
1 year 6 months ago

No FM radio??. What happens in the zones where the internet conexion is poor??. Is it more important a fingerprint/heartrate monitor than return to the fm radio way?? (I have a computer with 8 years that have fingerprint…) What happens if you do not have data plan???
I think the medium users of Android devices like me are not like medium user of iphone devices. We want to have the capabillity of do all the things with its mobile phones. If we pay a high-end terminal we want to have all features in it. If you place limits like Iphone maybe you will gain some Iphone user that wants a cheaper terminal with larger screen, but you are going to lost your concerned loyal costumers. We like to send images over bluetooth, we like to connect with the computer and download/upload information without any dark software, we like connect an usb drive over otg and of course WE LIKE TO LISTE FM RADIO.
In this terminal I was expecting a correction of the S4 way, return FM Radio and wy not inclusion of DAB radio, improve all the hw and some new thing to play a little (could be heart rate or fingerprint), and I have founded a cheaper copy of Iphone 5S.
I think that we are going to see a fall of another big company because of its blindness (same as nokia) . Bye Bye Samsung, wellcome Xiaomi. :(

Al3xDroid
1 year 6 months ago

totally agree, in a lot of regions with a poor quality of data connections (mountains during tracking, sea ecc.), FM radio is the only solutions to access notices and news.

xhustler
1 year 6 months ago

Crap on you haters! Give credit where it’s due. It’s definitely not perfect but this is a solid device.

Am certain there will be some high end variants which you still won’t buy coz’ then, u will most definitely b**ch about the price.

No OIS, no metal chasis, no FM radio is a b**ch but I can live without them if the price is right.

I will give this device a score of 78/100.

van_1104
1 year 6 months ago

So can’t use charging dock on s5 anymore with lid cover on its ?

elia99
1 year 6 months ago

Just don’t understand why there is no FM radio again ?

pbm5362
1 year 6 months ago

No matter what this thing is gonna sell like hotcakes. Like everybody else I’m disappointed with their offering, but I think the expectations were too high. Right now im 50/50 on whether im gonna get the device or not. I wanna see it for myself against other flagship devices before I make a buying decision.

pbm5362
1 year 6 months ago

To add, im thinking the Galaxy F is gonna become their new flagship and the S series is gonna become their mid-range linen

fejzulla
1 year 6 months ago

wait for the s5 premium with snapdragon 805 :) quad core 2.7 64bit 4gb ram…. and all else :)
these s5 is nothing much than s4+.
BETER I PREFER I9506 than s5

cyberfrost

Mixed bag I must admit!
Good that Samsung has tried to reduce bloatware. The hardware specs look good but not great and frankly I am not looking from 3 GB RAM, 2 K Resolution. Disappointed with looks though! I thought Samsung would try to give slightly new look to the new flagship as all Samsung flagships look the same. I just hope they do launch same variant across globe and don’t fool Indian customers by launching S4 like Octa Core variant with inferior processor.

gtone339
1 year 6 months ago

Forgot to mention that it’s a great upgrade for the Galaxy S3 users!

heara

ill go this time for xperia z2

heinriker
1 year 6 months ago

I will be giving this phone a skip.

oumeir

interface ux very bad as my s3 interface is better

minchu2002
1 year 6 months ago

MYSELF ALSO VERY DISAPPOINTED,ABOUT THE S5,BUT I THINK THEIR WILL BE SURPRISE PACK ,AS RUMORED BEFORE THEIR WILL BE TWO VERSION OF SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 ,ONE WITH FHD WITH 2GB AND ANOTHER WITH 2K WITH 3 OR 4 WITH GB 64BIT PROCESSOR,
LETS WAIT ,AS OF KNOW WE HAVE SEEN THE FIRST RUMORED S5 WHICH WAS TRUE WHAT IT RUMORED,,,LETS ALL SAMSUNG LOVERS AROUND THE WORLD HOPE ANOTHER RUMORED LEAKED WITH 2K WILL DREAM COME TRUE,,,
I THINK SAMSUNG KEPT SECRET OF THIS ,LETS HOPE IN TWO DAYS THEY WILL REVEAL OR SOMETIMES AFTERR THEY WILL RELEASE SAMSUNG S5 AS GALAXY S 5S OR WITH LABEL PREMIUM GALAXY S5

amran.ardiansyah
1 year 6 months ago

Kirain desainnya bakal banyak berubah, ini malah lebih jelek dibanding S4.
Materialnya masih pake plastik, kesannya bukan produk flagship apalagi kalo dipegang.
Speknya juga ga jauh-jauh amat dengan S4. Fitur sidik jari juga ga terlalu penting.
Resolusi layar juga ga ada peningkatan, masih lebih bagus LG G2 produk tahun lalu layar lebih besar tapi ukuran bezel dan body-nya pas.
RAM & Prosesornya juga masih sama.
Tahun ini ga upgrade dulu deh, tetep pake S4 ajah.

joss247
1 year 6 months ago

I am in total shock right now!!! After all these hypes and anticipations about the next big thing, I am truly truly dissapointed with the design and TW UI of the S5. It is more of a same old thing with a little bit of iterations here and there. It looks like samsung has had enough of playing with the flagship devices, so it does not want to raise the bar high and only stick to the match and level the competition. One thing is for sure if Samsung does not revolutionize the “DESIGN and TW UI” of its smartphones, it will slowly be in the course of loosing the supremacy in the smartphone supremacy. Samsung this year you have given the ball to someone else’s court. Never thought in my dreams that this could be the S5.

edsato82

Me gustó, muy bonito. Aun así, estoy muy bien con mi Galaxy S4

ketani
1 year 6 months ago

I have now no reason to switch over to S5 from my present awesome device i.e Note 3 ….

I had expected a huge upgrade but it’s really disappointing (where is 2K screen & at least 3 GB RAM)!! This means that those who own either S4 or Note 3 will just stay with their phones till may be Note 4 comes out & hopefully it’s designed by a sensible team of thinking professionals !!

S5 IMO wont impress a lot of people……

gtone339
1 year 6 months ago

What’s the benefits of a QHD (2560 x 1440) on a smartphone anyway?

1920 x 1080 should be the ideal display resolution for a smartphone.

ketani
1 year 6 months ago

When I switched over from Note 2 (720 x 1280) to Note 3 (1080 x 1920) , I really experienced the difference , Note 3 screen looks absolutely crispy !

Same would happen when you switch over to a 2K display , it’s a matter of experience !!

Phoenix2
1 year 6 months ago

Objection. That kind of step up wouldn’t be discernable with human eyes.

There’s a reason why Apple screens are called Retina displays with only around 300~320ppi. That’s supposedly the threshold limit in which the eye can actually detect pixels under normal circumstances (ie. Normal usage). FHD to QHD… I don’t think you’d notice (unless of course the screen is made in such a way)

dominezz
1 year 6 months ago

Phoenix2 and Eljazz you got brains(thank God!) while ketani not so much(maybe a cookie?)

Eljazz

@ketani ,

Offcourse you felt the difference from the note 2 to the note 3.
Note 2 = 267 ppi
Note 3 = 386 ppi
And your eyes can see the difference to 300ppi.
When the ppi is 400 or 500 or 600, your eyes won’t see the difference. Only with a microscope.

So if the Note 4 will have a QHD screen, it would be awesome on paper, but in reality, you won’t see any difference at all..

ketani
1 year 6 months ago

We don’t need to see pixels my friend but pixel density does matter & you are unnecessarily doubting my excellent eyesight !!!

When I said that I could easily feel the difference in the screen-resolution while switching over from Note 2 to Note 3 then you have to believe me !

kof200440
1 year 6 months ago

I will stick wiyh my s4 now ..