The Galaxy S6 will have a 16-megapixel camera with Sony’s IMX240 sensor

Every flagship smartphone goes through various revisions before the final version hits retail, and for a major smartphone like the Galaxy S6, the number of prototypes is often high. We reported on the S6′s camera earlier this month based on info we received about one of the prototypes of the device, with this particular prototype featuring a 20-megapixel Samsung-made camera sensor on the back.

Rumors about the Galaxy S6 have been rather uncertain about whether it will have a 16 or 20MP camera, and we can now confirm that the device will come with a 16MP camera on the final retail unit. The camera sensor will be the Sony IMX240, the same sensor used on the Galaxy Note 4, though according to our insider Samsung has made considerable tweaks to the camera lens and the software. We have talked about the software part in our camera exclusive, but it’s yet to be ascertained what enhancements were made to the camera lens.

It’s possible Samsung has made improvements for low-light imaging, something the company’s teasers about the Galaxy S6 have hinted at. With just a little over a week left before the Galaxy S6 is set to go official, it won’t be long before we find out just what these improvements bring to the tablet over the cameras on existing Samsung smartphones.

Phones 36

sexyback
1 year 3 months ago

I said specs right? Didn’t you see the “s” at the end?
Both having the same processor only means that back then the new gen Snapdragon 810 or Samsung newest in house proc weren’t available yet.
Then, the proc and the camera alone don’t make a phone, neither in hardware nor in user experience,
since many flagship phones today will have the exact same proc and very similar camera if not the same.

caesantos
1 year 3 months ago

As someone’s said before Galaxy S5 SM G901F has the same Sony camera as Note 4, and the same processor as Note 4 (snapdragon 805). So your words mean nothing.

sexyback
1 year 3 months ago

Guys, choosing from the Note series and the S series is firstly a choice of the screen size… You basically can’t compare these models only based on their “specs”. It’s just like comparing a 13″ laptop and a 15″inch laptop only on their specs, it’s non sense. If you need the same specs on a 13″ laptop than those on the 15″, OBVIOUSLY, the price is gonna be higher, the same goes for phones… Why do you think the Note series always have better specs?
And those who already have a Note 4 and thinking about “upgrading” it to the S6, that doesn’t make much sense, you don’t upgrade, you change product line >.< Wait for the Note 5 and get your upgrade!

JohnK
1 year 3 months ago

I won’t feel the need to upgrade to S6 if it’s 16MP “only” just like my S5. I’m among the few people who like zooming on pictures and cropping for messaging. Even on my screen, i don’t display photos in “fitted” format but full resolution to get the details, and yes the pixels then count.
So i just hope that source/leak is wrong because then it may be the 1st galaxy i don’t buy since the beginning.
I won’t buy a S6 for just SW improvements since SW can and may be done later in a future upgrade to S5. S801 is already quite capable.

robertkoa
1 year 2 months ago

Yes good points and also previous Poster.

I was under the impression that the S6 Camera was going to be the best ever on a Phone and I have used my friend’s Note 4 Camera and it’s top ( have not tried Lumias) Android so far, I expected the S6 to step up with
1) Larger Sensor or Pixels possibly.
2) Or a new Sensor from Samsung or Sony
3) Or much better Lens and Software which is a step or two above Note 4 in clarity- this is possible but does not sound like “Project Zero” redesign.
Also regarding Speakers- if they have Stereo Speakers it could be a reason to upgrade- the speaker on my unlocked Alpha 850M Exynos is much more full than the AT&T Version a pair of these could be very impressive.
Also thought Samsung may have a Dual Resolution for reducing screen to 1080 to save Battery.
With a fixed Battery especially at 2600Mah I hope Samsung did not sacrifice too much function for “Thinness”.
Will you sacrifice 600Mah of Battery for 2millimeters ?
At about 8 millimeters thick S6 could have 3200Mah.
Also ” Project Zero” could have a metal backplate with screws for battery replacement- just a thought.

pcapello
1 year 3 months ago

To be real, even an snapdragon 400 os more than enough for 90% of smartphone users…

glados
1 year 3 months ago

IQ on note 4 is great but I was hoping for something with phase detect autofocus.

hot_spare
1 year 3 months ago

That “sure” should be there, as even S5 have phase detect AF.

glados
1 year 3 months ago

PDAF is something embedded at the sensor level and the IMX240 doesn’t feature PDAF.

hot_spare
1 year 3 months ago

Maybe that’s what is modified in this sensor, we will know for sure in a month.

tron666
1 year 3 months ago

probably not, i dont see much of a difference between note 4 and s6. same camera, same ram, smaller size, non removeable battery, higher price tag. what are the benefits of s6 over n4? the cpu? thats it bascially?

caesantos
1 year 3 months ago

Galaxy S5 does not use Sony’s IMX240 sensor, does it?

ANDROIDrouen
1 year 3 months ago

galaxy s5 ”plus” SM G901F get the same sony camera as note 4, and the same processor as note 4 (snapdragon 805). lol it’s better than this old metal phone.

glados
1 year 3 months ago

No, it uses Samsung’s own 16mp isocell sensor.

NoteLove
1 year 3 months ago

Seems people want to moan for sake of moaning. The Note 4 is a beastly phone already, why anyone would want the S6 after purchasing Note 4 is beyond me.

The S6 will be a great phone but no removable battery is a no go for me. Samsung will likely port over the smoother and more refined TW to the Note 4 anyway. Moaning about same sensor in the S6 as like N4 means some people just want to brag about specs of a phone. The camera on the N4 is superb, The S6 will be a best of a phone.

ANDROIDrouen
1 year 3 months ago

galaxy s5 SM G901F get sony camera, same as note 4, and same as galaxy s6 now lol

caesantos
1 year 3 months ago

Samsung’s Project Zero was meant to rebuild the Galaxy S6 from scratch, wasn’t it? I just don’t see it happening.

Sammysamsam1
1 year 3 months ago

If youcan’t already see a complete change in the approach to the s6 from all the previous models then you ar really naive

1 year 3 months ago

Project Zero is software based not HW.

caesantos
1 year 3 months ago

Software, hardware and design.

caesantos
1 year 3 months ago

Well, if it’s true, it’s not a good decision. A 20 MP camera would be more appealing. I already have Note 4 with the same camera sensor. Note 4 already has 3 GB RAM, the same amount that S6 is supposed to have. 4GB RAM would also be more atractive. Note 4 has a removable battery and S6 won’t have it. It looks like this is gonna be the first Galaxy S that I am not going to buy. Such a pity.

huhster
1 year 3 months ago

Why would you buy the new Galaxy S as well as the Note??

j2001m
1 year 3 months ago

Why it as 3gb of ram it as ddr4 ram as is so faster than ddr3 4gb on other phones plus it’s got 32gb 5.1 in side of it and a way better cpu and is 64 bit, I.e. It’s going to make your not4 look slow

NoteLove
1 year 3 months ago

That is an overstatement. Just like people screaming 64 bit yet when it comes to iPhone 5 or 5s what major difference is it compared to the 64 bit 5S and 6/6+. In the future it might be helpful. If it were me i’d upgrade Note 4 to Lollipop and from there I wouldn’t update apps from next year onwards.

What you should be afraid of is Companies like Apple etc giving you latest new OS to make your phone become obsolete, this is planned by these companies, in turn making you feel like you need a new device. Note 4 will be a great phone for years to come, your words won’t change that. S6 will be great too. FYI: Bar Lollipop most Apps are not even optimised for 64 bit yet.

hot_spare
1 year 3 months ago

Why should megapixel define the quality of sensor? One must be an idiot to think megapixels define image quality. Sony’s A7s has 12 megapixel FF sensor. I can assure you that this camera can take 10x better photo than any (yes any) mobile in the world. Ridiculous to even imagine people at this age think megapixel is everything. Why are people so stupid? megapixels mean nothing for imagine quality, period.

GoodBoyMIKE
1 year 3 months ago

This is not true since many people need more megapixels to zoom in/crop their images with a lot of detail. This is something very hard to achieve in under 20mpix sensors. So yes megapizxels actually do matter. Even more since so many people are editing photos for social media. Of course megapixels don’t define image quality per se, but their very useful. People who don’t zoom in/cropp and view photos only in native resolution don’t bother for more mpx, but there are growing number of people who want more freedom, especially in editing. For Samsung choosing between 16mpx or 20mpx is not a big deal in terms of production cost.

contentryder
1 year 3 months ago

Agreed. I edit photos a lot so zooming into a 20mp photo would be better than zooming into a 16mp photo. Megapixels does mean a thing!

caesantos
1 year 3 months ago

Sorry, but you didn’t understand what I was trying to say. Maybe it’s my poor english writing. Majority of people analize things through numbers. The bigger the better. People compare things: “oh, this one has a 16 meg camera and that one a 20 meg camera”… “this one has 3 GB RAM and that one 4 GB RAM”… and so it goes. I have a Note 4 and it’s the best smartphone I had so far. You don’t need to assure me that its camera can take great pics, I know it. I just don’t see big differences between Note 4 and S6. A metallic build and a non removable battery. Is it good? I don’t think so. I had nothing against a rear plastic build and removable batteries, by the contrary, I liked it. So I really hope that Samsung comes with something GREAT to compete with Apple and the emergent chinese smartphones, otherwise they will see S6 selling less than S5. And that won’t be good for Samsung at all.

robertkoa
1 year 2 months ago

I understand exactly what
caesantos means.
He HAS a Note 4 and though it is probably the best Android and has a great Camera, he was expecting “Project Zero” to be a major step above, with maybe Note 4 being two steps above S5 and S6 to be 2 steps above Note 4 .He is not merely counting Pixels. The Sammobile Article states it is likely the same Sensor as Note 4.
I was expecting the IMX 230 or a new large Pixel Samsung Sensor.
But they may have Engineered much more performance than even Note 4- we will see.

I love Samsung Engineering but feel their recent Designs are compromised by a silly desire to be” Trendy” – specifically the “Thinness Race” most Android Consumers in the $650 or more price range want RAW PERFORMANCE over a 6 millimeter Thin device with a protruding Camera and a smaller Battery.
If Galaxy Alpha was 8.2 mm thick with 2800Mah Battery and Note 4 Camera and specs it would have been a huge hit worldwide.
An 8.2 millimeter Device can be just as Stylish as a 6.0 mm Device and the upper echelon of Android is Performance, then Style.
I HOPE Samsung has learned this, because I suspect the Marketing Guys and Design Dept. are hampering the Engineers.
1)Performance
2) Style
NOT the Reverse.

hot_spare
1 year 3 months ago

That’s the job of marketing department to educate the customer about the quality of their product. They should give the message properly about the quality of product, and not throw just fancy numbers. Look at iphone – still sells with just 8MP

caesantos
1 year 3 months ago

People who buy iPhones think of “status”. They don’t care what’s inside their smarphones, they just want to show everybody that they have an iPhone.

MastaCow
1 year 3 months ago

Funny thing is, the guy who wants 20 MP has never viewed his pics on anything larger than a 1080P laptop screen where 5 MP is more than enough to fill the screen.

caesantos
1 year 3 months ago

By the way, I have a 4k LG TV, so I don’t see my pics in a laptop.

hot_spare
1 year 3 months ago

Even a 4k TV doesn’t need more than 8.3MP images.

Berrie
1 year 3 months ago

Exactly. The poster is calling it more ‘appealing’, so he/she does probably want to show off with the specs only. Most people are very short-sighted on this forum… :(

tron666
1 year 3 months ago

ffs -.- why it gets worse and worse every time